Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JnKTechstuff

Dont do this guys

7 posts in this topic

Please dont do this guys and this isnt the first one to do this but im going to use this as an example:

361a45ea4b462d40198019a1645ce4d7.png

Like are we this desperate for players?

Seriously this is the best way for someone to NOT join your server

This isn't the only one I've seen. But it is because of posts like this that caused that. A bit of a desperate reach out imo, but that's none of my business though

1 person likes this

Advertisement

Posted (edited)

47 minutes ago, Twiztedintentions said:

This isn't the only one I've seen. But it is because of posts like this that caused that. A bit of a desperate reach out imo, but that's none of my business though

people like that dont belong here or anywhere

Edit: reminds me of this but replace kids with server

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwM_-jyKQIs

Edited by JnKTechstuff

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, JnKTechstuff said:

people like that dont belong here or anywhere

Edit: reminds me of this but replace kids with server

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwM_-jyKQIs

I know what you mean. But if I'm not mistaken, can not advertise servers on here to try to get people to play on them. So this is the alternative I guess. Wonder how desperate people will get for players after some people quit from the physical PT change. Edited to not hurt nobody's feelings that doesn't support the change. 

Edited by Twiztedintentions
Edited to not hurt nobody's feelings that doesn't support the change. 

Posted (edited)

I understand them to an extent. 

You spend so much time and effort setting a server up, you cater to the few players you have, you become committed to that effort spent and it sucks to give up. Then after months of almost no players you get desperate, start making promotion videos, talking to players that played on your servers a year ago or more, start thinking that it's the features that aren't good enough and spend 30 hours / week working on unique features, bumping threads on forums. Eventually you start talking to people on steamchat that your empty server is "the bomb" and watch them ignore you forever. And then you sit down and come to the realization that none of that really was worth it.

The key to a successful server is nothing of what I just described. It's about first building a community, have friends, play games together. Make more friends, have them join the community, once you have enough people active in your community, then you build a server. It can be done the other way around, but then you need several active admins, a development team that know what they're doing, a test server so your live server doesn't get broken updates, and an ability to promote your stuff on a professional level (or having tons of Internet-fame/or the support of someone Internet-famous). I don't think there's one single popular server out there run by one guy. Only a team can make things happen for real.

Edited by Tobias Solem
1 person likes this

Some people might find this a shitty way to do it but tobias is right. Make friends when youre playing on a another server for a few months then while you are playing with those friends setup a private server on your own machine and play around with installing scripts/some light coding. Pitch the idea to your friends and when I say friends I mean start out with no less then 15 people. That is more then enough to get people playing on a server and getting it populated

I mean don't get me wrong, I do understand why it's done. If I was to sit down and decide to actually run a server, like I've been thinking about doing anyways mainly for the control aspect, I'd want to have players too. After time spent into development and setting up it'd probably agitate me a little if nobody liked and wanted to play on it cause it'd make me feel like I've wasted my time. But at the same time I'd remove somebody with a quickness if they was all in my face about "get on this server get on this server get on this server", can get annoying ya know? 

Advertisement