boatdrnx

Repeated character corruption

Question

Hey all, I am hoping to find someone else whom may have experienced the issue one of my players is experiencing. He is experiencing the bug where he would log out and upon returning, he would be stuck on "spawn island" in first person view. Committing suicide just returns him to the island and the only way to fix the issue is to delete his character (player table) from the database. Unfortunately, this continues to happen every few days and only to him, no other user experiences the issue. I have been present many times when it happens and he is simply logging out and closing the Arma client as he should be doing.

Anyone have any idea why this would continually occur?

Thanks!

18 answers to this question

Advertisement
1 hour ago, boatdrnx said:

Hey all, I am hoping to find someone else whom may have experienced the issue one of my players is experiencing. He is experiencing the bug where he would log out and upon returning, he would be stuck on "spawn island" in first person view. Committing suicide just returns him to the island and the only way to fix the issue is to delete his character (player table) from the database. Unfortunately, this continues to happen every few days and only to him, no other user experiences the issue. I have been present many times when it happens and he is simply logging out and closing the Arma client as he should be doing.

Anyone have any idea why this would continually occur?

Thanks!

This condition happened on my server when i changed my respawn time to 6 seconds.

I had to create a database event that deleted all players that had a certain condition of hitpoints and bloodremaining i think. Anyway that solved it.

40 minutes ago, GamersRoost said:

This condition happened on my server when i changed my respawn time to 6 seconds.

I had to create a database event that deleted all players that had a certain condition of hitpoints and bloodremaining i think. Anyway that solved it.

I do not recall altering respawn time but could possibly increasing it help? The strange thing is that once I delete his player from the player table, he is fine for several days, then same issue again.

17 hours ago, Rappidxshots said:

try dropping him from all tables

Kinda a last resort thing hoping to not have to perform a full wipe.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, boatdrnx said:

I do not recall altering respawn time but could possibly increasing it help? The strange thing is that once I delete his player from the player table, he is fine for several days, then same issue again.

My suggestion is the way i fixed your issue.

Let me find the event query and i will post it here. I wish we could understand what actually causes this. I thought the hit points field was an issue, but i will be waiting on the Exile update so the SQL is fixed that way.

5 minutes ago, GamersRoost said:

My suggestion is the way i fixed your issue.

Let me find the event query and i will post it here. I wish we could understand what actually causes this. I thought the hit points field was an issue, but i will be waiting on the Exile update so the SQL is fixed that way.

Thank you very much, looking forward to what you come up with.

8 minutes ago, Z80CPU said:

It also possible that you're using a 'buggy' mod/mis-configured mod, that upon a certain event, causes it to 'fail'.  As an example, many years ago everything and every program worked on my system board BUT IE, FireFox would work, but not IE.  Come to find out, I had a bad system board.

Small issues can be a 'hint' towards a much larger issues.  Technology in general, is full of this sort of stuff.

An Example:

2. Minor errors suggest bigger problems underneath

Consider a noncritical error, such as a spelling mistake or two in the UI. Imagine a physician or nurse who pulls up her EHR application, and every time she adds an allergy or a medication, she sees a popup message confirming the save. Within that message are spelling errors such as "Do you wnta to continue to place the order for penicillian?" 

At first, it may be amusing, but over time it makes the user think of the application as a rushed job. Worse still, and naturally, it may lead her to question the quality of the application's other components. If the application's creators can't spell, can we trust them with complex calculations used to create medication dosages or financial investment calculations? I'd have my doubts. Sloppy, annoying errors cost you the trust and respect of your customers.

See:  https://techbeacon.com/4-ways-minor-bugs-can-lead-real-business-problems

I am not saying this is the case, it is wise to 're-examine' all of your 'stuff' on your end as well to ensure it is not a 'admin error'.  You could temporarily remove all non-exile mods and see what happens.

:)

This is so on point.

I did exactly the things you mentioned.

Something (presumably EXAD or Infistar never really mailed it down) was causing the players (multiple) to "lag" during bambi creation.

