Loot3d

CPU Almost Maxed + Server FPS Dropping

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So, my exile server that only has DMS and exile is running at really high CPU usages pretty much all the time and server FPS drops quickly after 20 players are in the server.
Is this common or is there something wrong with my setup?

Startup Params:
-maxMem=8192 -enableHT -noLogs -noPause -noSound -skipIntro -noSplash -high -malloc=xtbbmalloc 


Usages:
77b45a5922ec109f29792f9dca7e4081.png

Server:

Description: Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 (Haswell 3.6ghz)
Number of CPUs: 1, with 4 total cores
Speed of CPUs: 3.60 ghz
Type of CPUs: Intel Xeon Quad-core
Amount of RAM: 32 GB
Standard hard drive size: 2000 GB
SSD hard drive size: 240 GB
OS: Win2012 R2

 

Edited by Loot3d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems odd to me but my player count is low in comparison. I run my server on a quad core i5 with 8GB RAM and a local mySQL DB. I have DMS, Occupation and ExileZ2 running on it and it typically sits around 30% cpu load with a few players online (Bloody Zed ;) ). It does spike to about 50 - 70% when DMS missions are spawning in however just for a few seconds and FPS typically stays above 20 during these "high load" periods so doesn't impact players.

I wouldn't have expected to see a server without the likes of ExileZ2 & Occupation running to have CPU load that high but we'll see what other people say.....

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Posted (edited)

Honestly, I'll have to check on next restart but I believe it's jumping up to that load at around like literally 10 minutes into server launch. I understand players would raise it, but I doubt it would be this quick. Do my startup params look fine? That's the only thing I could think could be the issue?

Edit: 46 people on, server fps 10 and dropping. 1 hour untill restart on a 4 hour cycle.

Edited by Loot3d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ya you might have some hidden overhead somewhere I would take out maxmem as Arma won't do above 3gb even with large address allocator. this is mine minus the mods and such seems to work very well

-nologs -world=empty -nosound -exThreads=0 -bandwidthAlg=2 -loadmissiontomemory -noTexHeaders -autoinit -malloc=xtbbmalloc

Edited by 1Man
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only other suggestions if 1Man's startup parameters doesn't help are;

1. Is this a hosted, Virtualised server or Dedicated? If virtualised then maybe the host it's running on is overcontended.

2. What processes on the machine are actually chewing up all that CPU time?  Is it ARMA? Is it SQL? Something else?

3. Last thing to check for is Overheating - if the CPU overheats it'll throttle back to prevent thermal runaway which of course will make the server run like a pig.

Sorry we aren't getting you a quick answer but I hope this troubleshooting is helping.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, 1Man said:

Ya you might have some hidden overhead somewhere I would take out maxmem as Arma won't do above 3gb even with large address allocator. this is mine minus the mods and such seems to work very well

-nologs -world=empty -nosound -exThreads=0 -bandwidthAlg=2 -loadmissiontomemory -noTexHeaders -autoinit -malloc=xtbbmalloc

I'll give this a shot for next restart and edit this and let you know how it goes.

2 hours ago, Riker2335 said:

My only other suggestions if 1Man's startup parameters doesn't help are;

1. Is this a hosted, Virtualised server or Dedicated? If virtualised then maybe the host it's running on is overcontended.

2. What processes on the machine are actually chewing up all that CPU time?  Is it ARMA? Is it SQL? Something else?

3. Last thing to check for is Overheating - if the CPU overheats it'll throttle back to prevent thermal runaway which of course will make the server run like a pig.

Sorry we aren't getting you a quick answer but I hope this troubleshooting is helping.

This is a rented dedicated, I was originally running on a 16 core VPS but I figured a dedicated would yield better performance but it's not at the moment. The only process that's taking up all that CPU is arma, I don't really understand why. And no problem at all about not getting a quick answer, I tried everything I could think of yesterday on several restarts and am just looking for any input and help the community can provide. 


Thanks for the sugestions.

 

Edit: A little update, 36 players on 3 hours into the restart and the server fps is 15 and dropping.

Edited by Loot3d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little bit of an update: So, I've tried the startup params that 1man has posted up there and this has reduced CPU load by 50% but the server FPS seems to be dropping quicker. So, I'm wondering if it's because of the -enableHT, or the -exThreads that increased the load. I'll do some more testing for next restart but I'm on 4 hour restarts so that's slightly delayed for me as I don't want to cause any interruption of play for my users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exthreads only processes data so you want that if you don't it processes graphics and everything else, hyper threading is up to you I have heard good and bad about it so maybe try that one 1st

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, 1Man said:

Exthreads only processes data so you want that if you don't it processes graphics and everything else, hyper threading is up to you I have heard good and bad about it so maybe try that one 1st

So, one thing I don't understand about this is that your -exThreads is set to 0. Doesn't this disable exthreads or am I thinking of this in the wrong way? 

Edit: Yeah, with these settings you put when my servers at 50+ players as it is right now the server fps drops down to less than 5. 

Edited by Loot3d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

How many AI and objects are on the map? Yes it should be 1 no idea how it got changed glad you pointed that out or I would have never noticed

Edited by 1Man
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.