Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ghostbuck

How to Mod Exile/Arma

4 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am new to Arma 3 but bought it specifically to play Exile after seeing it on Twitch.  This is a great mod.  I had some of my own ideas of course to do some tweaks and new features.  Is there any good documentation/tutorials on how to build mods for Arma?  Similar, should modifications be done in conjunction with Exile or directly to Exile?  Any code documentation on Exile?  I have a strong development background but I have never modified a game, always been something I wanted to try.

Thanks!

I am glad that you enjoy Exile. Welcome to the Arma community!

But: I am afraid Arma is probably the most undocumented, modable game in the worlds history. Almost all entries in the Bohemia Wiki are done by the community. 30% of the entries there are either completely wrong, outdated or not helpful. Some things are also not documented at all, so you have to guess. Most of the configs of Arma are not documented at all, so you have to try and decrypt what is going on. On top of that, a good 15% of functions available are broken, crash the game, cause script erros or offer you infinite duping possibilities.

Exile is the very first project I was working on in Arma and I have been in the exact same position like you are now in March last year. I think more important than code and functions is understanding how things work in the background. Watch out for keywords like "scheduled environment", "unscheduled environment" and "locality". Once you have understood these, the rest is a piece of cake - and a lot of research.

As you have a good background already, please answer the following question: Will this code execute my super function?

if (false) throw { call MySuperFunction; }

If you say no, you will probably dislike how things work in SQF.

The code of Exile is not documented. We remove all comments when we deploy a version, since we swear too much in there. The main configs of Exile are very well commented.

Advertisement

Hi Eichi,

Thank you for the awesomely quick response.  Wasn't expecting a leader of the community :D  It was actually reading one of your posts that made me want to try modding the game.

I will admit, I didn't think super would be called in your snippet but I am sure I will beat my head against the wall learning a new syntax.  Also, made me glad I am not the only one who curses in my comments haha.  I will just get to researching.  One more question for you if I may.  This is obviously just a hobby/can I do it challenge for me at this point.  Is it possible to run a development version of your mod locally before renting a server?  I would assume so but again, new to Arma and modding in general.

48 minutes ago, Ghostbuck said:

Hi Eichi,

Thank you for the awesomely quick response.  Wasn't expecting a leader of the community :D  It was actually reading one of your posts that made me want to try modding the game.

I will admit, I didn't think super would be called in your snippet but I am sure I will beat my head against the wall learning a new syntax.  Also, made me glad I am not the only one who curses in my comments haha.  I will just get to researching.  One more question for you if I may.  This is obviously just a hobby/can I do it challenge for me at this point.  Is it possible to run a development version of your mod locally before renting a server?  I would assume so but again, new to Arma and modding in general.

You can run the mod locally all you want. Test servers ftw

Advertisement