Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
papahyooie

BEC and Windows 10 upgrade

Question

So last night my server decided to auto update to windows 10 from windows 7. Auto updates turned off and everything. Thanks Microsoft. 

But that's a whole other can of worms. 

My problem now is, BEC will not connect to my server. Literally NOTHING has changed, except the operating system. Ports still the same. Directories the same. Drive letters, IP addresses, it's all the same. 

To make it more complicated, it connects fine on my second server...........

Does anybody have any experience with this happening? 

8 answers to this question

7 hours ago, InsertCoins said:

did you check the ports just to be sure? if they are open?

Yea, i did a netstat to make sure that there was nothing else binding the port. Nothing was.

But, luckily, I finally stumbled upon the answer late last night.

Permissions...

BEC, as well as the script that kills arma to trigger the restart, need to be run as administrator. Normally when I try to run batch files as admin, they just disappear with no output. But if I schedule them as task in windows task scheduler and set them to run as admin, they work just fine. 

Still doesn't explain why my other server works fine without it, but now that I know the problem, that part will be easier to track down. For now, just using task scheduler is a good enough workaround. 

1 person likes this

I haven't been able to connect dart or any other rcon to a non local machine since Arma updated to 1.58, I also have win 10. Maybe that's why none of the fixes brought up worked for me. But for shits n giggles have a peek around in here.

Supposedly you can alter beserver.cfg and fix it. Maybe you're luckier than I am. 

1 person likes this

Advertisement
7 hours ago, oSoDirty said:

I haven't been able to connect dart or any other rcon to a non local machine since Arma updated to 1.58, I also have win 10. Maybe that's why none of the fixes brought up worked for me. But for shits n giggles have a peek around in here.

Supposedly you can alter beserver.cfg and fix it. Maybe you're luckier than I am. 

I appreciate it. I'll read up in there. I can connect with DaRT just fine though! It's infuriating lol!

And as the plot thickens, I set my restart script as a scheduled task in windows (it was previously triggered by BEC) and windows says it ran the script successfully... but the server didn't restart. 

It's maddening!

did you check the ports just to be sure? if they are open?

Just to check, does Windows 10 (the piece of shit that it is) come with the loopback adapter enabled by default? If not, that'll be why you can't connect locally but can to a remote server.

Not applicable, but yes, windows 10 has a built in loopback adapter.

This has nothing to do with connecting to a remote server, these are all on the same machine.

6 minutes ago, papahyooie said:

Not applicable, but yes, windows 10 has a built in loopback adapter.

This has nothing to do with connecting to a remote server, these are all on the same machine.

Ah ok, I assumed the second server was a different machine; my apologies.

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, kuplion said:

Ah ok, I assumed the second server was a different machine; my apologies.

No problem. I guess I never specified. :) 

Advertisement