Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nathan1506

Some advice needed from Exile modders

9 posts in this topic

How hard is it (i.e how much modification of code) to add CUP weapons, CUP vehicles, (instert popular AI mod here) and (insert popular zombies mod here) to Exile?

I would like to host a small (20 person ish) exile Namalsk server (upon its release) but dont want to spend a ton of time setting it up, as I have full time work and part time Uni.

I have coded before, but never in Arma. I havn't even looked to see what language it resembles, and would rather not dig too deep into it.

Thanks.

Top right of forums is a thing called SEARCH

1 person likes this

Advertisement
1 hour ago, Goatboy said:

Top right of forums is a thing called SEARCH

I dont want to know how to do it, I want to know if it takes time and effort, or if it will be a fairly quick set up. Where is the post that discusses that exactly?

4 hours ago, Nathan1506 said:

I dont want to know how to do it, I want to know if it takes time and effort, or if it will be a fairly quick set up. Where is the post that discusses that exactly?

But seeing how it is done will give you the amount of time needed to do it and how much effort it will take. All you have to do is setup traders, copy paste the class names for cup. But yah if you use the SEARCH up the top right it will show you that there are a shitload of posts and some of them have the work done for you. SEARCH is your friend. 

7 hours ago, Nathan1506 said:

How hard is it (i.e how much modification of code) to add CUP weapons, CUP vehicles, (instert popular AI mod here) and (insert popular zombies mod here) to Exile?

I would like to host a small (20 person ish) exile Namalsk server (upon its release) but dont want to spend a ton of time setting it up, as I have full time work and part time Uni.

I have coded before, but never in Arma. I havn't even looked to see what language it resembles, and would rather not dig too deep into it.

Thanks.

The thing is that it's not *hard* to set up a server. It's not *hard* to code in SQF and deal with the shit that the RV engine creates. If you never have created an ArmA Dedicated Server, never set up a mission, never changed a line of config or have written an if statement, you will be spending a lot of time creating a server. None of it is difficult, it's just time consuming. The biggest thing is to use the forums search function because there are many of people out there that have written guides on what to do. 

2 people like this

6 hours ago, WolfkillArcadia said:

The thing is that it's not *hard* to set up a server. It's not *hard* to code in SQF and deal with the shit that the RV engine creates. If you never have created an ArmA Dedicated Server, never set up a mission, never changed a line of config or have written an if statement, you will be spending a lot of time creating a server. None of it is difficult, it's just time consuming. The biggest thing is to use the forums search function because there are many of people out there that have written guides on what to do. 

Thanks for the on-topic response. Too many peopleo n here will completely ignore the question and jump straight to the "HURR DE DUUR GOOGLE IT" response.

So it sounds like it will be time consuming, maybe I will delay starting until I have more time away from Uni and work. Thanks.

This is coming from a person who managed to finally set up a server thanks to the help of this community and google. It is not "hard", but it is very time consuming and you have to be VERY accurate in your doings, There was times when I spend 4 days figuring out why the hell the server wasn't booting up just to find out that there was tiny error in my launch parameters "mod=@Exile\:<-- instead of ";" . So I would recommend to start your server regardless of what people answer you here and if run into a problem, first try to search an answer here in this forum, if you can't find one try googling it. Still can't find the problem, ask help in this forum. But I most point out that it is very time consuming. Hopefully this answer will help you. 

Br, Ricky 

Thanks SillymeX. Would you recommend paying for hosting straight away, or ironing out the kinks on a local server first? Do you have much experience transferring a local server to a host? How smooth did it go?

Advertisement