Mr Sin

Ban Reason

7 posts in this topic

Hello! I have a small quality of life feature request - 

When you ban someone using the announce or silent, you can give a reason for it. Would it be possible to have the reason for the ban show up next to the UID in ban.txt?

At the moment, the ban reason is only shown to the person you ban. This just might make the ban.txt easier to read and make changes to as at the moment, all it is is a list of UIDs.

Let me know what you think/if this is possible

Hey
since we don't use the arma_ban.dll anymore but the #exec ban function from arma3 - we're not writing anything in the ban.txt that's done by Arma itself when executing #exec ban

we can't do that with a "reason"

however- it's still logged in the server rpt + if you are using arma_log.dll it's also logged into your "BANLOG" txt file :)

but we could just add another  row or even table to the game-server db and store the information there, if you would like that?

Advertisement

I completely forgot about the ban log. This is the kind of thing I am looking for. The only issue I have with it is that the data is spread out across loads of different files. I like that the other logs are all organised daily, but we don't ban users daily :D

Would it be possible to change the ban log so that it logged a months worth of bans rather than a days worth for each .txt file?

You might want to look into using Big Brother Bot (B3). It's mainly a tool for kicking and banning players but also comes with periodic announcements and some other features. I use it for all bans because it logs the ban to a database along with who banned them and why. They also have a web interface that lets you edit or add bans. I still use Infistar for general admin functions and if B3 stops running for some reason, I will use Inifstar to ban a player.

2 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

You might want to look into using Big Brother Bot (B3). It's mainly a tool for kicking and banning players but also comes with periodic announcements and some other features. I use it for all bans because it logs the ban to a database along with who banned them and why. They also have a web interface that lets you edit or add bans. I still use Infistar for general admin functions and if B3 stops running for some reason, I will use Inifstar to ban a player.

I briefly looked into BBB but imo it's just unnecessary. 

1 hour ago, Mr Sin said:

A Simple RCON tool should suffice.

Just tab out and ban.

4 hours ago, Mr Sin said:

The database is the biggest plus for B3. I can go in and easily look up who banned a player and for what reason from the web interface (Called Echelon). I can also ban a player right from the Echelon. The announcements are nice too. It uses little resources on a dedicated server and can run as a process under Firedaemon, TCAdmin, etc.

Advertisement