✪EightyFive

tanao Official Tanoa server in the future? and your view on zombies?

20 posts in this topic

Hi!

I am enjoying the Official Exile Altis server and i like the idea of you hosting official servers. The difference in fps, loot-lag and desync is huge, and i get a much better gaming experience on this server than on any other i have tried.

 

So, to my first question; Do you plan on putting up an official Tanoa server in the future? I would definitely play on this and i am sure many others think the same. I think this would shine more light on the official servers aswell, something that would get more people to report back to you.

And my second question; What is your view on zombies? Is this something you would put on such a server or would this work contradictive to what you want to achieve with such a server? The reason i am asking is that, personally, i find zombies to fill some sort of hole in the gameplay and it makes survival harder on another level than the possibility of getting a bullet to the head. You have probably answered this question a thousand times, but i wanted to throw it in here while i was on a roll.

 

I tried searching for answers before writing, so if these questions have been answered in the past, feel free to punish me as you see fit :)

 

-Eighty

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

With regard to Zombies, I recall this or a very similar question being asked before and the response was essentially "No".

Exile isn't intended to be DayZ or any other post apocalyptic zombie mod - but you can make it whatever you want.

Me personally; I love a DayZ style post apocalyptic zombie mod, along with appropriately themed missions, roaming AI, hard to find food & water (gear in general really), no traders (or at least extremely high priced traders) and so on.

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ✪EightyFive said:

The difference in fps, loot-lag and desync is huge, and i get a much better gaming experience on this server than on any other i have tried.

If the server had a high population with lots of constructions and vehicles it would slow down just like every other server

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

FPS AND DYSNC yeah, the reason that their server is a lot better on FPS and desync is because they don't run any mods a long side Exile. Also, and this is in only a few cases, a lot of the servers that you see are ran by people that don't know what they are doing (I'm speaking in general here) There are also servers that the people truly know what they are doing and write very efficient code.

But, the servers that have a copy paste dev (which we are all guilty of this at some point or another) literally find a tutorial on how to install something and don't think about performance overall. As server owners we have to be careful about what scripts/mods we add on our servers. This is why I have a test server as well (you're crazy if you don't....or crazy good at what you do). So, in a nut shell...missions + roaming AI + player count + construction count + random scripts = slowed down server. Ryan zombie itself runs over 100 threads server side.

On to zombies, Exile, from what I have read from them and heard from them will never have any type of Zombies or AI antagonists. Why? because Exile itself is a base mod. It was built with the intention of being customizable by the server owners. Which is awesome, this is why we have so many different flavors to choose from.

Exile having official servers, YES! This would be awesome, but I think they will only run them when they are doing their RC testing (RC stands for release candidate) This is their final stage of testing before releasing a patch to the server owners who will go crazy and overwrite files and change it to the needs of their server. Each server owner invisions Exile in their own way and I LOVE EXILE for that simple reason.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SaintZ said:

FPS AND DYSNC yeah, the reason that their server is a lot better on FPS and desync is because they don't run any mods a long side Exile. Also, and this is in only a few cases, a lot of the servers that you see are ran by people that don't know what they are doing (I'm speaking in general here) There are also servers that the people truly know what they are doing and write very efficient code.

A lot of desync is caused by people with potato computers or shitty internet joining the server too, you'll see the transmit errors and retries in the rpt or if you turn on netlog. When they start lagging out it can cause a storm of rebroadcasts to all the other connected clients. In some cases the server itself will just freak out and all hell breaks loose. You see it a lot more in A2 though. A3 is pretty good about shitty clients from how A2 operates.

Hardware is another consideration. Servers running at game hosters tend to be a VPS and you're stuck with how well managed that host is. A lot of the hosters will overload the hosts with too many VMs or additional arma servers instances and well, you can only squeeze so much performance out of a host. People running on dedicated boxes in a datacenter, will get much better server performance, instead of some desktop plugged into a cable modem (which some people do too). There's a lot that goes into server side performance :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

A lot of desync is caused by people with potato computers or shitty internet joining the server too, you'll see the transmit errors and retries in the rpt or if you turn on netlog. When they start lagging out it can cause a storm of rebroadcasts to all the other connected clients. In some cases the server itself will just freak out and all hell breaks loose. You see it a lot more in A2 though. A3 is pretty good about shitty clients from how A2 operates.

