CSwords

Disable verifySignatures, what's the worst that can happen..

15 posts in this topic

I think the title says it all but I'll elaborate...

I have a player who is able to play the game for sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 30 and sometimes 30 seconds. He is getting kicked due to signature time outs.

Now. If I disable verifySignatures (set it to 0), he can play with absolutely no issue whatsoever. Right, back to the title. If I disable this, what is the worst that can happen, and should I worry.

My server only has the one mod (other than Exile of course), Extended Bases. It is protected with infiSTAR and I have Battleye enabled. 

Or... Am I totally looking at this the wrong way, and should I have this player check his game for errors his end???

I really am conflicted with this, and any help is welcome.

The worst that can happen is they can just go and run a modified Exile mod that lets them do whatever the hell they want for the most part.

Advertisement
3 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

The worst that can happen is they can just go and run a modified Exile mod that lets them do whatever the hell they want for the most part.

I was thinking that would have been the case >.<

Any advice on what is leading to him getting kicked for this though? Any idea on where to look to see if I can get this resolved without turning off this security feature?

Basically if he has a potato of a computer or crappy internet that's going to happen. Also, look at your server fps and see if it's under a heavy load when it happens.

2 hours ago, CSwords said:

verifySignatures (set it to 0)

It means anyone can join with any client mod they like, for example, I could make a hack menu mod, load it on myself, load into your server and do all sorts of damage. I wouldn't, but with signature verification off, others could and will.

2 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

Basically if he has a potato of a computer or crappy internet that's going to happen. Also, look at your server fps and see if it's under a heavy load when it happens.

This is a very strong possibility. With regards to the server though, it's smoother than this cappuccino I'm drinking. 

2 hours ago, MGTDB said:

It means anyone can join with any client mod they like, for example, I could make a hack menu mod, load it on myself, load into your server and do all sorts of damage. I wouldn't, but with signature verification off, others could and will.

Bah, that was my fear. I've left it set to 2 and advised this player to double check and verify he has the most recent (same) version of the mod that the server is running.

Thanks for your 2 cents though guys.

1 person likes this

Hello CSWords,

Here is the 'skinny' on your questions:

Turning it off:

This welcomes and permits anyone to cheat/hack and you would not know about it.  It also would allow someone to use a mod that is outdated.  DO NOT DO THIS EVER!!!  If your server is only for you and your friends, and is password protected, then you could turn it off.  For public use, NEVER TURN IT OFF!

Why it happens:

It happens due to the crappy programming of ARMA.  It 'appears' they have hard coded a set time to verify files in use.  Miss that time, and a generic (again, lazy) error message comes up for the player 'Signature Check Failed'.  It also appears that if you have >8gb of RAM, the files are cached in RAM and verified from there.  If <=4gb of RAM, the files are left on the HDD till needed and are verified from the HDD and not RAM as they have not been cached.  The 4gb/8gb is my opinion and is based on real life situations and observances done by me.

Things that can cause it:

Poor/problems with internet connection

Highly fragmented HDD

Slow CPU

Tons of background processes running

Virus/Malware

<= 4gb Of RAM

Defective hardware

Possible Solutions:

If they have a traditional HDD, defrag their ARMA AND their mods folder(s).  If they have a SSD, DO NOT DEFRAG!

Run some program like Razer Cortex to whack the background processes

Put in more RAM.  With 8gb, I do not have this issue, 2gb went bad, dropped by to 4gb and *POOF*, the error for me!

Ensure their network protocols are not corrupted/hosed.

Scan for any virus/malware

Have them join SEVERAL OTHER SERVERS running the EXACT SAME MODS - more mods is ok, but NOT LESS THAN WHAT YOU USE!  If all/most fail, then problem is listed, however, if he can join all the other servers, then the problem most likely lies on YOUR server.  Try at least 3-5 different servers.

Most likely the issue is:  background processes and/or fragmented files

Do note, it is possible the network settings on your server are 'bad'.  They also can cause this error as well too.  Inspect/verify you 'basic.cfg' for any improper and/or 'funky' settings.

Once all of this is done and the issue is still happening, do this:

Once the player is 'boots are on the ground', open your map right away and zoom in as close as you can.  Do NOT move or do anything for at least 5 minutes.  If you have a HDD light, you will see it doing its thing and when it is done, the HDD light will almost stop 'flickering'.  Then you can play as normal.

By zooming in, this devotes the full speed of the computer to verify files instead of drawing grass and trees while the wind blows them around as well as other stuff ARMA is loading in due to you 'looking around'.

I myself have suffered from this off and on for a good while and the above, for me and others, has always worked 100% of the time.  If it does not for your friend, then you're on your own!  ;)

Once I dropped in 8gb, I had to do nothing and the problem completely disappeared...till one 2 gb memory stick went bad and I was back on 4gb, the problem came right back...till I did the above!  Fixed!  :)

Good luck to yall!

:)

6 people like this

I try to 'space it out' to group items/thoughts together to make it a tad easier.  Sadly, the editor on the web site makes it appear it I hit ENTER twice, when I really did it once...oh well...

Hope those 2 things I suggested for you worked for ya Zed!  The 'square' issue!

:)

1 person likes this

Advertisement