BetterDeadThanZed

Spawning underwater

Question

I know a topic or two exists regarding this but a quick search didn't find them.

There's a bug in the current version of Exile that causes a player to spawn underwater when they join the server. I remember reading something about it being linked to hit points. I would like to know why this happens, if there's a temporary fix for it, and if it's been fixed in the next version. The only way I've found of getting the player back onto the server is do delete their current character from the "player" table.

There are no issues reported in the server, client or database logs when this happens. Here's a dump of one player that had this issue:

(13334, 'CloudK1LL', '76561197972441756', 0.00787402, 97.161537, 78.0218277, 0, 1, 0, 90, 6032.84668, 6791.46875, 0.0821743, '2016-02-27 19:11:55', '["ItemMap","ItemCompass","Exile_Item_XM8","ItemRadio","ItemGPS","NVGoggles","Rangefinder"]', 'B_Carryall_khk', '[["optic_Nightstalker",1]]', '[]', '[]', '', 'G_Bandanna_shades', '["","","optic_MRD",""]', 'hgun_Pistol_heavy_01_F', 'H_Cap_headphones', 'Rangefinder', '[["arifle_mas_hk416_m203_v","30Rnd_mas_556x45_Stanag",12,"arifle_mas_hk416_m203_v"],["arifle_mas_hk416_m203_v","3Rnd_SmokeOrange_Grenade_shell",3,"M203a"],["Exile_Melee_Axe","Exile_Magazine_Swing",999,"Exile_Melee_Axe"],["hgun_Pistol_heavy_01_F","11Rnd_45', 'arifle_mas_hk416_m203_v', '["muzzle_snds_M","acc_mas_pointer_IR2c_top","optic_mas_Hamr_camo",""]', 'Exile_Melee_Axe', '["","","",""]', 'U_B_CTRG_2', '[]', '[["Exile_Item_CanOpener",1],["Exile_Item_PlasticBottleCoffee",1],["Exile_Item_DogFood_Cooked",1],["Exile_Item_PlasticBottleFreshWater",1],["Exile_Item_PlasticBottleFreshWater",1],["Exile_Item_PlasticBottleFreshWater",1],["Exile_Item_Matches",3]]', '[]', 'V_PlateCarrierH_CTRG', '[]', '[["11Rnd_45ACP_Mag",11],["11Rnd_45ACP_Mag",11],["HandGrenade",1],["Exile_Item_DogFood_Cooked",1],["30Rnd_mas_556x45_Stanag",30],["30Rnd_mas_556x45_Stanag",30],["30Rnd_mas_556x45_Stanag",30]]', '[]', '[["HitFace",0.008],["HitNeck",0.008],["HitHead",0.008],["HitPelvis",0.008],["HitAbdomen",0.008],["HitDiaphragm",0.008],["HitChest",0.008],["HitBody",0.008],["HitArms",0.008],["HitHands",0.008],["HitLegs",0.008]]');

4 answers to this question

as far as i am aware no fix, and or temp fix publicly available.

I don't think it's the same issue because when I checked the players before deleting their characters, their hitpoints column did not look like the one in your post.

Advertisement

Posted (edited)

Since v1.0, I'm seeing the exact same thing as @BetterDeadThanZed across multiple servers about 50% of the time when players spawn in.

Did we even get any insight into what was causing this?

New players join the server and are stuck looking at weeds in the Exile_Unit_GhostPlayer spawn location until they commit suicide.  When they suicide they are presented with a spawn dialogue with no town names to spawn at.  At this point if they click spawn they end up at the bottom of the ocean.  After that ordeal they click respawn and are presented with the regular spawn dialogue and they are able to join the game normally at their choice of spawn zone.  

If players already have an account on the server and a player in the database they join the server and are stuck looking at the weeds in the Exile_Unit_GhostPlayer spawn location, same as above.  If they suicide at that point and respawn they are automatically spawned into their player account as if they'd just joined the server correctly; the suicide doesn't delete their player records in the db.

I've played on two other public servers this week that are having this  problem.

I've replaced my entire server-side Arma install and changed the server hardware it runs on but the problem persists.  I even get it with vanilla missions although on vanilla Altis the player gets stuck in the weeds in the spawn location only about 20% of the time.  The rest of the time they stare at the weeds then after about 3 seconds they load in correctly.

In all cases where spawning in fails, Exile MOTD "We finally got to use the name Potato... etc..." is not shown.  If by chance the MOTD is shown, the spawning problem does not manifest.

Interestingly, if I use my mission.sqm from v0.9.8 the problem *does not happen* but it does happen with new vanilla mission files.

There are no .RPT or ExtDB errors.  Everything is pristine.  Currently my database has one record in it (me) and I've checked every field and every value are correct.  This is different to the "black screen / loading player data" error that people have when their DB connection is borked.

Edited by speedweasel

5 hours ago, speedweasel said:

Since v1.0, I'm seeing the exact same thing as @BetterDeadThanZed across multiple servers about 50% of the time when players spawn in.

Did we even get any insight into what was causing this?

I haven't seen this happen in many months. I also don't run the server where this happened anymore. It was on Lingor. I run Esseker now. Might be a database issue.

Advertisement