GolovaRaoul

Custom Memory Allocator for Exile?

18 posts in this topic

Yo all,

So I'm trying to improve my server FPS, and I'm seeing some stuff around about a custom memory allocator.
So my question is, does this really help improve server FPS? Like my CPU on the server is always like 80-90 procent used, could a custom allocator help get arma3server to use 100procent of the CPU?

I'm really not sure how it works. How would this help in server performance exactly? And which one would be 'good' for Exile? Like I looked a bit around on armaholic, and I found like 4 memory allocators. Which one should I test? My CPU is: Intel Xeon E3 1245v2, with 32GB DDR3 RAM.

Thanks for responding :)
GolovaRaoul

Just out of curiosity, what FPS are you getting on the server? Are you seeing large dips in the FPS at certain times? Does the server sit at 80-90% load at all times or just when fully loaded with missions spawning in?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand why you'd want the server to be running at 100% all the time.... server responsiveness & therefore player experience would surely suffer when the server has no spare cycles to respond to player requests.

Advertisement

Posted (edited)

It sits on 80-90% load almost anytime. My FPS is at server start +-10 with most clients connected (+-50/60) and sinks to 5 at restart.

No worries about your question, appreciate that someone's trying to help me ;)

Edited by GolovaRaoul

Posted (edited)

Hmmm.... I'm not experienced with a large player base server I'm afraid but that seems pretty damn poor to me. Given your issue seems to be CPU based, I'm not focusing on the memory allocator at this stage but if anyone has experience with memory allocator changes helping CPU contention issues please jump in.

Few more questions I'm afraid;

• Can you tell us your server specs?  (CPU, RAM, dedicated/shared?)  
  • Is it a rented server or your own?
  • Does it have the SQL server running locally or on another server?
  • What mods are you running (if any) on top of Exile?

More than happy to help mate, I'm just going to be asking basic questions for the moment to try and understand the situation a bit better.

Edit; I actually just saw your old post from July, is that the server this is running on?  Are you now hosting multiple ARMA server from the one Dedi?

Edited by Riker2335

2 minutes ago, Riker2335 said:

Hmmm.... I'm not experienced with a large player base server I'm afraid but that seems pretty damn poor to me. Given your issue seems to be CPU based, I'm not focusing on the memory allocator at this stage but if anyone has experience with memory allocator changes helping CPU contention issues please jump in.

Few more questions I'm afraid;

• Can you tell us your server specs?  (CPU, RAM, dedicated/shared?)  
  • Is it a rented server or your own?
  • Does it have the SQL server running locally or on another server?
  • What mods are you running (if any) on top of Exile?

More than happy to help mate, I'm just going to be asking basic questions for the moment to try and understand the situation a bit better.

• E3 1245 v2 (up to 3.8GHz), 32GB DDR3, SSD, Dedi
  • Rented Server
  • Local SQL server
  • Exile, CUP, CBA, CUP UNITS+WEAPONS+VEHICLES+CORE+MAPS

^^

Ah, so it is the same server :)

Well, performance wise it's the same as my own Dedi but mine is the i7 version from the same era. RAM and SSD are obviously just fine but that CPU is what seems to be giving you grief. That mod set is identical to my own, are you running any AI stuff like Occupation? ZCP? etc? Do you run Zombies by any chance?

Sorry for the continued questions, just trying to understand where the excessive load is as I'm not seeing where it would be so far as a basic PvP Exile box shouldn't be too heavy but my experience so far is that once you start loading the place up with AI or Zombies, server performance can go out the window if you aren't careful.

Just as an example, my own server with essentially the same CPU runs 25% load with no players online just to run the Occupation system and core ARMA environment and my occupation config is pretty lean with just a half dozen roaming vehicles.

1 minute ago, Riker2335 said:

Ah, so it is the same server :)

Well, performance wise it's the same as my own Dedi but mine is the i7 version from the same era. RAM and SSD are obviously just fine but that CPU is what seems to be giving you grief. That mod set is identical to my own, are you running any AI stuff like Occupation? ZCP? etc? Do you run Zombies by any chance?

Sorry for the continued questions, just trying to understand where the excessive load is as I'm not seeing where it would be so far as a basic PvP Exile box shouldn't be too heavy but my experience so far is that once you start loading the place up with AI or Zombies, server performance can go out the window if you aren't careful.

Just as an example, my own server with essentially the same CPU runs 25% load with no players online just to run the Occupation system and core ARMA environment and my occupation config is pretty lean with just a half dozen roaming vehicles.

Yeah ofc, with 0 players on my CPU is also not maxed. But it's never quite nowadays, 10 people is during the 'night hours'. You know, when you create a server, it will always run very smooth with low player amount, even if some errors are just spamming over and over again in your server. In my opinion, the real challenge comes when you're server gets really populated. 

I'm running 2 DMS missions, 1 ZCP and Occupation for Gear Crates on server start. But they get erased pretty quickly :P

Someone just told me that for a 65 slot server a server FPS of 10-5 is pretty normal btw. My intention was to get it above 10, with as ultimate goal 15 :P

And about that CPU, yeah I think it would be better if we could trade in that SSD for an i7 :P SSD is really only handy at server restarts, when the server is booted there's barely HDD activity

Well, I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary so it sounds to me like it's just an overloaded CPU. The Xeon should be performing pretty well given it's a 3.8Ghz turbo but it's possible that the ARMA Dedi Server applicaiton is tuned for consumer CPU's like the i7 and if that's the case, there's not much you can do about that.

If you can get a server with a CPU that is at least 4 core and over 4Ghz and preferably an i7 that would be your best bet IMHO but I'm not an expert on ARMA, my expertise is managing servers for corporate environments for a living.

That CPU upgrade might be an expensive proposition though......

IDK about a custom memory allocator. But you can add something like this to your commandline

-maxMem=2047
-cpuCount=4

For best FPS i find you really need to balance zeds and/or ai with amount of players dynamic ai are best to use imo as they despawn when no player is near so free up resources over ai that run 24/7 on the server not despawning uses more resources to keep track of all ai on map so if you have 5 ai spawn around 1 player in 1 city plus if you run zeds and 20 zeds spawn that shit adds up when you have 50 players connect therefore balance is best you dont want roaming ai on the map 24/7 plus your ai at the missions depending on how many missions you have running also depends on how many extra ai are on the map like 4 missions will use more resources than a server running 2 missions at a time at the same time you want to build a server that is piss weak but also not to op balance is the key dont fill your server with shit and say why are my frames shit when you have 100 zeds and 60 ai at missions with 100 roaming ai on the map flying, driving or running whatever. Also cleaning up the server every few hrs helps free up resources clean up old vehicles, wreaks or whatever is taking up resources dead ai.     

Advertisement