DavieReid88

Server From Home

12 posts in this topic

I know this question has been asked over and over with mixed answers but i thought id list my PC and hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge about home server hosting could help me make my decision, I run my servers from a provider, not going to name the provider but it uses TC Admin. Now im not to sure if its just this provider thats having the problem with TC Admin its running SLOW is hell! and its been like this for a while now, Also when stopping the server to modify anything sometimes it doesnt fully stop and i have to email the provider for them to stop it fully so i could delete a file which could take a while for a responce.. anyways its starting to get right on my nerves. At the moment i have only the one PC which i play other games on such as Dayz so obviously if im running my servers from this pc would it be a problem or not? My pc spec is :

Intel Core i7-6700K  @ 4.00GHz

32GB Ram, thinking of upgrading to 64 eventually if this will help

Samsung SSD

Have a fast internet aswell 200mb Virgin (UK)

What do you guys think?? 

Edited by DavieReid88

Spec wise, thats fine.

ARMA won't use more then 3GB of RAM, and assuming you don't run much in the background that processor is one of the best for just one server. (Desktop processors always trump server processors, however not practical in large scale hosting)

Can you run a speedtest for me? To see the true speeds you actually get.

Otherwise, feel free to check us out, our TCAdmin isn't slow (Used to be, until i gave it a kick up the arse :)

2 people like this

Advertisement

I run a server at home on a spare machine I have that has similar specs to yours except it has 16GB RAM rather than 32. I did also run the server on a virtual machine on my gaming rig at one point too and although the performance is better on the dedicated box, there wasn't a huge difference with only a small player base.

Depending on the mods, number of players, number of objects and the map in use you should be okay but you may find slowdowns when run on your gaming rig. I know I saw them from time to time, particularly at mission spawn in or when a player is connecting.

My biggest issue for the players has been my dynamic IP which is common for ISP's in Australia, I can't comment on your location. Players add the server to favourites in the A3Launcher and then my IP changes a few days later for some reason and they have to re-favourite it. Other than that, I've got a much slower connection than you and have no issues with a small player base on it. I'm pretty sure with a connection that fast that you'll have no problem regardless of the number of players.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Riker2335 said:

I run a server at home on a spare machine I have that has similar specs to yours except it has 16GB RAM rather than 32. I did also run the server on a virtual machine on my gaming rig at one point too and although the performance is better on the dedicated box, there wasn't a huge difference with only a small player base.

Depending on the mods, number of players, number of objects and the map in use you should be okay but you may find slowdowns when run on your gaming rig. I know I saw them from time to time, particularly at mission spawn in or when a player is connecting.

My biggest issue for the players has been my dynamic IP which is common for ISP's in Australia, I can't comment on your location. Players add the server to favourites in the A3Launcher and then my IP changes a few days later for some reason and they have to re-favourite it. Other than that, I've got a much slower connection than you and have no issues with a small player base on it. I'm pretty sure with a connection that fast that you'll have no problem regardless of the number of players.

A solution to the dynamic IP would be to use a dynamic dns service and point it at your server IP/Port.

1 person likes this

Thanks for your response, Last night the control panel was not working at all, I couldn't even stop the server, Hoped it would be working by today now that im home from work but its still not working. >:(>:(>:(>:( Think its time to change provider or build a PC just for server hosting.

Hi Davie,

Can you open a ticket with us please? Control panel is working fine my end, we did have a outtage last night however it was quickly resolved. 

@QGS I dont use you guys for my servers, Its another provider i use, I was saying earlier in the post I have took out a free trial with your company to see if its any better, and it is, control panel is ALOT faster. I will switch everything over in the next few days.

Edited by DavieReid88

26 minutes ago, DavieReid88 said:

@QGS I dont use you guys for my servers, Its another provider i use, I was saying earlier in the post I have took out a free trial with your company to see if its any better, and it is, control panel is ALOT faster. I will switch everything over in the next few days.

Ah, thought you meant ours was down :)

We can help you switch mate, just shoot us a ticket. 

1 person likes this

On 07/02/2017 at 4:10 PM, kuplion said:

A solution to the dynamic IP would be to use a dynamic dns service and point it at your server IP/Port

Quite right @kuplion, I do have one. What I'm obviously not aware of is how to make that usable in ARMA 3. When I start the server, it just appears to publish the IP to the A3 Launcher system and not the DNS for the server by default. Do you know if there's a way to publish the Dynamic DNS instead of an IP for the server in the launcher?

Advertisement