speedweasel

Using Eden to configure/edit the Exile mission?

Question

Are there plans to make Exile easier to work with using the Eden editor?  It would be good to be able to place markers, objects and configuration modules directly into the mission file via Eden.

It’s not difficult to edit the Exile scripts once you’re familiar with them but it’s a steep learning curve for new admins and even if you know exactly what you’re doing, it’s still a time consuming way to edit the Exile mission.

Like many mods, configuring Exile involves hand-editing config files; editing arrays of data, cutting and pasting object coordinates into script files, looking up object class names and generally spending time that might be better spent elsewhere.  I’ve made five trader cities and each time I spent far longer hand-editing initServer.sqf than I did designing or placing objects in the editor.  That, and missing commas, semicolons and braces in config files must account for half the posts in the support forums.

Trader city props, contamination zones, AI spawn locations and most of the settings in mission\config.cpp could be handled by objects, markers and modules placed directly into the mission file.  Mods like ALiVE and ACE3 use placeable modules like this and they’re a joy to use.  Their modules come pre-configured with sane values making config errors almost impossible.

The mission .pbo might grow by a couple of hundred kilobytes but surely that’s a small price to pay for admins to to get their time back?

1 person likes this

1 answer to this question

I can't answer the first part as I don't know the answer. But I can tell you that things like contamination zones etc are unlikely to be changed since what you're talking about are "triggers" and they have horrible performance effects if too many are placed. Exile has it's own well designed system to handle players being in set area's of the map to avoid using them. You might have noticed those effects on servers that runs Zombies. When you walk into certain areas you get small lag spikes, that's generally because you've just walked into a trigger which has told Arma to spawn zombies near you.

Going back to Eden part, there will most likely be a switch over at some point as BIS have plans to remove the old editor from the game completely. I can imagine that will probably be near the release of APEX.

1 person likes this

Advertisement