taikonaut

rant [SOLVED] This *was* a rant.

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

TL;DR: Exile breaks me. I'm done.

 

This is a rant.

I'll possibly change my stance in a couple of days, but for now, I'm done with Exile.
So, if you don't feel like reading a rant on this beautiful sunny morning, move a long. Nothing to see here.

<rant>

I have been hosting ArmA servers for quite a while now, starting with simple ArmA2 missions, DayZ Mod, Overwatch, Epoch, Overpoch, all from heavily modded server with 50+ scripts in various complexity to the pure lore of vanilla, from totally deserted servers to servers being maxed out every evening. One might say, I'm quite experienced and I know my way around in the treacherous business of hosting ArmA servers. 4 years of pain and frustration and joy and excitement.

Now I've had it. After dealing with the Black Screen of Death over the last month with a fix finally working for me, delivered by the lastest Bohemia-hotfix, all went to shambles again last night. My modded Exile server run smoothly over the last couple of days, slowly but steadily gaining some traction with about 12 players yesterday. "So", I thought, "things are finally going uphill again." My enthusiasm was given a burst by a great day of solid stable gameplay, firefights and fun.

Oh, how I have been wrong.

Restart came at 20:00h. BEC shutdown the server, my watchdog fired it up again, players came back in. I watched the DarT console and saw players connecting, disconnecting, connecting, disconnecting. Messages trickled in via WhatsApp... "Yo dude, server's broken!"

Wait. What? 

I tried myself, after getting the kids to bed. Nothing. Black Screen. Exile-GUI loads in, scenery wouldn't come up. Nothing... I waited. Killed the server. Restarted. Nothing. Disabled BattlEye, nothing. Black Screen Of Death. Nothing in the server-logs, nothing in the client-log. No strange objects in the database, no integrity issues with the database. No changes to the hardware, the server setup or the ArmA server setup.

I. HAVE. CHANGED. NOTHING.

Literally NOTHING. Zilch, nada, zero.

So, what the actual fuck.

I fired up my local testserver. Black Screen Of Death. I checked the checksumed the files with Stream, client- and serverside. Nothing.

I yield. I submit the files to the orcus of dev0. It's so unstable and I'm not willing to continue sinking hour after hour of work in it.  Maybe there are mistakes I've done. Maybe. Before restart, all was fine, after restart, all is fucked. This is my experience. 

I'm saddened. Because I genuinely think that Exile is one of the last great sandbox experiences for ArmA3. I laude the devs for submitting the serverfiles to the public (contraire to other groups who sit on their serverfiles, having deals with server-providers and still having big issues with stability) and open the gate for the great joy of modding. For this is what ArmA is all about. A toolbox for us to create great worlds and stories.

</rant>

 

So I conclude my rant. As I said, maybe I'll return, when there is a glimpse of intelligence in my gray matter, that brings up another idea about what went wrong. Maybe there will be a great hint by you guys, like so often. 

For now, I'll sign off, host and play a little Wasteland or King Of The Hill to soothe my sore soul. At least I've never had a Black Screen Of Death there.

Cheers.

Edited by taikonaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

welcome to ArmA 3 man a game of mods made of mods.

Bohemia Interactive should never release an update untill the devs have a fully working mods that dont need a patch or 2 just so you can play it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
16 minutes ago, taikonaut said:

TL;DR: Exile breaks me. I'm done.

 

This is a rant.

I'll possibly change my stance in a couple of days, but for now, I'm done with Exile.
So, if you don't feel like reading a rant on this beautiful sunny morning, move a long. Nothing to see here.

<rant>

I have been hosting ArmA servers for quite a while now, starting with simple ArmA2 missions, DayZ Mod, Overwatch, Epoch, Overpoch, all from heavily modded server with 50+ scripts in various complexity to the pure lore of vanilla, from totally deserted servers to servers being maxed out every evening. One might say, I'm quite experienced and I know my way around in the treacherous business of hosting ArmA servers. 4 years of pain and frustration and joy and excitement.

