Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hiatus

[CLOSED] AI Convoys

3 posts in this topic

It's likely that this has been suggested before, sorry if this feels like the hundredth post on it or something.

I know a lot of people that I play with who have suggested roaming AI; people have had lots of interesting and different takes on it - from small groups of bandits that employ guerilla tactics to ambush you, to armed helis with troops. I'd like to expand on one particular aspect of this if its feasible. 

After you have a few hours in Exile and have gotten used to the way your average mission works, the majority of them become very easy indeed. The real challenge most of the time is how to safely transport the loot from the lovely folks who wait for missions to complete before storming in, or those who wait on nearby roads.

A big part of the reason for this is that missions are continuously marked on the map, and that AI don't move much. The AI on the hardcore missions can definitely deviate a fair bit from the mission area if they are aggravated, but most of the time you know where the AI will be before you have even gotten in your vehicle. This allows for very easy planning and rapid execution.

I believe that with the exception of the top tier missions (AI Island, Bomos Invasion, Kore Factory, Slums Base, Mercenary Base, Kavala Castle, Stop The Mayor), several aspects need adjustment, in particular the ability to see all the missions on the map at any time. 

To that end, I suggest the following system (no clue if its feasible or not). Instead of seeing the mission pop up and being able to see it on the map instantly, players get a pop up for coordinates where an AI convoy was last spotted. These AI convoys would follow several possible routes from A to B (assigned randomly), meaning that it would be difficult for players to predict the convoy's movements. The players only receive the popups when the convoy stops, at which point soldiers will take up nearby defensive positions. They also only receive the popups when they are within a certain radius (possibly 5k?) of the convoy, thus reducing clutter and making sure that players don't get swarmed by notifications. These convoys would obviously have different grades of difficulty, ranging from a few Land Rovers/UAZs to Strider HMGs etc. 

This has several positive impacts. First, players have to actually plan their mission attempts, and helicopters will actually be used as an eye in the sky instead of a vehicle pickup. It also reduces player clash on missions since players will have to roam around and find missions themselves rather than having the exact point readily available to everyone in-game. Lastly, when the mission is complete, the coordinates should not be given - they should only be given to provide the convoy's location when it is still up.

As I said, it's likely that many have suggested this, but let me know what you think!

Cheers

1 person likes this

I would also like to see mission with a variety of objective, and not just "kill all the AI to get the reward." Perhaps something like secure the vehicle, where attempting the mission in an incorrect way can cause the vehicle to be destroyed. So something like "securing the documents from a camp". With regards to the convoy missions, I mostly agree with your suggestions because the mission objective could be to secure the main vehicles with the cargo intact. This would restrict the ability to just AT missiles or mindlessly killing all the AI as fast as possible to complete the mission. Again, mission variation is key to keeping Exile fresh and relevant. 

I would also like a big revamp with big hardcore missions like AI island and Kore Factory. At the very least there should be a counter for how many waves of AI's are left. Its not that these missions are too hard. They feel quite lazy, almost like people couldn't think of a way to make a mission more challenging, so they just added an obscure amount of waves to make these missions frustrating.

This has nothing to do with Exile core mod. 

From what I can see you're both talking about DMS, 
Please suggest this on the official DMS thread. 

Closing thread, as it has nothing to do with Exilemod vanilla.

Advertisement