Caatalyst

Bugs and Game Play Balancing Feedback

Question

Hello Exile Mod Team,

First let me say a huge thank you to creating such an absolutely fantastic mod. I haven't been this hooked on anything in a long time. I can say with so much happiness that this game is destroying my real world life :-D

Unfortunately the current version, 1.0 Potato is absolutely riddled with real game breaking bugs. I know you guys are already working flat out and this mod is done in your own time with zero funding - I can completely relate to this and respect you a great deal. Nevertheless bugs are bugs! And I'll do my best to report my experiences without too much frustration! Some of what I'm reporting below might not directly relate to the mod. It could be the Arma engine or the CCG Essker with dogs and zombies server which I play on. I'm happy to do my part and report to the necessary developers if that helps!

High Tier Flag Capturing 
Not sure how many people have tried capturing a level 10 flag before. My experience doing this has taught me that it is impossible to do this solo unless there is a wall or vehicle very close to you while you are capturing. This is because your character gradually moves further and further away from the flag while the capture bar is going up and you are doing the capture animation. I have no idea why this happens but I spent about an hour trying to capture a flag only to keep getting the 'failed - too far from the flag message'. A work around is to get a friend to stand behind you and keep nudging you during capture but I'm sure I don't need to explain why this can cause problems with the game play and applying certain strategies to capturing.

Wall / Stairs / Floor Glitching Whilst Attacking or Surveying Bases
This has happened to me qutie a few times. Simply walking down stairs in another players base and sliding into the wall can result in the glitching message and instant death. Very annoying if you've just captured a base and your only way out is a chopper above you loaded with equipment (This has happened to me yes and it cost me 20k.). I've also died logging in next to a stair case in somebodies base instantly. The player / player made base collision system definitely needs improving.

Pop Caps in Vehicles and Safes Disapearing
This has happened to me a few times. I've put pop caps in vehicles and safes (all locked of course) and when I relog later on the pop caps have disappeared. I can't help pin point what the root cause of this problem is. It could be server / server restart related.

Loading into the Game
I'm sure nobody is a stranger to the out of memory error, the freezing on the loading map, spawning in an empty world etc. This is a real game breaker and I really hope it gets sorted!

Crashes When Certain Weapons are Fired
This happens to me often and i've seen it happen to others plenty. When you fire a certain weapon it causes the memory crash. No idea which weapons exactly. it seems to be random. The good news is that the player who crashes becomes invulnerable so you tend not to be dead when you log in!

Vehicles Sunk in the Ground (Think this might be Esseker Specific)
Like quite a few of the already stated bugs, I think the devs are probably already aware of vehicles sinking into the ground in Esseker making them impossible to drive until a server restart or sometimes relogging your character. It's all find and dandy unless each time you have to relog it takes about 10 attempts before you actually get in!

Also just a few other points...

• Knives are incredibly rare to find, and the success rate seems to be even rarer. I've yet to get a car to hot wire past 60%. I get it, you don't want to make it too easy but it seems a little difficult considering i've tried about 5 times. I did the same vehicle twice once and it got to 60% both times. What about if you try a second time with another knife it carries on from where you left off? Assuming you do it before restart.
  • Respect is very imbalanced at the minute and this could be something I need to put to CCG. I think you lose about 5% each time. Unless you nuke a load of players in their base it is basically impossible to generate respect. Especially considering how much you die, and all the bugs above really help to dying a hell of a lot.
  • Flag Capturing should provide a respect reward as well as pop caps. Even if it is only like 25%. It aint easy blowing through walls and capturing flags and it can take blooming ages. This might really help with the respect imbalance.

That's all from me folks! Again you guys are doing a damn cracking job and I look forward to wanting to smash my computer to pieces for the foreseeable future.

8 answers to this question

@Caatalyst

Wall / Stairs / Floor Glitching Whilst Attacking or Surveying Bases: arma...

Loading into the Game: arma...

Crashes When Certain Weapons are Fired: again arma...

Vehicles Sunk in the Ground (Think this might be Esseker Specific): Nope, arma....

First building i walk in, i find a knife.

all servers are able to balance / change this stuff. besides things that are arma related. If you find a server that's "poptabs" aren't balanced they've probably modified it.. 90% of these things are configurable to the server owner.

6 hours ago, serveratze said:

same problem on altis and tanoa  vehicles sunk in the ground... [exile features it sucks]

It's arma... it's been a known issue for awhile now. way before Exile was even a thing.

Advertisement

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, serveratze said:

the epoch mod does not have these problems . how can it be due to aram ???

vests and uniform bug is a known trouble...  and it is not even on arma 

these 2 bugs only occur in exile and in no other good arma mod...

why the hell should arma the problem ...  all other good mod do not have this trouble

they want to make us believe that at arma located lol  I laugh me broken  

translate.google

Dude then go play epoch dude, either help fix it or go do something else. Your the worst feature iv seen so far.

There are reasons why exile blew epoch out of the water. Cause epoch wasnt on top of there shit so Exile Mod showed them what they should of been doing.

Edited by Metalman10

1 hour ago, serveratze said:

the epoch mod does not have these problems . how can it be due to aram ???

vests and uniform bug is a known trouble...  and it is not even on arma 

these 2 bugs only occur in exile and in no other good arma mod...

why the hell should arma the problem ...  all other good mod do not have this trouble

they want to make us believe that at arma located lol  I laugh me broken  

translate.google

60bf39c234.png

Yep, arma bug.

Also Epoch does have these problems.

1 person likes this

@Caatalyst well to talk about what you posted, i agree with you 100% with that exile mod is better than anything iv seen. Other than ofc Happy Wheels. But besides that. Arma WILL be arma. No one understands it. I think we all gotta just accept that arma will fuck you in the butt and we just gotta play along. Make best of what exile mod is and enjoy your time and be grateful we even have access to exile mod. But the community is always releasing new scripts. Maybe one day someone might add in something that you listed!

9 minutes ago, serveratze said:

best mod ever and all bugs come from arma.

Incorrect. i never said "ALL" bugs are from arma.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

So I can definitely confirm pop caps disappear from vehicles after restart. This just happened to me. Lost about 7k.

So from what you guys are saying, 90% of the faults are a result of the Arma engine. Again I appreciate all the hard work and effort put into this mod, but I do believe we shouldn't just write off the problems because it's BI's fault. I mean the mod is probably losing players as a result of them. I can't even think of how much respect and pop caps and gear I've lost because of all the crashes and bugs. 

Exile has an excellent community and surely we can work together to approach Bohemia Interactive to see if they can offer any support to the Exile devs?

We could have a sticky thread with a template message to post on the Bohemia support page. If one of the mods or devs put something together highlighting these bugs and could link every player who reports them on the forum surely we would start to get their attention? It would also save mods and devs time on the forums having to respond to the same threads over and over. I'm happy to help where I can! 

Edited by Caatalyst

Advertisement