speedweasel

AI Players

4 posts in this topic

Has anyone thought of making an AI mod for Exile that mimics players.  Instead of dumping fully kitted AI enemies into the server at startup, what about introducing 'bot players' that parachute in, scavenge for gear, collect cash, etc... the same way players do?

There are so many mostly empty Exile servers.  Seems like this would be useful...

4 hours ago, speedweasel said:

Has anyone thought of making an AI mod for Exile that mimics players.  Instead of dumping fully kitted AI enemies into the server at startup, what about introducing 'bot players' that parachute in, scavenge for gear, collect cash, etc... the same way players do?

There are so many mostly empty Exile servers.  Seems like this would be useful...

Occupation has something similar.

And I believe Sarge did something like that too?

Advertisement

Occupation will drop in bandits and survivors into towns and they wander around a bit looking for other players but I'm not sure if they "loot" the area as there will be no loot until the players get close. I've had the AI turned on before on my server but as they are indiscriminate as to whom they attack and relentless once they lock onto you, it can be quite intimidating when meandering around.

Sarge's AI did put AI 'players' out there and they would actually loot when they got near you and loot started spawning from what I understand (loot would still only spawn when near real players). To the best of my understanding though, Sarge pulled his AI from the forums - certainly I can no longer find it anyway. Not sure if it was an incompatibility reason or a "pissed at the community" issue.

The problem I always had with AI "Players" in Exile is how the AI determine whether or not to engage - in A3, they look at your armour rating and that's about it. If they can do damage, they'll open fire. A human player weighs up whether to attack based upon chance to lose what they have on them, their loadout level, whether they have to go to school/work/uni shortly etc. A number of my players asked me to limit the roaming AI to vehicles as you then at least had an audible warning that there was something coming and you could decide whether to hide or engage. Lastly, returning to your body on a PvP server is an option due to the bambi state thing - AI disregard Bambi state and will shoot you while you are falling from the sky.

Regardless, to answer the OP directly - the server CPU load to achieve this would likely be quite high as they have to scavenge like a normal player and as ARMA 3 doesn't have a looting system built in, there's likely no optimised AI construct to do it. So, I guess what you're asking for is a far more advanced version of what Second Coming has in his Occupation addon where independent units are on a "seek and destroy" mission in an area with the ability to determine what loot is good and the likes as well as have some sort of randomisation as to whether they'll engage enemies or run away...... Well, if someone out there is good with both A3 scripting and AI design I'd happily give it a crack on my own server.

Exile Reborn has Ai survivors. They don't drop into the world, but are spawned in proximity to other players. They do loot, but don't remove the loot from the world. They spawn in with exile overalls and are friendly to players unless shot, or you can try to ask them to accompany you and if successful they will follow you around engaging AI and zombies. If not, they become hostile. You can even bribe them to come with you.

http://forums.killinzedz.net/index.php?/forums/topic/6850-new-survivor-ai/

Advertisement