mumpitz

Building high above the ground

Question

Posted (edited)

Hello,

wanted to ask this question in 'ask a dev' but somehow it wouldn't let me.

i'm trying to build a base on the ocean (at the very edge of the altis map)

i've overcome the problem how to place a flag out there (it's ~1m above sea level and ~160m above ground level)

now when i try to place wooden floors to build some kind of foundation it tells me that i'm inside enemy territory and can't build there.

i asked the server owner but he told me it's most likely an exile-sided issue.

anyone knows what's producing this?

i think it could either be :

1. building on the ocean is simply not wanted and therefore blocked by the devs

2. it's a leftover from the time where the territory radius was 2d to prevent skybases

if someone could shed some light in here (eventually a dev?) and tell me if this is intentional or not and will be fixed in the future i would be very thankful

i also found this thread about this topic - sadly without any answers so far : 

thanks in advance,

mumpitz

Edited by mumpitz

7 answers to this question

It's not a bug. The flag radius is set ATL (At terrain level) and not ASL (At sea level).

2 hours ago, Mr Sin said:

It's not a bug. The flag radius is set ATL (At terrain level) and not ASL (At sea level).

Yea I know it's probably more or less intented but since flag radius is already 3d and not 2d why not set it around the flag itself? I'm no coder so I don't know if it's limited by game mechanics in any way - but in my opinion this only restricts base variety and fulfills no real surpose & sky base building would still be pretty much impossible - except you find a way to place a flag up there. So why?

Advertisement
4 hours ago, mumpitz said:

Yea I know it's probably more or less intented but since flag radius is already 3d and not 2d why not set it around the flag itself? I'm no coder so I don't know if it's limited by game mechanics in any way - but in my opinion this only restricts base variety and fulfills no real surpose & sky base building would still be pretty much impossible - except you find a way to place a flag up there. So why?

You realize building on or near water is going to be problematic correct? Bases built over water tend to have all kinds of little bugs associated with them. Some even become straight up death traps (just going inside them or walking up stairs will kill you). You could get lucky and have zero issues but it's unlikely.

The last base I built had a 32 story tower on it, so maybe in this case it's just the water being a pain?

The radius starts at zero for the z coordinate. Since the sea floor is zero, you are far too high up, outside of the "dome"

It may make sense to make the flag the center of a sphere (to some people at least), but the developers didn't do it that way. So unless they change it, you're SOL. 

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Timmay said:

You realize building on or near water is going to be problematic correct? Bases built over water tend to have all kinds of little bugs associated with them. Some even become straight up death traps (just going inside them or walking up stairs will kill you). You could get lucky and have zero issues but it's unlikely.

The last base I built had a 32 story tower on it, so maybe in this case it's just the water being a pain?

We always had an over water base since epoch (altough not more than 50m away from the shores) - and we made them in exile as soon as they fixed the bug that the base parts followed the waves underneath while in build mode. In epoch they were 100% deathtraps (not so much because it was build above the water but in general) but in exile we never encountered any problems because the individual parts seem to be saved with more detailed coordinates which prevents these little gaps you probably all knew from epoch and the early exile days to develop after restarts. Aside from that we had zero problems so far despite having multiple over water bases on multiple servers.

Edited by mumpitz

7 hours ago, papahyooie said:

The radius starts at zero for the z coordinate. Since the sea floor is zero, you are far too high up, outside of the "dome"

It may make sense to make the flag the center of a sphere (to some people at least), but the developers didn't do it that way. So unless they change it, you're SOL. 

Well that's why I am here - I would like to know why they decided to make it like that. Maybe it's just something that slipped under their radar and could be fixed in the future?

13 hours ago, mumpitz said:

Well that's why I am here - I would like to know why they decided to make it like that. Maybe it's just something that slipped under their radar and could be fixed in the future?

I can't speak for the devs, but I'm sure it was a design decision instead of "slipping under the radar." Less data having to be written and pulled from the DB (only two coordinates instead of 3) plus I believe it was to combat "Sky bases"

If you find a place just offshore that has very flat ground underneath the water then you'll have no problem. If the ground underwater is very unstable, then the pieces will "jitter" and cause death whenever you walk across them. 

Advertisement