Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neofit

Construction: Esc = Space ?

Question

Hi,

I went three months back but did not find anything related to this issue.

First I would like to say that I am impressed at how well the whole construction system is working in Exile. I was expecting something unbearably buggy with a poor interface, in which it could take ages to properly align 4 tiles of floor with 7 walls and one door, but in reality it's a snap. And I love that you can move or remove anything whenever you want. If only Bethesda had anything that easy to use.

This said I found a small issue. Small or big depending on the consequences of course. Say you placed some stairs or a safe, then you want to move them. You try something then decide to go back. When you hit Esc, the item doesn't go back to where it was before you started moving it (which is usually implied by 'Cancel'), but where it is when you hit Esc, making it identical to hitting Space to accept the new position.

I noticed it at first by accident. My safe, with lots of guns in it, was the first item I wanted to move for which I changed my mind and tried to cancel the moving process. When you start moving the items, they jump quite far away from you, so in my case it was behind a new wall. I wanted to bring it across the wall into the house but figured I was hitting PgDn instead of End, so it was way below ground. With no visibility on the item I hit Esc to restart from the beginning and poof, no safe anywhere. I thought OK, bug, it disappeared, a rather big loss at the beginning but life goes on. Then I started moving stairs and floors, and noticed that Esc was just dropping the pieces where they were showing at the time, not where they were before the move. So I figured that my safe didn't go poof, but was placed deep underground, which will no doubt puzzle some future archeologists.

I am playing on a server with vanilla Exile 1.0.1 and no mods.

4 answers to this question

Hello,

Yes, the building is 1000 times better than lame Epoch!  No killing yourself here!  ;)

As far as what you mentioned, unless someone knows something that I do not, what happened to you is 'normal'.  It has happened to me a few times to moving stuff.  I never buried a safe though!  ;)

Only thing I can say is be careful when moving pre-placed pieces and if you must 'abort', make sure there are in a spot where you can 'lock on to them' again.

As far as the safe, again, as above, unless someone knows better, the only way I know of to 'bring it to the surface', would be to modify that entry in the DB and change it's coords.

Good luck!

:)

I won't bother the admin with the safe, I'll loot another one hopefully.

But I consider that aborting, or cancelling the move, should bring the item right back to where it was. I don't know if there are technical issues that prevent the code from remembering the initial position of the object, or if there is a bug that makes it apply the change whether Esc or Space was pressed, but I hope it gets fixed sooner than later. All I can say is that I was alone on my territory and nobody else was placing anything at my current object's old position, so nothing was preventing it from going back there.

Also, it would be nice, if at all possible, to make the object "red", i.e. its position invalid, if its top is below ground.

Advertisement

Here is another construction bug.

I had a 45m radius territory. The XM8 doesn't show the max number of objects, I assume it was 90. Server with no mods except Exile 1.0.1.

I wasn't paying attention to the number of objects I had placed. So I am on my second floor balcony and place this new floodlight. Then I figure I need to move the generator that wes next to it. As soon as I click Yes on the "do you want to move this object" popup, I get a message about "too many objects" and the generator disappears. It's not on the balcony, not on the ground floor, inside or outside nor in my inventory, yet I hear it humming around the place it used to be. XM8 shows 89 objects.

I go pick up a new generator and try to place it, "too many objects" again, but this one stays in my inventory. XM8 still shows 89 items. After a restart, still 89 items and I cannot place more items, although the humming of the phantom generator is not heard anymore (but they all turn off on a restart).

So from what I understand, you can place objects until the max is reached, but when it is, if you try to move one, you won't be able to place it back and it will go "poof". It won't totally disappear though, on the one hand XM8 will show the number of visible objects not counting the ones that are lost, but for some other calculations, like the one checking if you can place more, the game will think that you already have the max.

Here is a new construction bug.

arma3_2016_09_16_21_49_13_18.jpg

I stacked 5 crates, the stack in the middle was like the one on the right but with 5 crates. I piled them up by raising them then using physics to drop them on one another. Then I decided to place a newly looted safe in their place. So I emptied them, targeted each and used the "Pack" option. It worked fine on other things like wall panels or other crates at floor level. Then I realized that I couldn't do anything with all of those 4 boxes that were above ground. As crates I could store stuff in them, now that they were packed they were like regular Arma scenery object with no specific option in the action menu, all I'd get when targeting them was "<handgun> in hand". After a server restart they disappeared (thank you BIS, with professionally written code that didn't require constant restarts they'd have stayed forever :) ). I am not sure whether they still count towards my objects limit like the invisible power generator.

Advertisement