Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Patrix87

Back on the keys one more time

11 posts in this topic

Ok I know the topic is closed and I should not bring that back BUT !

What if we use BOTH Keys and Code.

Not at the same time of course but leave both in game and give the option to the player.

When you buy a car give the option to ADD a Code lock for x Poptab. Therefor the player can use the key but also the code.

Also have a KEY LOCK as an item as well as a CODE LOCK would be awesome.

So you can buy the key lock for cheap and the code lock for a bit more.

Lock some of your low-end stuff with keys and lock the keys in a safe with a codelock on it.

And by default cars have keys not codes.

What do you think ?

I'm pretty sure the result would have been much more favorable with that approach.

Anyway, in the end if you don't do it... I will :P

1 person likes this

If in fact work was done and completed for keys, how about another community booster and release that code to us to allow those that want it able to use it.

I feel the devs have set this mod up to allow a lot of customization so kick us another goodie if you wouldn't mind

3 people like this

Advertisement
50 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

If in fact work was done and completed for keys, how about another community booster and release that code to us to allow those that want it able to use it.

I feel the devs have set this mod up to allow a lot of customization so kick us another goodie if you wouldn't mind

Excellent idea. The community is about sharing! 

Given that the community was almost split in half about the vote I think there should be some form of compromise (and this is coming from me who voted against keys). But I think the way that Epoch did it for ARMA2 is set up for failure. A more sensible way would perhaps be some form of electronic keys connected to the XM8 somehow? What if the XM8 could send a remote lock/unlock signal like the wireless keys for modern cars of today? And what if these wireless keys had a cipher that other players could decode using an XM8-app? 

So, player A kills player B, approaches the corpse, uses his XM8 to do a couple of "hack attempts" which, if successful gives him/her the key to the car for X amount of time, and the ability to distribute it. Now, a modern security system would optimally rotate the cipher for such a key, so it could be valid for the time of a restart maybe? 

Code wise this would mean that every car had a list of players who could access/open it (like the building system/territory thing) and the owner could add people to this list (for friends), killing someone and hacking their XM8 means that the hacker is added to the list temporarily (stored in a temporary variable that does not save to the db). 

You wanted something unique, I give you something unique, but doesn't require a bunch of physical keys that get lost, and it won't clutter up the database.

Edited by Tobias Solem

I like key as an Item.

This way it makes them valuable.

It gives you a pretty good reason not to die or at least to go get your body !

Proximity sensor(just as in todays cars, you can keep key where you want[i would suggest stealable item]) and force lock unlock button(for safe zones) on said item or in xm8(possibly assing it to button on keyboard) ?

I go away for a few weeks an look what happens.  Do people not remember keys in A2 Dayz mod?  I remember having a safe with a dozen or more keys and it was a nightmare.  Keys for all my air and land vehicles as well as copies of keys from vehicles that were destroyed, keys taken off killed players with no car in sight, and keys that seem to reproduce on their own in the safe at night. 

I don't want to have to deal with that again.

1 person likes this

Seriously let's stop assuming that if keys are ever implemented that it would be exactly like it was in A2 epoch. I know we have nothing else to compare it to but damn think outside the box.

Keys could be a key ring item on the tool belt... could be an electronic item paired with the XM8... there are endless possibilities of how it could be handled.

In the end stop assuming it would be a physical item come up with ideas and suggest it.

31 minutes ago, Brujo said:

I go away for a few weeks an look what happens.  Do people not remember keys in A2 Dayz mod?  I remember having a safe with a dozen or more keys and it was a nightmare.  Keys for all my air and land vehicles as well as copies of keys from vehicles that were destroyed, keys taken off killed players with no car in sight, and keys that seem to reproduce on their own in the safe at night. 

I don't want to have to deal with that again.

A2 was buggy, A3 is a lot more stable. I don't thing we will see that many issues with the keys.

And they could probably even let you name them. *(in the detail section of the item, changing the display name in game is not very possible)

Advertisement