SneakyDuServer

How do you keep it all together?

9 posts in this topic

All i seem to see is so many outdated scripts in Exile forums, or error stuff that cause more issues then it is worth.

Do you all just seem to code, repair your own servers? It reminds me of the epoch days just so messy at times.

Like i am trying to understand how you keep it all together without decent restart, bec etc mods or scripts, Lack of information these days :(

I seem to spend weeks at it, to make it perfect again without errors, or massive logs.

Not counting the scripts incomplete and broken...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see something I like, I test to see if it works as is on a test server, if it does not work I look into the rpt which usually contains what is wrong, I attempt to correct the problem with my limited knowledge, If I succeed I am happy, if i fail I am not happy, I may ask for help from friends or I'll drop it and move on.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Same as Crazy mike here, if I fix a script in some way on my test environment I'll post the updated code on the forums unless someone beats me to it. If I see a script that has constant problems being reported and isn't being actively developed/managed I'll usually leave it well alone unless I feel like a challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SneakyDuServer said:

All i seem to see is so many outdated scripts in Exile forums, or error stuff that cause more issues then it is worth.

 

So what?

Actually, what is your problem or point of statement? Do you want all the  "outdated/obsolete" addons removed from the forum, so you don't run in errors? -_-

I'm pleased we got codes, codesnippeets - even if they'r outdated, we still can modify them. And as stated above, some ppl might grab the code, modify them and get something new/workin stuff for the community - win win?

If the "outdated" addons not workin on your end, ask in forums or do it yourself.

3 hours ago, SneakyDuServer said:

Like i am trying to understand how you keep it all together without decent restart

Get a testbox or at least do it local.

Edited by WURSTKETTE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WURSTKETTE said:

 

So what?

Actually, what is your problem or point of statement? Do you want all the  "outdated/obsolete" addons removed from the forum, so you don't run in errors? -_-

I'm pleased we got codes, codesnippeets - even if they'r outdated, we still can modify them. And as stated above, some ppl might grab the code, modify them and get something new/workin stuff for the community - win win?

If the "outdated" addons not workin on your end, ask in forums or do it yourself.

Get a testbox or at least do it local.

Upset much?

I think you took everything i said in a bad way. Not everyone is negative, here.

If your going to ask, then i might suggest what you suggested, taking the older code and moving it to older archived snippets. Is a great suggestion you gave us.

Meaning it is released but outdated, and the majority of the code may not work with the new updates.

My post was more on the "How do you keep it all together, back and forth" keeping it all together in your head.

ON that point where you suggested it, it would be awesome to take like DMS (Not picking on you guys) but subcategories of DMS. I know this is impossible because it is not a "language" but it works rather nice, and maybe should. have its own forum, with posts below it.

So remember, my post is how do you keep it all together in your head, throwing papers around the desk :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would echo what others have said, I try to keep things streamlined, don't get too inventive but also be different enough that it makes a difference.  Try to add scripts that will give you the least headaches down the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason scripts/mods are outdated is because the small group of people making the addons you all use on your servers got bored of spending their free time coding only to be bitched at or demanded to do things by entitled server owners :D

But yeah... like the others said, find the errors, attempt to fix them. If that fails... ask around...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in m honest opinion exile is the best updated mod in terms of the mod itself and the addons people made for it anyways...

thats for the main stuff like ai missions though.

for special stuff you will always have to dive into it because your server is not my server ans stuff

and because arma ;)

Edited by B.A.D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mezo said:

The reason scripts/mods are outdated is because the small group of people making the addons you all use on your servers got bored of spending their free time coding only to be bitched at or demanded to do things by entitled server owners :D

But yeah... like the others said, find the errors, attempt to fix them. If that fails... ask around...

I remember that too well, especially with A3x AI :( awesome scripts even with epoch. I felt so bad for him, but i didnt know the whole story on his side either. Leaving like that with a cool script was difficult on the AI scripting community. However DMS has made huge improvements to Exile. I just would love to have the A3AI editor once again but for DMS. I hear you very well Mezo

4 hours ago, B.A.D. said:

in m honest opinion exile is the best updated mod in terms of the mod itself and the addons people made for it anyways...

thats for the main stuff like ai missions though.

for special stuff you will always have to dive into it because your server is not my server ans stuff

and because arma ;)

Exile is the best mod, the team deserves a huge award by the Arma BI team for its efforts to improve Arma.

I like exile for making it very easy to modify to suit each persons needs.

 

I just for the love of God, have a difficult time, keeping it all together in my head. What to fix and what not to fix.

So i made a steam group within my clans group to make dev logs, bugs, and scripts, mods we want to add forums.

That was the best way for me to keep it all together.

I wonder what others do for dev management? Of their own servers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.