Paul

Owning a Server and wanting to pay someone else to configure it....

18 posts in this topic

Hey All

This baffles me! Why do people buy a gaming server from a host, but want to pay someone else to configure it and get it running for them? To me, it seems pointless to buy a server and not know how to configure it and make amendments for yourself.

Arma 3 was the first game that I managed a server for. It's pretty easy. A lot easier and tidier than the ones of ours which I saw which are on Arma 2! It's good to learn how the code works. You don't really have to do much coding yourself, just implement other people's scripts and add-ons if you want, which are normally supplier with instructions anyway.

So, the question is why do it? Why not just play on one of the other 2000 servers out there?

Paul

1 person likes this

They like admin tools.

1 person likes this

Advertisement
2 minutes ago, Mezo said:

They like admin tools.

See, I can understand this a little. I like having infiSTAR powers on our servers, but it takes the fun out of the game IMO. You get use to running into a mission with god mode on, or having unlimited ammo/fast fire/no recoil on and slaughter all of the AI in 30 seconds (we run PVE servers). BUT, it takes the fun out of the game. On our new server (Exile Reborn), we've been playing without any admin power help, and it's so much more fun. You are worried more, and you have to be a lot more careful of the AI when going into missions.

3 people like this

I put it down to younger players wanting some power to exert over other players, they don't seem to grasp that actually being an admin on a popular server means you don't get to play.

5 people like this

I've asked the same question many times.  I think theirs a difference between needing some help vs wanting someone to run it.  Another thing I don't understand is who's paying for all those server that set empty?  lol

18 minutes ago, second_coming said:

I put it down to younger players wanting some power to exert over other players, they don't seem to grasp that actually being an admin on a popular server means you don't get to play.

Amen to that. Admin fatigue has all but killed my love for the game. I never play on my own server anymore.

2 people like this

I just tend to remove people's access to certain functions if they're being abused. Soon stops them!

1 hour ago, second_coming said:

play....what's that!?

2 people like this

People also like to police there own server after playing on 100's of servers with either bad admins or server that dont have active admins on it, plus people have different tastes and find it hard to find a server configed to how they like it as 99% of the servers are the same. took me over 100's servers to find one i liked only to find out the admins and owner is never online and they dont have a website, so we made are own

Edited by Sgt Smash

That's fine, but did you pay someone else to configure yours for you?

The one posted today wanted: Tanoa, HeliCrash missions and 2 instadocs on Bambis
So nothing really different from hundreds out there already.

I can understand if you want to use it to build your knowledge on how to script etc and do something different, but buying a service, then offering to pay someone else to configure it for you is stupid. What are they going to do when an update comes along? Pay someone else to do it all over again for them? What if they find that a price is wrong? The list is endless.

I actually manage 2 or 3 servers (depending on what we have on and what we want to try at the time), and I really enjoy it. It was hard work at first, and I started on Epoch, but learning how to do it is half the fun. Figuring out why it's broken and learning from it, is fun. Paying someone else to do all the fun stuff for you is boring.

Advertisement