Snakeyes

Protection Payment date calculation

8 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I lost a small base today because I forgot to pay the protection payment on time. Fair enough, that is what it is designed for and I like that it cleans up abandoned bases on schedule. What does not make sense is the date calculation logic. I have the payment schedule set at 30 days on my server. If I decide to pay the protection payment one week early the calculation is [today's date + 30 days = next due date]. Therefore, there is no incentive to pay early and more of a chance to forget it and miss the date. Is it possible to change that so the calculation is the [payment due date + 30 days = next due date]? Then protection payments could be made early with no pop tabs penalty.

7 hours ago, Snakeyes1 said:

Greetings,

I lost a small base today because I forgot to pay the protection payment on time. Fair enough, that is what it is designed for and I like that it cleans up abandoned bases on schedule. What does not make sense is the date calculation logic. I have the payment schedule set at 30 days on my server. If I decide to pay the protection payment one week early the calculation is [today's date + 30 days = next due date]. Therefore, there is no incentive to pay early and more of a chance to forget it and miss the date. Is it possible to change that so the calculation is the [payment due date + 30 days = next due date]? Then protection payments could be made early with no pop tabs penalty.

But then you could essentially double the despawn time, as soon as you've placed your flag, go pay your fee and you don't have to worry about it for 60 days.

Advertisement

If I placed my territory flag and paid the protection fee the same day, the next due date would be 30 days from the date that the fee was paid. It does not look at the next due date and then add 30 days to that.  So the earlier that you pay the fee the more pop tabs you lose because of the overlap.  For example:

Protection Fee of 1000 pop tabs is due March 1.

I decide to pay it early on February 20.

After payment the next due date is March 20 rather than March 30.

I just lost 10 days worth of pop tabs for paying early. 1000 fee/30 days=33.33 per day. 33.33*10= 333.33

Okay I get what you're saying, basically the pop tabs lost from the overlap need to be taken away from the fee, that way you're not losing out by paying it early. I don't think it's entirely possible because there's no way of getting how much the last fee was, so you can't work out the refund. Any other way will end up in money duplication.

Edited by Mikeeeyy

Exactly. It's not a big deal really. It just annoys the players bit.

Why not just discount the current fee based on how much time is left? If there's still 50% left on the protection time, just discount the fee by 50% and set the new due date from the present day (like it currently does).

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, Razzmatazz said:

Why not just discount the current fee based on how much time is left? If there's still 50% left on the protection time, just discount the fee by 50% and set the new due date from the present day (like it currently does).

That should work. It's simple enough and a fair transaction.

I think the concept is that if someone comes along and pays for 3 months of protection, then they leave the server 2 days later, you've got an unused base on the server for another 88 days... 

1 person likes this

Advertisement