Timmay

Help an Idiot with Server Restarts

Question

Posted (edited)

What is the best way to deal with restarts with a host? We have a scheduler but if  I take the server down to update say, DMS then it throws my whole schedule off and isn't in sync with the exile_server_configs settings then I have to do #shutdown myself and it seems to not force an update to the database when I do that which is apparent from the reversion of some players status, vehicle positions, etc.. Our host also has something that I have been taking advantage of that sees exiles shutdown command and restarts, but I don't think its doing a full restart because after that, its hit or miss if exile will shutdown the second time around.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would be OK with just using exile to shutdown but as I said above it does it once and after the server comes back online it is hit or miss if exile manages to execute #shutdown again.

Edited by Timmay

7 answers to this question

I had the same struggles.

I now use a combination of Exile for the lock 5 minutes before shutdown, Kick 3 minutes before shutdown.

I use Infistar for the messages and the actual #shutdown command.

I use this SIMPLE yet no fail restart script i created. ( its so simple you will doubt if it works... it does forever.)

Echo off
:Loop
Timeout 1
start /min /wait "Repack" /low "Auto_repack.bat"

start /min /wait "arma3"  /low "arma3server.exe" -port=2302 "-config=Config\cfg\Config.cfg"  -bepath=F:\arma3_server_Napf\BattlEye "-profiles=F:\arma3_server_Napf\RPT" "-cfg=Config\cfg\basic.cfg" -name=Exile "-mod=@Exile;" "-servermod=@ExileServer;" -world=empty -nosplash -noSound -noPause -enableHT -autoinit
timeout 1
Goto Loop

The Auto_repack.bat uses Cpbo to repack my mission file after every restart, just in case i need to make a change then can't wait till the server fires off a restart. If there is no change, the clients do not have to re-download the mission file every time.

c:
cd\
cd C:\tools07072010\cpbo //REMOVE THIS COMMENT - This is the directory of Cpbo.
timeout 2
cpbo -y -p F:\your servername\mpmissions\Exile.yourmissionname //REMOVE THIS COMMENT - This is the command to pack your mission file.

timeout 5
exit

I hope this helps.

Advertisement

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Spackler said:

Do you run BEC or have the option to?

I tried BEC. Worked AWESOME with A2.. With A3 many have luck , i have never been able to get it to work. 

I will not use a full RCON client again until i write my own. (its a Windows 10 APP and Windows phone app). 

Edited by GamersRoost

28 minutes ago, GamersRoost said:

I had the same struggles.

I now use a combination of Exile for the lock 5 minutes before shutdown, Kick 3 minutes before shutdown.

I use Infistar for the messages and the actual #shutdown command.

I use this SIMPLE yet no fail restart script i created. ( its so simple you will doubt if it works... it does forever.)

The Auto_repack.bat uses Cpbo to repack my mission file after every restart, just in case i need to make a change then can't wait till the server fires off a restart. If there is no change, the clients do not have to re-download the mission file every time.

I hope this helps.

I appreciate the reply but I use a hosted server so I am not sure this would work for me.

5 minutes ago, Timmay said:

I appreciate the reply but I use a hosted server so I am not sure this would work for me.

ah, ok well that is always a consideration.

Sorry man.

Josh

32 minutes ago, Spackler said:

Do you run BEC or have the option to?

The host we use currently doesn't have BEC functionality. Might bug them about it, or get them to implement something custom for Exile. The scheduler they have just brute force restarts which isn't good for the database of course.

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, GamersRoost said:

I tried BEC. Worked AWESOME with A2.. With A3 many have luck , i have never been able to get it to work. 

I will not use a full RCON client again until i write my own. (its a Windows 10 APP and Windows phone app). 

Actually I can use an RCON client, which would you suggest if any that can do what I need?

Edit: Hooked on phonics didn't work for me, read your post again and realized you said you would NOT use one. NM

Edited by Timmay

Advertisement