Kinloch

SERVER FPS

Question

Hi all,

I am somewhat new to running an Exile server and have an interesting problem. I am renting a 30 slot server from  GTX Gaming  and have only added Infistar, DMS and DMS occupation and we are getting massive server FPS spikes and after about an hour of gaming we are down to about one FPS on the server.  I have DMS set to 4 missions and occupation set to only spawn in 50 AI, with missions we can get to around 75 AI total. There are no bases and i have limited the spawned in vehicles quite drastically. This server FPS is with 2-3 players playing and DMS is offloading AI to the clients. 

If i run just vanilla Exile we get a constant 50 server FPS but as soon as i add an AI mod it behaves as described above, i have also tried various combinations of VEMFR, A3XAI and Sarges AI but all with the same results and strangely the servers CPU usage never goes over 25% and the memory usage never over about 10%.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as i am tearing my hair out trying to make it work. I am happy to post up RPT files or config files whatever might be meaningful to make it work.

10 answers to this question

The more AI, the lower your server FPS. The answer is quite simple. The server you are renting can't handle the amount of AI you have.

I run a 30 slot Exile Esseker server with no missions. I have A3XAI, which only spawn AI as someone approaches an AI spawn area, except for the two helicopters and three vehicle patrols, and I have Zombies and Demons, which also only spawns AI when someone approaches an area. My server FPS rarely gets down to 25 even with a full server. I rent my own dedicated server, which is quite a bit more expensive than renting from a GSP but I've lost all faith in GSP's.

1 person likes this

Arma is very bad programmed and barely optimaised, as you may of noticed on your server.

Base rule is:

• More Vehicles == More Lag
  • More Ai == More Lag
  • More base parts == More lag

Advertisement

It's basically because you're using a game server hosting service. They overload their hosts generally. If you really want to get decent performance you want to do what @BetterDeadThanZed said and get a dedicated server from a datacenter, but it's more expensive. You can always shop around hosts until you find one that doesn't suck too.

This pretty much confirms my suspicions and makes me wonder how GSP's keep customers. We are a fairly small bunch so the costs of a dedicated server are probably a bit of a stretch but we will look into building our own server and see how that goes.  

23 hours ago, Kinloch said:

Hi all,

I am somewhat new to running an Exile server and have an interesting problem. I am renting a 30 slot server from  GTX Gaming  and have only added Infistar, DMS and DMS occupation and we are getting massive server FPS spikes and after about an hour of gaming we are down to about one FPS on the server.  I have DMS set to 4 missions and occupation set to only spawn in 50 AI, with missions we can get to around 75 AI total. There are no bases and i have limited the spawned in vehicles quite drastically. This server FPS is with 2-3 players playing and DMS is offloading AI to the clients. 

If i run just vanilla Exile we get a constant 50 server FPS but as soon as i add an AI mod it behaves as described above, i have also tried various combinations of VEMFR, A3XAI and Sarges AI but all with the same results and strangely the servers CPU usage never goes over 25% and the memory usage never over about 10%.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as i am tearing my hair out trying to make it work. I am happy to post up RPT files or config files whatever might be meaningful to make it work.

make sure you have the client offloading and freezing options activated in DMS and it should help even with a lower spec server

It disables simulation on the AI when players aren't in range (effectively freezing them on the spot) so takes workload off the server (as the server would be simulating them if they aren't offloaded to a client).

When I switched it on, on my low spec test server the fps went from around 25-30 to 50 with zero players and around 150 AI.

Interesting, i will have to investigate. I guess its DMS's way of getting around not dynamically spawning AI. they just sit there frozen til you approach their vicinity. 

5 hours ago, second_coming said:

It disables simulation on the AI when players aren't in range (effectively freezing them on the spot) so takes workload off the server (as the server would be simulating them if they aren't offloaded to a client).

When I switched it on, on my low spec test server the fps went from around 25-30 to 50 with zero players and around 150 AI.

The problem with that is when you have AI vehicles that are frozen on a part of the map that players don't go to too often. You get no AI vehicles because they are just stuck there.

4 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

The problem with that is when you have AI vehicles that are frozen on a part of the map that players don't go to too often. You get no AI vehicles because they are just stuck there.

that's why I disable freezing on them in Occupation so that they continue roaming.

Advertisement