Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tobias Solem

How come there are so very few dynamic missions?

12 posts in this topic

By dynamic, I don't mean the positions being random on the map, by dynamic I mean missions that aren't a bunch of AI running in a circle around a certain object. It seems like the missions in most mission packs are either a) That or b) AI spawning in a city and running around there waiting to be killed. Given the very small brain in the AI, it makes every mission very much the same. 

By dynamic instead I mean like ... AI looking for a location with lots of firefights, and choosing to intercept/cause havoc, AI spawning at a position having a patrol route and a mission themselves (blowing up a certain object, and players having to interfere), AI caravan protecting an object from point A to B, and players being able to intercept, AI air patrol scouting for a specific player that has killed another player, and droping paratroops in the vicinity whose mission it is only to kill that very player, etc. etc. - naturally I understand that making such missions are a bit harder than placing an object and having AI running in circles around it, but to me it seems really strange that given so many participants in the community, with such a vast spread of skill... that in so many years of DayZ, Epoch and Exile, so very few things like these have been attempted. Compared to the rest of the ARMA-scene, where missions like these and more are done by the dozens.

Now, I realize of course that some of these things would be more demanding on the hardware, but without a doubt it would make missions so much more engaging. Given that people actually implement outdated bugfests like the imported Sarge AI from ARMA2, I would not think that such things were such an issue.

@Tobias Solem

A3XAI offered vehicle patrols, Town AI, Roaming AI, Helicopter Patrols, Paratrooper reinforcements, Hunter AI that seek out players.

But the project/mod with officially withdrawn by the creator after too many incidents with people incorrectly setting it up and badgering him for help i think. I think the scale of creating and scripting something that offers all of the above is such a massive task for a person or group to undertake in their spare time, that it's somewhat prohibitive.

1 person likes this

Advertisement
3 minutes ago, Zeito said:

@Tobias Solem

A3XAI offered vehicle patrols, Town AI, Roaming AI, Helicopter Patrols, Paratrooper reinforcements, Hunter AI that seek out players.

But the project/mod with officially withdrawn by the creator after too many incidents with people incorrectly setting it up and badgering him for help i think. I think the scale of creating and scripting something that offers all of the above is such a massive task for a person or group to undertake in their spare time, that it's somewhat prohibitive.

A3XAI wasn't a mission system though. It was created as a single-player experience by Face who didn't really enjoy the multiplayer experience of either Epoch or Exile. What I'm referring to is actual missions, not roaming AI. A3XAI was/is a great system to use on a server where you prefer a focus on PvE, but it was not a mission system. 

I am quite aware of his reasons to leave, I was one of the people who helped test and give feedback on the early versions of his mod. Both for Exile and Epoch.

A3XAI is far too much of a resource hog to run on any reasonably populated server, maybe if it was picked up again and optimised for the half a dozen Arma updates we've had since it might be somewhat better, but I think due to the nature of how it works it would still be a resource hog.

1 person likes this

I think the shortest answer in this case would be: 

Modders/Scripters/Developers simply cannot be bothered with the amount of people that can't figure out how a readme works, and keeps bugging them for extra features, and "how can this be done?", "how do I?", "where is?", "why is it?", "IT DOESN'T WORK!!", "Please help me!!!".. 

I would love to see some more content, but most devs are very sensitive, and simply can't deal with what I mentioned above.

I think that's the root cause.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, ka0s said:

I think the shortest answer in this case would be: 

Modders/Scripters/Developers simply cannot be bothered with the amount of people that can't figure out how a readme works, and keeps bugging them for extra features, and "how can this be done?", "how do I?", "where is?", "why is it?", "IT DOESN'T WORK!!", "Please help me!!!".. 

I would love to see some more content, but most devs are very sensitive, and simply can't deal with what I mentioned above.

I think that's the root cause.

Interesting. 

How about then, a subforum for those of us who don't have an issue with these things? Where we can share stuff  I can borrow the wonderful code of apt developers, and not expect the meandering drooling zambles you refer to? 

Edited by Tobias Solem

A lot of server owners open up a server and dont even know what they are doing. This leads to lower quality servers and also to dupilcated content. There is too much copy going on in the Arma Community. New and fresh ideas, unique features would be the best way to got. At the moment its only a mass market.

A lot of servers where born, because players think they can do the same. But it should be the thinking of "i can do better".

Greets

3 people like this

2 hours ago, MrWhite said:

A lot of server owners open up a server and dont even know what they are doing. This leads to lower quality servers and also to dupilcated content. There is too much copy going on in the Arma Community. New and fresh ideas, unique features would be the best way to got. At the moment its only a mass market.

A lot of servers where born, because players think they can do the same. But it should be the thinking of "i can do better".

Greets

I agree.

However, there's this curse that even if you have something "new and interesting" (Like John on these forums for example) unless you have a long-standing name and are popular, it doesn't really matter because a big portion of those who play Exile love comfort. I've spent quite a bit of time trying different (populated) servers out though and it seems to me like none of them really have interesting dynamic missions. 

We had Senfo and Itsatrap working on something like this for our servers, but unfortunately they went onto other adventures. Man it would have been interesting to have seen that. But alas.

I have made a load of extra mission content which I could have kept to myself and my server would seem more unique than others, but I realised I had used so many things that other people gave away that I should give in return.

This has a down side for my server in the sense my "custom" stuff isn't so custom as its on other servers and as I don't have a huge player base for Exile in my community its pretty much an up hill battle to populate it when other larger servers with communities are using this stuff plus all the stuff they aren't releasing and are keeping as custom.

The downside for me is I spend half my time answering questions about the releases, documenting releases, debugging other peoples servers and answering a constant stream of questions on my mail or steam.

The downside for the community is almost all the devs and scripters spend huge chunks of time helping people set up servers who really aren't skilled enough, cant follow simple instructions, cant Google, and don't seem to be able to manage without being hand held through installing your work and quite a lot of them aren't all that appreciative when you finally find out wtf they have done, not to mention the language issues. This produces more low grade servers which new players play on and have a poor experience and quite often give up playing the mod.

The upside to the community is more servers and if people really spend time setting up then there is enough on these forums to make a pretty good server without having vast amounts of script knowledge.

After 17 years of running a gaming community, scripting, hosting, building, remaking and starting servers without knowledge I know that people have to start somewhere but even I (only releasing simple stuff but time intensive) can get frustrated at balancing doing something for my server, doing something to release to the community, answering questions and promoting my server/community and developing new things and getting help while doing it.

It could be good to work out a template for releasing various things where people quote specific stepped installs, bug fixing and reporting, plus any known cross script issues.

just my pennyworth

2 people like this

It's hard to start out. If I didn't rent a server to run Exile I wouldn't know what I need to learn. I did rent a server so wanted to utilise it. The problem is that initial week of "ok what do I do first?". 

I have been getting a lot of help from Wasti but the most important thing he has done is help me understand how and why? So he streamed when he set up the map, I chatted to him and he helped me understand what he was doing.

There is no manual and when you try to discover what Your first task is you are met with a wall of overwhelming information, but still no start point. 

without Wasti walking me through those first few days I would probably be no further forward so I intend to create a video series showing what you need to do step by step, however, I am a long way from teaching others so for now, people will still ask questions, I think though, as long as they are willing to learn and to try to understand then they should be given a fair shake of the stick.

Advertisement