jaspoe30

Modding school idea?

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So, I had an idea after seeing a lot of posts over the past few months/weeks regarding licensing issues and posts regarding server owners making their own mods to avoid pissing off mod creators that don't want mods on monetized servers (I completely understand btw). I'm the server admin for Old Guys Gaming PvE, we aren't monetized and don't take donations for items. If a player wants to donate to keep the server running, that's great but we don't force anyone to do so. However when it comes to creating our own mods or scripts I don't have the slightest idea how to mod/script or even where to start. I've attempted it in the past and feel like I'm trying to figure out Chinese or something without any reference to said language. I would love to have a server with unique mods....I don't think there are many server owners/admins who wouldn't love that but I'm afraid my mental capacity to teaching myself stops when I have to push more than one button. Would there be any interest in the community to have a modding class sub forum or something? I know that it's asking a lot from the people that can mod/script but having someone that is knowledgeable to help you through the basics could help a great deal and would provide the framework for more mods and better servers. Anyway it's just a thought. Let me know what you all think.

Edited by jaspoe30
1 person likes this

Brilliant idea, I would love to know how to make some simple scripts to solve bugs or make changes to my server and to others.  it's amazing to see the scripts that people make on here to solve problems.

I don't know where to start or how to find basic tutorials on how to do this.

I can understand why some wouldn't want to share their knowledge in scripting but it would also be a shame not to show others how to do it and maybe then it would help giving out advice and fixes on this forum.

Advertisement

Language is C++, but it usually boils down to what you want to work on.

Professional programmers have an almost easy time coding features (think of ACE) compared to amateurs, however if what you want to work on is content then everyone starts from nothing pretty much.

It's not just the language you need to know, but how everything is interlaced together, how the models work (you don't need to be a professional modeler but you need to understand what you're looking at), how their behavior can be modified. This boils down to a lot of trial and error usually, and i seriously mean a lot.

Some stuff is not even documented by BI and it's just hidden knowledge you have to figure out yourself.

The learning curve is very flat, but if you're persistent and motivated enough once you reach a decent amount of knowledge it's almost all smooth sailing.

The hardest thing i found out to be terrains... i spent most of the time fighting against the awful tools and the awful workflow, then there's object placement and terrain manipulation (editing the heightmap, editing the satellite map and materials, etc) that require a variable amount of time depending on how big the terrain is and how good you are with photoshop/gimp/you name it.

The samples provided by BI are a good place to start, i also recommend you start simple, like making a simple one-trick-pony mod (ideally a gun) and work your way up from there.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Both posts have some useful information (especially like the tutorials section on killzonekid) but it's not quite what I was trying to get to. I was thinking more of a forum where a person could go and start a thread for a script or mod idea and then a volunteer could walk them through the basics on how to get it started. Kind of like a mod/script academy or something. I can envision the top part of the forum with useful stickies like links to resources and small tutorials or something. Maybe it's not a realistic idea and the logistics behind it wouldn't work but it was just a thought. I know it's asking a lot from the community but who knows...it might work?

Edited by jaspoe30
1 person likes this

Well its better to learn the basics because there is so much out there to learn. Like I said if you know C++ you would have no issues with working on arma scripting. If you want to learn C++ I suggest grabbing a free IDE and using http://www.learncpp.com/

1 person likes this

So, just a brief introductory, I'm NonovUrbizniz, I worked on DayZ Sahrani, SMD Sahrani A2, SMD Sahrani A3, and CUP Terrains.

Modding in Arma is by no means easy, or lacking in frustration. I did a series of video/text tutorials intended to summarize the "armaverse" of modding, including all the different areas, and how to setup a modding environment, as well as some points on author's rights, and the licenses.

For those without any coding/scripting knowledge or experience, please keep in mind I have hardly any formal coding education, and I learned enough to ham hand stuff together to some degree... However much of modding has nothing to do with codding at all, there is modelling assets, texturing assets, configuring assets, terrain creation, as well as mission making, or making scenes or assemblies in the editor for use as map set pieces/feature areas on a server/mod.

Here's the Intro to Modding in Arma tutorial playlist:

I may or may not continue with the tutorials, I've kind of stopped modding for the last year. 

There are LOTS of resources and tutorials out there though, so if you have the desire, and the tenacity, you can literally do ANYTHING in Arma.

1 person likes this

@Razor77 @jaspoe30  I wouldnt mind showing you the basics and getting you help. I have alot of patience and enjoy helping others. So PM me if you want to talk about it more!

1 person likes this

I am currently developing a mod specifically designed for a server which @zisb and I, are going to run, it'll obviously take a lot of time due to 3D designing models, textures, functions all that jazz.. He does have some knowledge in regards to get objects into Arma 3, which helps me alot as well, because I didn't know jack shit before he got involved with me. There is plenty of useful tutorials etc around the web, Google is your friend in this case, although don't expect to find a decent tutorial on UV mapping for models, that's based on "Trial by fire, baby!". 

Arma is horrible to work with, but once you get the hang of it, it'll be easier, but still quite a big headache :D

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, ka0s said:

I am currently developing a mod specifically designed for a server which @zisb and I, are going to run, it'll obviously take a lot of time due to 3D designing models, textures, functions all that jazz.. He does have some knowledge in regards to get objects into Arma 3, which helps me alot as well, because I didn't know jack shit before he got involved with me. There is plenty of useful tutorials etc around the web, Google is your friend in this case, although don't expect to find a decent tutorial on UV mapping for models, that's based on "Trial by fire, baby!". 

Arma is horrible to work with, but once you get the hang of it, it'll be easier, but still quite a big headache :D

god thats so true.  

10/10 Review - IGN 

1 person likes this

Advertisement