Timber

Request to posters #2

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Earlier I read a thread call "request to posters," or something similar,  asking that all who have had their questions answered, marked them as "solved" so that moderators could filter through faster. I thought this was an excellent suggestion to make the threads easier to navigate.
Well, I'd like to make a request as well, as everyone is aware that before asking a question here, you should use the search tool first. I agree 100%, however, in searching you OFTEN see post where people ask a question then answer later, ""nm, fixed it", or "nvm, found it, please delete this post"", well, this is counter to what these forums are for. Yes, these forums are not only a community, but also a growing knowledge base for Exile.

So many times I followed a thread for many pages looking to see what the the guy, who had the same issue as I do, did to fix it, just to find on page 32 he said "nevermind, found it, please delete this post!"  :swearing:

If you have an issue that has frustrated enough to post here about it, PLEASE, CLOSE THE LOOP and post your resolution, (yes, even if it was just a ",") because chances are someone else will have the same or similar issue and your solution may save them the same frustration. If you don't, then these others will search in vain and be forced to ask the same question all over again and someone else will have to answer it...usually after yet another page of descriptions and rpt files....

Post your solutions folk, If the solutions are posted, more people will find answers when searching and fewer repetitive questions will need to be asked!!

Edited by Timber
6 people like this

Posted (edited)

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png.1910639be97f0

Edited by InsertCoins
7 people like this

Advertisement

Good post, followed up by a good meme.

9 hours ago, Timber said:

Well, I'd like to make a request as well, as everyone is aware that before asking a question here, you should use the search tool first

With the high number of posts being locked after being "solved", duplicate posts abound. If the moderators stop locking posts so people can reply to posts that may have had some of the information they need, then there won't be a need to open new posts. I've never seen a forum that locks so many posts. On more than one occasion I've had a post locked but I still had more questions simply because a moderator thought it was "solved". 

3 people like this

4 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

With the high number of posts being locked after being "solved", duplicate posts abound. If the moderators stop locking posts so people can reply to posts that may have had some of the information they need, then there won't be a need to open new posts. I've never seen a forum that locks so many posts. On more than one occasion I've had a post locked but I still had more questions simply because a moderator thought it was "solved". 

Reminds me of the help desk supervisor who was unhappy with me revising his performance targets.  He was being measured on how many tickets were marked 'closed' at the end of each month.

We marked this thread as solved.

just kidding..

1 person likes this

Personally thread hijacking annoys me: asking an almost related 2nd question half way down a thread or blaming someone elses script (either on purpose or by not reading forums) for issues which are obviously not related but they decide to jump on a thread which is active as they think they will get an answer quicker

Advertisement