I want to run the mods i do (Yes thats 22 mods ) and provide the environment my players asked for. So i weighed the cost and asked the community.

I said "It may still happen, but cannot be longer than 10 minutes, and this MAY also cause you a monetary loss on your character when it happens upon log in"

100 - 0 vote to do it so I did.

I often suggest things here that I have personally already done, based on my due diligence performed personally, and almost every time, forget to mention those were the things i do.

Your lost is really on point and adds a ton of value, in my opinion.

Once i can get to the RDP ill look for that Query. But i will post the things i did before implementing such a radical fix.

Risk vs. reward on this for sure.

Josh

2 hours ago, Z80CPU said:

It also possible that you're using a 'buggy' mod/mis-configured mod, that upon a certain event, causes it to 'fail'.  As an example, many years ago everything and every program worked on my system board BUT IE, FireFox would work, but not IE.  Come to find out, I had a bad system board.

Small issues can be a 'hint' towards a much larger issues.  Technology in general, is full of this sort of stuff.

An Example:

2. Minor errors suggest bigger problems underneath

Consider a noncritical error, such as a spelling mistake or two in the UI. Imagine a physician or nurse who pulls up her EHR application, and every time she adds an allergy or a medication, she sees a popup message confirming the save. Within that message are spelling errors such as "Do you wnta to continue to place the order for penicillian?" 

At first, it may be amusing, but over time it makes the user think of the application as a rushed job. Worse still, and naturally, it may lead her to question the quality of the application's other components. If the application's creators can't spell, can we trust them with complex calculations used to create medication dosages or financial investment calculations? I'd have my doubts. Sloppy, annoying errors cost you the trust and respect of your customers.

See:  https://techbeacon.com/4-ways-minor-bugs-can-lead-real-business-problems

I am not saying this is the case, it is wise to 're-examine' all of your 'stuff' on your end as well to ensure it is not a 'admin error'.  You could temporarily remove all non-exile mods and see what happens.

:)

2 hours ago, GamersRoost said:

This is so on point.

I did exactly the things you mentioned.

Something (presumably EXAD or Infistar never really mailed it down) was causing the players (multiple) to "lag" during bambi creation.

I want to run the mods i do (Yes thats 22 mods ) and provide the environment my players asked for. So i weighed the cost and asked the community.

I said "It may still happen, but cannot be longer than 10 minutes, and this MAY also cause you a monetary loss on your character when it happens upon log in"

100 - 0 vote to do it so I did.

I often suggest things here that I have personally already done, based on my due diligence performed personally, and almost every time, forget to mention those were the things i do.

Your lost is really on point and adds a ton of value, in my opinion.

Once i can get to the RDP ill look for that Query. But i will post the things i did before implementing such a radical fix.

Risk vs. reward on this for sure.

Josh

Thanks again for the feedback, without question valuable suggestions. While there are a few unknown errors in my log file, I would suspect it would affect more than a single user if it was the culprit. Same goes for add-ons. I also know this person has a fairly beefy PC which should have no issue running Arma and all the mods. I even have another player with a terrible laptop whom is able to play without character corruption.

This seems to be related to the database which is admittedly my weakness.

4 minutes ago, boatdrnx said:

Thanks again for the feedback, without question valuable suggestions. While there are a few unknown errors in my log file, I would suspect it would affect more than a single user if it was the culprit. Same goes for add-ons. I also know this person has a fairly beefy PC which should have no issue running Arma and all the mods. I even have another player with a terrible laptop whom is able to play without character corruption.

This seems to be related to the database which is admittedly my weakness.

My issue faced many players, but always in the same condition in the DB when i did a comparison and "Audit" of sorts  (Whats similar in this case as the others). 

If this is only one player/User, I would not suggest taking any measure on your server honestly. Until it affects multiple (5 is the ITIL Standard for a problem to be an issue), I would target the player as the cause.

Josh

Advertisement