Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
[G-S] Strideynet

Addon vs Script

3 posts in this topic

I am relatively new to Arma 3 development but have a long history of work within the Garry's Mod environment and have seen several things which have puzzled me so far. One of which is this forums differentiation between a script and an addon, yet I can't see any difference between them? Is one the type where it is placed at the root of the Arma3 Server Folder with a @ Folder Name and the other where it is placed inside the Exile Server addon folder? Is there a technical difference?

An addon can contain scripts. However, you can "add" or "alter" more with an addon, for instance. An addon can contain modified files required by the client where as a script might only manipulate the game using existing assets.

A good example, is EXILE it self. Without the @Exile addon, which is inclusive of all its assets. If I were to script this -

[
	"InfoTitleAndText", 
	["Hello!", "This is a custom notifcation created by EXILE!"]
] call ExileClient_gui_toaster_addTemplateToast;

Nothing would happen, the script would be calling on assets that exist within an addon, however if I were to script this -

hint "Hello, this is a standard hint. This exists within ARMA 3 and requires nothing more than the base game";

You can bundle a bunch of scripts and make them an addon, however they are still just scripts. Its just a different method of executing them. For instance

DMS - Is nothing more than a bunch of scripts and functions compiled into a server side addon for ease of install. If you had the know how, the entire system could be scripted in the mission file. It uses no additional assets. 

Hope this helps.

3 people like this

22 hours ago, John said:

An addon can contain scripts. However, you can "add" or "alter" more with an addon, for instance. An addon can contain modified files required by the client where as a script might only manipulate the game using existing assets.

A good example, is EXILE it self. Without the @Exile addon, which is inclusive of all its assets. If I were to script this -

[
	"InfoTitleAndText", 
	["Hello!", "This is a custom notifcation created by EXILE!"]
] call ExileClient_gui_toaster_addTemplateToast;

Nothing would happen, the script would be calling on assets that exist within an addon, however if I were to script this -

hint "Hello, this is a standard hint. This exists within ARMA 3 and requires nothing more than the base game";

You can bundle a bunch of scripts and make them an addon, however they are still just scripts. Its just a different method of executing them. For instance

DMS - Is nothing more than a bunch of scripts and functions compiled into a server side addon for ease of install. If you had the know how, the entire system could be scripted in the mission file. It uses no additional assets. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I thought it was something along those lines.

Advertisement