MudBone

Best linux option for Arma 3 / Exile Server

17 posts in this topic

What is the best linux version to run Arma 3 and Exile under? Debian 7, Debian 8, Ubuntu Server 14, Ubuntu Server 16? 

Additionally, how much more difficult is it to manage a linux server vs a windows server?

I'm asking because of provider (NFOServers) recently added a $15 per month WIndows Server license fee and we are not allowed to make changes to our server if we wish to remain grandfathered in our current pricing. Funny they claimed the prices would be lower but out 3 month renewal pricing went up $28. Nice.O.o

Choose a modern Linux with long term and you are fine. Linux isn't hard to manage. Not harder than wincrap.

Edited by 0X2AFF

Advertisement
15 minutes ago, 0X2AFF said:

Choose a modern Linux with long term and you are fine. Linux isn't hard to manage. Not harder than wincrap.

crappier performance on Linux though :)

20 hours ago, MudBone said:

What is the best linux version to run Arma 3 and Exile under? Debian 7, Debian 8, Ubuntu Server 14, Ubuntu Server 16? 

Additionally, how much more difficult is it to manage a linux server vs a windows server?

I'm asking because of provider (NFOServers) recently added a $15 per month WIndows Server license fee and we are not allowed to make changes to our server if we wish to remain grandfathered in our current pricing. Funny they claimed the prices would be lower but out 3 month renewal pricing went up $28. Nice.O.o

I'd suggest moving host, if you want performance you need to stick with Windows

40 minutes ago, second_coming said:

I'd suggest moving host, if you want performance you need to stick with Windows

crappier performance on Linux though :)

Can you prove this? I don't think so.

Edited by 0X2AFF

10 minutes ago, 0X2AFF said:

https://dev.arma3.com/ports

8tkerCK.png

now this is for client but I have read multiple reports from armadevs in the past saying the same thing about the server.

I've also heard from other server owners that they have had strange server behaviour running Linux which doesn't happen on Windows. Ultimately what it comes do to is that Arma server is primarily developed to run on Windows and that is what Bohemia focus on when releasing updates.

Edited by second_coming

18 minutes ago, 0X2AFF said:

There's nothing to prove really. It's pure simple logic. Bohemia has spent a lot less time developing the Linux branch, and there are several issues with it. For example, the binary is worse than Windows at using multi-threading, and this is in spite of workarounds in the kernel and using appropriate programs to, as I used to do when I ran headless clients alongside the main server, dedicate certain cores to certain processes. It works, but then the next issue is that the Linux -client option for the server binary has its own set of issues, such as signature verification not working. 

Furthermore there are issues with pathnames, the case-sensitivity in Linux makes for some headaches when the game works out paths inside the PBO's. Under some circumstances the relative pathnames don't work. 

Now, 1.64 fixes the issue with the HC and supposedly also the pathnames (judging by the fixlogs). But just so you know, many people (including myself and Torndeco) have done it, compared performance and realized that the performance is slightly worse, and there are slightly more issues. Not because "Linux is worse", but because the Linux support by Bohemia is worse.

2 people like this

Did you use the performance branch/binary?

With a little work i never experienced significant problems with ARMA 3 dedicated servers on a linux system. Thats the reason i am so curious about "these problems".

Edited by 0X2AFF

1 hour ago, 0X2AFF said:

Did you use the performance branch/binary?

With a little work i never experienced significant problems with ARMA 3 dedicated servers on a linux system. Thats the reason i am so curious about "these problems".

Oh, most definitely. Perf branch already have the HC changes, and I think v19 fixed the path issue.

The issue is with how Bohemia treats the Linux branch compared to the Windows branch in terms of optimization. But then again Bohemia and optimization only goes in the same sentence if the word "no" or "none" is included.

Advertisement