Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tobias Solem

Mod performance-optimization

Question

Posted (edited)

First of all I want to get one thing out of the way, yes I do realize there is a big limitation in ARMA 3, the engine isn't really made to handle what mods like Exile is doing, in a multiplayer environment we will never see the same performance as a non-building, non-database-driven persistent universe. I get that. 

With that out of the way I first want to say I applaud you devs for what you have done with Exile, it is a great foundation for what I like in an ARMA-mod. But I still have a couple of... shall we say, pet peevees, namely base parts and performance. Some of the things I will be suggesting I only have a laymans insight into, whereas others I do understand why they are as they are, so please bear me if I sometimes sound as though I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to make a valid judgment, it is because I'm not, but perhaps you could shed some insight on the topic to give a better perspective for the community.

* Can we combine base-building objects into one building part?

Having, for example two walls connected like an L - this would then count as one base building object instead of two. Essentially reducing database usage/load by 50% for buildings needing those two parts now made into one. Indeed the amount of polygons rendered in the visual engine would be the same amount. But would this not reduce the strain on the server? Also, what happens if we take it one step further and make base building "templates" (think Fallout 4) where we have several walls, floors and a ceiling made into one object that can be placed, like a rectangular box shape with some boards missing as "multi-piece building objects". Level three of this reasoning is to have a full "basic" base, like three by three floor boards and roofs with walls and a door. 

Question:

- Theoretically, would enough be gained performance wise by working with a base building model like this? 
- Is the lesser amount of "creative opportunity" worth the possible performance increase?

* Could we add/change the way we think about bases by using the available buildings in ARMA?

For example, perhaps building could have degrees of "upgrades", think like: adding codelocks to regular building doors as level 1, having a complete new model for the house with barricaded windows, metal barred doors, and wired fence around the roofs, etc. - effectively making the building model "one" single building object, still a base, but far less of a strain on the engine/database, but a fitting "in-game" solution that looks compatible with the setting, it should be far more easy to barricade an already existing building than creating one from scratch (this option obviously would require quite some work from NIUVA). 

Kuwait-invasion-house-protection-3286.jpbaricading.jpgTLOUR_suburbHouse.jpg

Question:

- Would adding a building mode on top of the current one be worth the 3D-modeling effort for potentially performance gains? 
- Do you agree that this would work with the setting?

Edited by Tobias Solem
1 person likes this

7 answers to this question

Breaking Point is using the second method. I played it alot and to be honest it was a horrible design. Glitching was easier than ever which led to the  "protection" script which unloads all the object inside the building unless the owner enters the correct pincode. Your first idea sounds much better but I dont have the knowledge to evaluate the possible performance gain if there is any.

I guess I put this in the forum-section where nobody visits or cares. ;)

Advertisement
10 minutes ago, Tobias Solem said:

I would hazard a guess it's more because it's kind of addressed to the Devs who are probably working their butts off to fix the mess of the 1.58 update and provide an update to Exile. Just a guess.

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Tobias Solem said:

I'll visit this topic all night long baby, just say the word

14 minutes ago, InsertCoins said:

I'll visit this topic all night long baby, just say the word

Are..are you cheating on me?! :o

7 minutes ago, kuplion said:

Are..are you cheating on me?! :o

I'm a big boy, plenty of me to go around. But never fear, you are my favorite lion!

4 minutes ago, InsertCoins said:

I'm a big boy, plenty of me to go around. But never fear, you are my favorite lion!

Well..that's..ok then. I guess. :P

Now, who wants a moustache ride?!

1 person likes this

Advertisement