Noords

building a new server directions

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am a new member. I played some dayz, h1z1 and did not find a decent community on both. Some research led me to believe arma 3 is where the real community is.

Now i would also like to run a decent server. i would like to check my specs with you:

evga classified sr-2

dual xenon 5680 cpu

24 gb ram

dual SSD in raid 0

dual gtx 970 (is this even relevant?)

0,5 Gb fibre to home symmetrical (can upgrade to 1Gb)

I have installed and run a arma 3 server right now .

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/81.204.60.219:2302

I thought installing would require this as a first step. Looking at how to's on this forum makes me believe this wasn't a pre-requisite. my questions:

1. can i make a decent server considering my hardware and connections?  How many peeps could i host simultaniously?

2.  should i proceed from current status or delete and start from scratch?

3. any directions on how to go from here?

Regards,

Noords

48 minutes ago, Noords said:

dual gtx 970 (is this even relevant?)

No, it's not. Server won't utilize graphics cards.  Other than that, it looks like a decent server set up that should be more than capable of running a solid server. If you are concerned about server fps (which it seems like you are) I would suggest running infistar admin tools on it as well. (infistar has a lot of server side settings/configs/tweaks that can significantly improve server fps)

Also, turn off windows updates, nothing worse than gaming and then the servers operating system decides, hey, this would be a great time to update and restart.

As far as number of players, half a gig symmetrical should be sufficient to run 100; Do you live INSIDE the datacenter? lol :P

Advertisement

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Noords said:

1. can i make a decent server considering my hardware and connections?  How many peeps could i host simultaniously?

2.  should i proceed from current status or delete and start from scratch?

3. any directions on how to go from here?

1 > yes, but you should think about changing the os to some server type(arma is running decent on windows, linux has some barriers like case sensitivity which may not been setup by mods or scripts, this can bring some effort to you). the graphics cards are useless for arma

~speaking of 250kb/s per unit you would get 25 mbit on 100 slots,but im not sure if servers really get this amount of traffic, most server proviers have 1gb connections, where you can host multiply instances of arma for example

2 > you can port alot like the mission files , exile configs or other config files, the only thing is the sql database if you set it up on the same host

3 > hosting at home can give you some issues and sometimes things work other than in server environment

Edited by hieve

2 hours ago, hieve said:

2 > you can port alot like the mission files , exile configs or other config files, the only thing is the sql database if you set it up on the same host

3 > hosting at home can give you some issues and sometimes things work other than in server environment

ok, so i conclude i can go forward from where i am at. Still i might experience some issues because i'm hosting at home. Can you give me some directions to a place where i can read about further installment? and maybe expand on the " issues" ?

3 hours ago, wasti said:

As far as number of players, half a gig symmetrical should be sufficient to run 100; Do you live INSIDE the datacenter? lol :P

The netherlands is a small country, so distributing networks is relatively cheap lol. i'm not gonna tell you what it costs me, but it's really cheap. My connection is not shared but a dedicated single line, so yes.. it's like living inside a datacenter. Also i am pretty close to a mayor backbone connecting europe to US.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5163018650

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5163106574

even from in the middle of the USA, 119ms ping isn't bad, the download and upload were consistent.

The one most common issue with hosting at home is with port forwarding. Arma will use the port you specify in the start up command, and the port above it. So 2312 + 2313, or 2314 + 2315, or 2412 + 2413, ect ect.

you will also have to log into your router and forward these ports to your server computers IP address.  Your router will probably be the bottleneck that will cause lag if too many players are on your server at one time. Most common home routers are not designed with the amount of bandwidth you have available :) (the exception being http://www.linksys.com/us/wireless-routers/c/wrt-wireless-routers/ )

Another issue with hosting at home is security. If you have a spare PC laying around, it might be worth it to install a security router role Linux distribution to use as a router. You could even install three ethernet cards, and run the third one to your existing router/wifi/ect. This would also act as a more solid and capable bridge between your internet and your server, while leaving your normal home internet unaffected. However, I don't think it would really be needed unless your server got really populated. You could also just install a second ethernet card in your server, and then use it as the router between your internet and your existing router, but windows isn't very "secure" compared to what Linux/unix/ect can do.

the first thing you should think about is:

your own internet line(and maybe telephone, if you got VOIP) will be restricted or even not working if your server has large amounts of traffic or is getting attacked if you do it not properly.

Posted (edited)

I have had 120 players over 2 servers and the combined bandwidth max's at about 25MBps so 500MBps is more than enough (unless someone decides to DDOS you).

I would suggest setting up a decent firewall like pfsense  between your network and the internet to try an protect yourself as best you can.

Edited by second_coming
1 person likes this

Advertisement