ImThatGuyM8

Question: Do you want it easy, or do you want the grind?

14 posts in this topic

When you play on a server, do you like to have it easy or do you like the grind?  Or something in between?  The reason im asking this is because i am in the progress of making a server with a heavy emphasis on survival, but i kept thinking for myself, "will people actually do this or am i just wasting my time?" And now, almost done, i keep thinking that.  

 

i know what i like, i know what my friends like, but, that could just be a fraction of the total and thus im creating something for a very small market. So, am i barking up the wrong tree here or what? xD 

What would your "perfect" server be like, what would make you go "dayum"? 

Edited by ImThatGuyM8
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, you're wasting your time. There are players who want the grind and the survival aspect, but the majority of the busy servers are all about re-gearing as fast as possible and back into the PVP. In my opinion and experience.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Yeah thats what im thinking, but finding that balance between effort and awarding is tough, at least from my perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say set your server up the way that you and your friends would like and if other players join it and stay, then you are doing something a little bit right anyway. 

I have seen a few other posts created by you (in particular your thread shown below)

 and I get the impression that you are obsessing about making a server that will become extremely popular and always full with players. Possibly so you could make some money on the side from player donations? Not sure, just saying this is an impression I'm getting and I might be misreading your intentions here. But the one thing to keep in mind is that 95% of servers are low pop or empty most of the time and the other 5% are full with PvPers who are following popular YouTubers and wanting to play on the servers they use. For ex. FrankieOnPCin1080p who always plays on CCG servers. 

The one thing to focus on IMHO is that owning a server is something that can feel rewarding when you learn how to set it up and get it running with additional scripts and addons and you figured out how to tackle some odd troubleshooting issue on your own. It also doesn't hurt that owning your own server allows you to configure it to match your own particular play style / desires when other servers just don't match your expectations. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2016 at 5:52 AM, ImThatGuyM8 said:

When you play on a server, do you like to have it easy or do you like the grind?  Or something in between?  The reason im asking this is because i am in the progress of making a server with a heavy emphasis on survival, but i kept thinking for myself, "will people actually do this or am i just wasting my time?" And now, almost done, i keep thinking that.  

 

i know what i like, i know what my friends like, but, that could just be a fraction of the total and thus im creating something for a very small market. So, am i barking up the wrong tree here or what? xD 

What would your "perfect" server be like, what would make you go "dayum"? 

Good question. Thanks for asking!

I personally like simple servers. Not to many mods and not too much NERFing. I love to grind and build and fight when I have to fight.

I too design servers for myself and other people. Mostly clan members. The old A2 Epoch server is still chock a block full on weekends and has steady players all week long. And it is pretty hardcore.

Most of our players don't mind roaming Ai but hate random AI that spawn near you to keep you moving. They love missions. The more variety the better. But I don't personally like to make missions all hardcore. I like to put a good mix of easy through insane missions to keep as many player types engaged as I can.

I focus a lot of my scripting time trying to come up with new mission ideas and map content. I try my damnedest to put new stuff on the map so folks who have played a long time go wow, that's new. And new players go to other servers and wonder why they don't have it on the map.

An active Admin crew is a 100% must for success. I personally like to get in server with my players and interact. Which is why I have Zeus installed. So if I get a wild hair, I can just make up a mission on the fly or jump in as an Ai and play along.

I'm not sure how I feel about towing, spawnable bikes and stuff like that. We have it on A2 Epoch. But not so far on the Exile server. But since it is a feature that players tend to look for and ask about, I will most likely add it. Gotta make a few reasonable concessions if you want to attract enough players to make it work well.

I guess that is my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally i like it when gearing up is quick and pretty easy since i play this game mostly for the PvP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, souredsoup said:

I say set your server up the way that you and your friends would like and if other players join it and stay, then you are doing something a little bit right anyway. 

I have seen a few other posts created by you (in particular your thread shown below)

 and I get the impression that you are obsessing about making a server that will become extremely popular and always full with players. Possibly so you could make some money on the side from player donations? Not sure, just saying this is an impression I'm getting and I might be misreading your intentions here. But the one thing to keep in mind is that 95% of servers are low pop or empty most of the time and the other 5% are full with PvPers who are following popular YouTubers and wanting to play on the servers they use. For ex. FrankieOnPCin1080p who always plays on CCG servers. 

The one thing to focus on IMHO is that owning a server is something that can feel rewarding when you learn how to set it up and get it running with additional scripts and addons and you figured out how to tackle some odd troubleshooting issue on your own. It also doesn't hurt that owning your own server allows you to configure it to match your own particular play style / desires when other servers just don't match your expectations. 

 

If i come across like that, my bad. What i do obsess over are errors i cant figure out, if i can't fix it it feels redundant to operate a server. This to me is a hobby, i have a full time job on top of this, i do feel rewarded when i get things to work and for me that is enough. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grind....hard...those are words that you can stretch pretty much. I had an admin who though hardcore was either finding a full set of gear and weapons every other house or absolutely nothing, set up ai that hunt you down in helos, with armed vehicles and on foot en masse.  Yes that was an exile server. For me the concept of hard is actually having to MOVE around the map to find what you need. Most players just stick to their turf and don't go further because the admin set lot too easy most of the time. Actually having to move to the next town 5km away to the next industrial to look for baseparts is a hastle ...they want 5 min spawn intervals. I mean why are players asking for a hard mode and bigger island when all they do is sit near their base and do nothing? I see so many players asking for 1st person only servers but when you have a couple around they are either empty or they gather on the server that gives them an easy time...just with 1st person. Others want hard to find loot and "low tech" armament and hard to find special stuff. No matter what you do you can only appeal to a small amount of players. You set the server as you like it, if the players like it they play. They might even ask you to do this and that and you could do that if it's reasonable and fits your concept. It's a compromise after all but don't bend over to players threatening to leave if you don't do x or y. Never. You don't need their type. 

Edited by Enforcer1975
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem @ImThatGuyM8. Like I said it was just a feeling / impression I was getting. Good to hear that wasn't your actual desire when it comes to creating a server.

And @Redbeard_Actual, well said. So well said I can't believe it! I may just have to look up your Arma3 Exile server and pop on for a bit of a play. If for nothing else but to see what you might do sometime with Zues. One of the things that gets to me after playing on a server for a while is if the server missions start to get stale and easily predictable. Then there isn't any real threat if you know exactly how to tackle them every time because nothing changes about them. Zues in Exile sounds like if would be an awesome thing to experience.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@souredsoup If it was easy and fast, everyone could and probably would do it. It takes time, more time, even some more time and a lot of effort.  I like my job, i'll stick to that and earn another buck for more pc parts xD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.