MinkiSan

Need a simple explanation

14 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I rented an Arma 3 server today specifically to run Exile. I have setup and run a pretty good Rust server and thought I could do this. My mind is swimming. There is too much information, too much to learn and I do not know where to start. 

I'm not asking for you to do any setting up for me but I do not know where to begin looking there is almost too much information available. 

If I say what I want to do would it be possible for someone to just give me the names of the mods I would need to install and if so in what order I should install them so that I can get my server running properly. I can then work through each one by one and learn as I go. 

I want exile, on Taviana with traders, automatic server restarts, admin controls (infinstar maybe but I am concerned about doing something stupid and getting everyone battle eye bans), Missions, AI or Zombies and I would also like the reputation and bounty  system added. I would also like the UI that has the pop tabs displayed on the main hud page. 

If you can imagine that the person you are talking too is retarded then it will help you to explain to me what I should do. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this and if you can help I will be eternally grateful. 

MinkiSan

I do have the names of several of the mods I just do not know if they are the right ones. I also am hosted with Host Havok if that helps. 

Advertisement
7 hours ago, wasti said:

Pay someone to set it up for you.

You can add me on steam if you would like, we can discuss cost through steam.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/wasti/

This is a solution but means I learn nothing. I would rather do it myself. I am going to keep reading and hope that at some point it starts to make sense. 

You didn't express a desire to learn anything in your posts. You called yourself an archaic term and asked what you should do to get your server running using the easiest method possible.

There is a plethora of information on the Exile website here, and it is totally possible for anyone to set up, but I would recommend setting up your server with a normal mission file first. Don't over do it on the mods, some don't work well with each other. Once your server is running normal Exile, then move onto adding stuff, one at a time. That way when something breaks, you know exactly which mod/script/ect caused it. Make backups often for easy recovery when something goes wrong.

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, wasti said:

You didn't express a desire to learn anything in your posts. You called yourself an archaic term and asked what you should do to get your server running using the easiest method possible.

There is a plethora of information on the Exile website here, and it is totally possible for anyone to set up, but I would recommend setting up your server with a normal mission file first. Don't over do it on the mods, some don't work well with each other. Once your server is running normal Exile, then move onto adding stuff, one at a time. That way when something breaks, you know exactly which mod/script/ect caused it. Make backups often for easy recovery when something goes wrong.

Sorry, I was mind spell checked into retarded, it should have said Petarded which was supposed to be a joke from family guy. 

Knowing where to start is the issue I was having so starting with a mission file is great and the advice is very helpful, thank you. I will update this post with what I have done in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation in the future and can read through my successes and failures. 

Have a look through this - 

Some of it obviously won't apply to you if you're using a GSP - but just adapt and join the bits together that look obvious. Like others said - get the actual Exile mod up and running first, then worry about adding mods etc.

Following this guide I was able to setup an Exile VM with A3xAI and DMS in about an hour or so, it's very comprehensive, lots of it is just looking through config files and configuring the settings.

Good luck!

Thanks Zeito, I have Exile running and I now need to add the mods I want to make it more fun. I am going to make a video guide. I am a youtuber and I wanted somewhere to play which was consistent. So I will link that video or series here somewhere for people who might need help. Then when I get time I will create a guide like the one you shared. It will help people like me. 

1 person likes this

53 minutes ago, MinkiSan said:

Thanks Zeito, I have Exile running and I now need to add the mods I want to make it more fun. I am going to make a video guide. I am a youtuber and I wanted somewhere to play which was consistent. So I will link that video or series here somewhere for people who might need help. Then when I get time I will create a guide like the one you shared. It will help people like me. 

All credit for the guide goes to @S. 

I'd advise you do mods one at a time to make sure they're stable and configured right for your server. I find that 'less is more' and too many mods can make the whole experience a bit cluttered and unbalanced for players.

If your server is going to be open to the public, make sure you set up something like infiStar.de for admin tools and anti-cheat, put the time in as well on the forum to find out about BattleEye filters etc. I didn't do that as my server was just a local one for testing on, but it's a real Must-have for public servers.

OK, So I wanted to change the spawn items, I thought it seemed pretty straight forward. Here is what I did.

Connect to server using filezilla and navigate to server ip/@ExileServer/addons/exile_server_config.pbo.

I opened that file with a pbo viewer and edited it with notepad. I then packed it using Arma 3 tools and then reuploaded the file, I restarted the server and logged in. 

I didn't spawn with any additional items, I used this list but removed the weapons. 

class BambiSettings
	{
		loadOut[]=
		{
			"hlc_rifle_M4",
			"acc_flashlight",
			"hgun_Rook40_F",
			"V_RebreatherB",
			"B_Parachute",
			"Helmet_VQI_HALO",
			"G_Balaclava_blk",
			2,"hlc_30rnd_556x45_EPR",