Janski

Learn to script in ArmA, Exile and ExAd - Webinar

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi, 

So I suggested to host a webinar in the ExAd thread for people who wants to learn how to write XM8 apps for the ExAd framework but after some consideration I decided that it's probably better if we talk about scripting in ArmA, Exile and ExAd.

During this session we will develop a configurable statsbar which will consists on an HUD/overlay on the screen. This bar will display a number of stats components which can be hidden upon clients request and the bar should have several themes the clients can choose from.
When the bar is finished we will develop a XM8 app were the client can change the statsbars configuration settings. 

This webinar will be free of charge and the video will also be published on the ExAd YouTube Channel for scripters who wanna watch it again.
Poll is closed and the date is set to 31st of July 2016 at 21:00 (GTM+2)

Hope to see you all there.

/Jan

Edited by Janski
10 people like this

52 minutes ago, Janski said:

Hi, 

So I suggested to host a webinar in the ExAd thread for peolpe who wants to learn how to write XM8 apps for the ExAd framework but after some consideration I decided that it's probably better if we just talk about scripting in ArmA since most of all the questions I get are related to not fully understand ArmA scripting.

There is no change that I'll be able to talk about everything so to make it easier for me I'm gonna let you propose some ideas for scripts I can build in the webinar and I'll prepare some material for it. 
This webinar will be free of charge and the video will be published on the ExAd YouTube Channel.

Now I want you to vote on which day fits you best in this poll and then write a comment below what project you would like me to build during the webinar. 

Very nice offer! I suggest an marketplace app, like an auction house for Items.

Advertisement
27 minutes ago, [RG] Salutesh said:

That sounds pretty complicated and there is something like that already called MarXet. If I had to suggest some sort of class thing perhaps the basics of making an XM8 app, like show some kind of template. Or something like showing making trade towns with Eden and the 3DEN plugin, how to set animations for NPCs and stuff. Or maybe like "sqf scripting for complete moerans" where you go into the silly basics of sqf like arrays and variables n sheet...

2 people like this

The scripting for morons sounds right up my street. :)

2 people like this

1 hour ago, [RG] Salutesh said:

I'mma just gonna drop this here and leave....

2 people like this

2 hours ago, WolfkillArcadia said:

I'mma just gonna drop this here and leave....

Sorry i totaly miss that >_>

On July 26, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Razor77 said:

The scripting for morons sounds right up my street. :)

Same. I get there's a lot of very talented people here. They should understand there is just as many if not more that have no idea how to script, or even install basic mods ( me! ) it would be nice to have how to videos or step by step instructions for scripts.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, ArchAngelOfDeath said:

Same. I get there's a lot of very talented people here. They should understand there is just as many if not more that have no idea how to script, or even install basic mods ( me! ) it would be nice to have how to videos or step by step instructions for scripts.

I basically started out reading the intros to scripting on the BiS wiki. 

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Main_Page

I have a background in programming and database administration though since I do it for work, so it's a little easier for me. 

I highly recommend looking at all that stuff, and KK's blog: 

http://killzonekid.com/category/games/arma-3/

He is really good at explaining how to learn this stuff with videos etc. It's a great site for learning this stuff. Use the debug console to play with scripts too. I love the stuff infistar put in for running scripts from the admin menu, I use it a ton when I'm working on stuff, especially dialogs/XM8 apps.

You should also learn some stuff about MySQL, very important if you're going to administer a server.

Also, notepad ++ with the sqf language plugin is your friend :) The syntax highlighting is awesome. I also use this to compare files:

http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=dl4

It will help you understand what people change in their code if you compare the old to the new. It's great for merging stuff too without having to redo scripts when people update stuff and you change it.

I almost never use any scripts or mods vanilla, I usually end up altering them to work with whatever I've done already. You'll find that when you start modding you'll have to tweak things a lot so everything works properly, and how you want it.

3 people like this

This thread isn't made for support. So please refrain from posting support questions.

Advertisement