Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sosad

storage diversity

9 posts in this topic

I mentioned this in another thread but thought it worthy of its own topic. As someone that does a lot of a base building one of the the things i have noticed in the arma 2 & 3 mods is a massive lack of diversity in lockable storage and what is in there just feels wrong. In epoch your only means of lockable storage is a safe and lock box, two tiny things that seam to hold huge amounts of gear and in exile a safe that hold very little. 

what i would like to see is some diversity in lockable storage both in terms of capacity and security. What i would suggest is the following:

1: The lockbox, small box with a three digit padlock, enough capacity for a bits of equipment and ammo, maybe a pistol and a pair of nvg's, some ammo, a gillie and a bit food and drink, you aint going to be fitting your snipe rifle in there though.

2:The locked storage shed, a three digit padlock, huge capacity good for storing everything with medium security.

3: The safe, a four digit lock, can hold plenty of mass but only objects of small size, good for things like explosives and high end tech, not a lot of guns though.

4: The gun cabinet, a steel cabinet with a four digit lock, good for a dozen snipers with ammo and some pistols.

I know nothing of the development side but i'm guessing these would not be complicated additions and would be very worthwhile putting in 

2 people like this

Here is something I just don't understand. What's the big need to store large amounts of items when everything is easily available in a store? The best base is already there for you, and you're 100% guaranteed that no one will hack it and clear out the contents. 

Sure, a few weapons to switch to if you are attacked and want to switch between ie sniper or mg when defending your base, but other than that?

1 person likes this

Advertisement

I'd have thought it was pretty obvious what the need for having storage in bases just works - it allows fast and free gearing, especially useful for large groups, people who are in more remote locations and will be more relevant once a large loot table is introduced and the need for more and more items is built into the game. It also allows convenient storage of gear ready for trade runs, I know our group does this when the server is quieter and there's less PvP action to enjoy.  Let's also not overlook the obvious incentives and rewards these bring for base raiding when people naturally use these storage repositories. 

Obviously if you aren't into that, then there's no need for larger storage, but having larger storage is definitely an issue for many, especially groups and something that has proved very popular on other mods. If it works and there is a demand for it, why fight it?  Horses for courses but for me, a game such as this is always going to have the demand for larger storage. 

Edited by Boxman80

Here is something I just don't understand. What's the big need to store large amounts of items when everything is easily available in a store? The best base is already there for you, and you're 100% guaranteed that no one will hack it and clear out the contents. 

Sure, a few weapons to switch to if you are attacked and want to switch between ie sniper or mg when defending your base, but other than that?

horses for courses, some people don't like building bases and accumulating gear and others do, you're the former i am the latter.

When i loot a barracks i like to go sell the stuff i am not keen on and take my weapons of choice back to my base for when i need them. It is very rare i purchase from the traders as i like to use the gear i loot. I operate from my base, i choose a location that is fairly handy for when i spawn and opt for missions that are not a million miles away, that way i re-kit from my base as apposed to doing it from the traders.

many players prefer to do this especially as you only get half of the replacement cost of equipment when you sell it. If i sell my weapon of choice at the traders instead of storing it when i want to buy it i can only purchase one of them for every two i find. 

Also when it comes to groups like ours we have people that play often and accumulate wealth and friends that come on from time to time that have nothing. Its nice to have community gear stored so these friends can go to a shed and kit out and join in the fun 

Edited by Sosad
addition to post
1 person likes this

I mentioned this in another thread but thought it worthy of its own topic. As someone that does a lot of a base building one of the the things i have noticed in the arma 2 & 3 mods is a massive lack of diversity in lockable storage and what is in there just feels wrong. In epoch your only means of lockable storage is a safe and lock box, two tiny things that seam to hold huge amounts of gear and in exile a safe that hold very little. 

what i would like to see is some diversity in lockable storage both in terms of capacity and security. What i would suggest is the following:

1: The lockbox, small box with a three digit padlock, enough capacity for a bits of equipment and ammo, maybe a pistol and a pair of nvg's, some ammo, a gillie and a bit food and drink, you aint going to be fitting your snipe rifle in there though.

2:The locked storage shed, a three digit padlock, huge capacity good for storing everything with medium security.

3: The safe, a four digit lock, can hold plenty of mass but only objects of small size, good for things like explosives and high end tech, not a lot of guns though.

4: The gun cabinet, a steel cabinet with a four digit lock, good for a dozen snipers with ammo and some pistols.

I know nothing of the development side but i'm guessing these would not be complicated additions and would be very worthwhile putting in 

Agree. You've already taken the safe from epoch so bring over the lock box and storage sheds, gun racks, etc.

Agree. You've already taken the safe from epoch so bring over the lock box and storage sheds, gun racks, etc.

but make the sheds lockable or better still give both options, a storage shed that can be upgraded with a padlock if desired.

Just to be clear I'm against padlocks on sheds. Also, you typed your own reply into my quote.

If push come to shove I'd say keep the storage sheds as unlock-able, just in the interest of keeping some element of danger to the game and giving base raids some incentive. 

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0