GolovaRaoul

Headless Client for DMS & ZCP

13 posts in this topic

Yo all,

So I'm running DMS and ZCP as mission systems (no occupation or A3XAI). I want these to run on a headless client to gain performance.
So, I'm aware that you need to make changes in your mission.sqm and config.cfg in order to make the headless client work. But my question is, do you need to 'assign' units to the headless client? Or does this happen automatically? How do you make the headless client work with DMS and ZCP? Can someone point me in the right direction? 

Thanks for responding ^^
GolovaRaoul

You don't need to use a headless client with DMS as it has its own form of offloading AI.

Advertisement
On 11/6/2016 at 4:45 PM, kuplion said:

You don't need to use a headless client with DMS as it has its own form of offloading AI.

offloading AI to a HC is always more efficient. So basically DMS has no HC support is what is being stated here?

DMS already offloads AI to clients so it has no need for a dedicated headless client.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Gattaca said:

offloading AI to a HC is always more efficient. So basically DMS has no HC support is what is being stated here?

Headless clients have their place. True. 

However, having a second instance running on the same (or even a different) server is a worse way of dealing with DMS (or ZCP). Because both DMS and ZCP offloads to the actual, playing clients. Which means that the server doesn't need to handle most of the calculations... at all. 

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Tobias Solem said:

Headless clients have their place. True. 

However, having a second instance running on the same (or even a different) server is a worse way of dealing with DMS (or ZCP). Because both DMS and ZCP offloads to the actual, playing clients. Which means that the server doesn't need to handle most of the calculations... at all. 

I've been on servers that had high-end boxes with 50 people online when a DMS mission or ZCP / CP spawned everyone experienced a 1-3 second pause.  Pause length depended on the size of the AI allocated to the mission, this is with a lot of ram allocated towards their server.  

1 hour ago, Gattaca said:

I've been on servers that had high-end boxes with 50 people online when a DMS mission or ZCP / CP spawned everyone experienced a 1-3 second pause.  Pause length depended on the size of the AI allocated to the mission, this is with a lot of ram allocated towards their server.  

High end boxes tell me nothing. 

How were they set up? What titles did they use (some of the DMS-messages lag clients when syncronizing)? Did those servers run two instances on the same box? What other scripts were running? What custom made stuff (with while-loops and waitUntils) had been added? How many simultaneous threads were running?

Listen, I see where you're coming from. And in all fairness, I haven't done any absolute clinical tests. I used to be a huge HC-proponent (and to an extent still am) but I've done HC on my Epoch Servers for missions and roaming AI. And my experience is that one computer (the server) handling stuff, offloading stuff to different CPU-cores is better if you do not have other client-offloading. 

BUT, once mission systems started offloading to the actual client-clients (ie. players) that offloaded the CPU (and thus the server) more. But hey, I'm open to possibly being wrong. But I don't see logically how one machine would handle things better than, say for example 50 different machines.

Question, besides the offload to client option on DMS, how do I make sure that both ZCP and DMS are actually offloading to the server?

I have worked a bit before with large constant static missions using DMS. I actually placed one of my HC's right on it just to test it.. With varied results though.

It still offloads AI to the headless client just as it will trigger zombies and whatnot, not sure the "win" in performance was worth it since that particular HC also handled A3XAI.
And since you can just "freeze" DMS units while people are too far away it really is no big issue..

1 person likes this

Still, if you dont have any issues with server performance and you have AI spawns triggered by HC presence..

It's a pretty cool way to have a constant battle for a city using two different AI mods.
For example i think it's pretty neat to walk into a village or city on Altis where a3xai AI are fighting zombies or whatnot, kind of brings a little excitement and ambience to servers such as mine that are low pop.

Advertisement