Long Beard

Periodically Show Player Positions on Map?

6 posts in this topic

To encourage PVP on my server I would like to display player positions on the map periodically. Is there a way to do this?

There might be a script somewhere i advise allowing you players to turn it off or on as well if they do not wish to participate in the "show me where players are and show other players where I am" sort of thing.

1 person likes this

Advertisement

Posted (edited)

You know this would be unfair to those who are good in using stealth right? ( as long as you have 3rd person active it would of course screw over those who love to "kemp" rooftops in 3rd person ) and force them to move and expose themselves.

Edited by Enforcer1975

47 minutes ago, Enforcer1975 said:

You know this would be unfair to those who are good in using stealth right? ( as long as you have 3rd person active it would of course screw over those who love to "kemp" rooftops in 3rd person ) and force them to move and expose themselves.

We're a semi RP server with a admin controlled bounty & Law system. If someone is killing players frequently, then they get a bounty and their 'last known' (rough) position is periodically marked on the map allowing the other players to hunt them for the reward. So far it's been welcomed and enjoyed, but is dependent on admin being online. Was looking to maybe automate it a little.

On reflection however, I think showing all players, even the peaceful ones would be counter productive so for now we'll stick with the manual version.

1 person likes this

I have played on servers that have something like this active. I am pretty sure it went based off of players in the characters LOS. Regardless of if YOU saw them or not, if your character had LOS on them, a green indicator appeared on the map just like when you see a party members indicator on the map only with no distance/name info. Didn't play on that server long enough to figure out what dictated how long those indicators stayed up. It was on an Esseker server with zombies and whatever script this was also marked zombies with their own unique emblem. The indicators for both player and zombies were real time so it made it WAY to easy to track players. As long as you spotted them, you could just check the map to see where they were exactly and where they were heading. It was very OP and definitely took away any stealth factor that may have been there otherwise. 

What RuineR is talking about is just regular settings or rookie whatever it is.  Most servers run veteran or better which has that disabled.  Noob mode if you ask me.

Advertisement