Hardware is another consideration. Servers running at game hosters tend to be a VPS and you're stuck with how well managed that host is. A lot of the hosters will overload the hosts with too many VMs or additional arma servers instances and well, you can only squeeze so much performance out of a host. People running on dedicated boxes in a datacenter, will get much better server performance, instead of some desktop plugged into a cable modem (which some people do too). There's a lot that goes into server side performance :)

oh yeah, I know that I only scratched the surface but yeah, it was kinda my rant about server owners that get a server not even knowing how to comment stuff out.....I mean seriously....there's a lot like that...So many people I have been trying to help in the forums, I ask them for their RPT and they say.....uh....where can I find that.... or another guy that I told to just comment something out and test the server like that and go from there....was wanting to know how to comment something out... I am far from efficient, but I do know what my resources are and how to be careful. I do not claim to be an amazing high end efficient coder....now you wanna get into 3D modeling...im efficient as fuck lol but yeah I was just trying to get the concept across that there is a lot that goes into server performance and the reason that the official server runs so smoothly is that they are only running vanilla exile and there aren't a million constructions and player history and bs like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaintZ said:

oh yeah, I know that I only scratched the surface but yeah, it was kinda my rant about server owners that get a server not even knowing how to comment stuff out.....I mean seriously....there's a lot like that...So many people I have been trying to help in the forums, I ask them for their RPT and they say.....uh....where can I find that.... or another guy that I told to just comment something out and test the server like that and go from there....was wanting to know how to comment something out... I am far from efficient, but I do know what my resources are and how to be careful. I do not claim to be an amazing high end efficient coder....now you wanna get into 3D modeling...im efficient as fuck lol but yeah I was just trying to get the concept across that there is a lot that goes into server performance and the reason that the official server runs so smoothly is that they are only running vanilla exile and there aren't a million constructions and player history and bs like that.

Oh yeah, I feel your pain. Tried to help one guy on the epoch forums once, gave him some pointers on how to fix a script he was having trouble with...wouldn't get it...mentioned, well this is a good place to start to learn the scripting aspect...he said "fuck that shit i just want it to work"...needless to say, stopped helping him lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SaintZ said:

On to zombies, Exile, from what I have read from them and heard from them will never have any type of Zombies or AI antagonists. Why? because Exile itself is a base mod. It was built with the intention of being customizable by the server owners. Which is awesome, this is why we have so many different flavors to choose from.

 

Yeah thats what i had in mind when i asked the question as well. I know it's built to be a base mod, however, seeing the popularity with zombies in this mod it might also be in their interest to keep the concept of zombies closer to the mod, monitor and maybe even have a saying. Not saying this is how it should be, just throwing my thoughts out there. When I play on a good "ExileZ" (in lack of better word for it) it feels like that's how it should be.

The same goes for missions (yes another thing to bloat the server). Missions, in the same way as zombies, fills a hole in the gaming experience. 

Having either one of these, or both, on a server would most likely keep the number of players in a higher count as it gives you a lot more to do/beware of.

 

The reason I even asked this question in the first place is the amount of bloated servers that have awful gaming experience due to server overload, and maybe as mentioned, inexperienced server owners. Even the big ones. I tried joining a CCG server with zombies late last night when the population was low, and the desync and loot-lag was awful, and the fps was half of what I use to get.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SaintZ said:

Exile having official servers, YES! This would be awesome, but I think they will only run them when they are doing their RC testing (RC stands for release candidate) This is their final stage of testing before releasing a patch to the server owners who will go crazy and overwrite files and change it to the needs of their server. Each server owner invisions Exile in their own way and I LOVE EXILE for that simple reason.

yeah and they already have one for Altis. I think deploying one for Tanoa would be a good choice as well. 

I know everyone have their own opinion on what they want exile to be, and hardcore gamers like me suffer on the end of this as looking for the perfect server sometimes is hard XD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.