Now I've had it. After dealing with the Black Screen of Death over the last month with a fix finally working for me, delivered by the lastest Bohemia-hotfix, all went to shambles again last night. My modded Exile server run smoothly over the last couple of days, slowly but steadily gaining some traction with about 12 players yesterday. "So", I thought, "things are finally going uphill again." My enthusiasm was given a burst by a great day of solid stable gameplay, firefights and fun.

Oh, how I have been wrong.

Restart came at 20:00h. BEC shutdown the server, my watchdog fired it up again, players came back in. I watched the DarT console and saw players connecting, disconnecting, connecting, disconnecting. Messages trickled in via WhatsApp... "Yo dude, server's broken!"

Wait. What? 

I tried myself, after getting the kids to bed. Nothing. Black Screen. Exile-GUI loads in, scenery wouldn't come up. Nothing... I waited. Killed the server. Restarted. Nothing. Disabled BattlEye, nothing. Black Screen Of Death. Nothing in the server-logs, nothing in the client-log. No strange objects in the database, no integrity issues with the database. No changes to the hardware, the server setup or the ArmA server setup.

I. HAVE. CHANGED. NOTHING.

Literally NOTHING. Zilch, nada, zero.

So, what the actual fuck.

I fired up my local testserver. Black Screen Of Death. I checked the checksumed the files with Stream, client- and serverside. Nothing.

I yield. I submit the files to the orcus of dev0. It's so unstable and I'm not willing to continue sinking hour after hour of work in it.  Maybe there are mistakes I've done. Maybe. Before restart, all was fine, after restart, all is fucked. This is my experience. 

I'm saddened. Because I genuinely think that Exile is one of the last great sandbox experiences for ArmA3. I laude the devs for submitting the serverfiles to the public (contraire to other groups who sit on their serverfiles, having deals with server-providers and still having big issues with stability) and open the gate for the great joy of modding. For this is what ArmA is all about. A toolbox for us to create great worlds and stories.

</rant>

 

So I conclude my rant. As I said, maybe I'll return, when there is a glimpse of intelligence in my gray matter, that brings up another idea about what went wrong. Maybe there will be a great hint by you guys, like so often. 

For now, I'll sign off, host and play a little Wasteland or King Of The Hill to soothe my sore soul. At least I've never had a Black Screen Of Death there.

Cheers.

yeeeeaaaah, so basically you are done with Arma? If you haven't changed anything, maybe a database issue? Did you check the RTP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, InsertCoins said:

yeeeeaaaah, so basically you are done with Arma? If you haven't changed anything, maybe a database issue? Did you check the RTP?

Been there, done that. I'm not done with ArmA, I'm done with Exile for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

alright, if you don't want any help have fun being angry/sad.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, hogansheroes said:

welcome to ArmA 3 man a game of mods made of mods.

Bohemia Interactive should never release an update untill the devs have a fully working mods that dont need a patch or 2 just so you can play it.

No need to welcome me. I've been living with ArmA for years. And yes, Bohemia updates ArmA and breaks mods. 'Tis always been like this and there is no way for them to cater all needs of all modders. I've had the BSoD problem pretty much since Pomelo.

Edited by taikonaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, taikonaut said:

Been there, done that. I'm not done with ArmA, I'm done with Exile for now.

Exile is one of the best, easiest mods in Arma.  Go host some Wasteland servers and despair.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, speedweasel said:

Exile is one of the best, easiest mods in Arma.  Go host some Wasteland servers and despair.

I agree. Still, it doesn't work for me since Pomelo. And I don't know why. I don't even know, if this tied to Pomelo.

Edited by taikonaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, taikonaut said:

I agree. Still, it doesn't work for me since Pomelo. And I don't know why. I don't even know, if this a tied to Pomelo.

it's probably some mod or other. If you want help with this, open a topic and people will fix it with you in a jiffy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

taikonaunt

i have a napf server that im trying to get going everything works on it from missions to some roaming peed off ai there is just the one issue that im struggling with is that the server frams drop bigtime when you are in it ,in saying this the server fps is running at 50+, i feel at times to have a rant but i try to work around it if not ask for help.

for my server the performance has been installed and all the other stuff also but trying to fix the lag has been giving the headaches.

so i feel your pain but never give up and ask for help man thats why we all come into the forums for is for help and advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.