gfourth

What changes for PvE?

5 posts in this topic

Hey y'all,

I am wondering what tweaks, adjustments, settings, etc.  y'all make/change to your servers to enrich it for PvE??

I have a PvE server running and I am curious what others do to keep PvP from happening, and so on.

If you have infiSTAR you can disable PvP damage

1 person likes this

Advertisement

Couple of things I've seen on past servers I've played on (obviously not all could be implemented on the same server);

• Dedicated PvP zone (like a specific island or "ringfenced" area for those times people feel like duking it out in a designated area, worked well on big maps)
  • Disabled the flag stealing and other base raiding functionality
  • Extreme negative respect for killing other players, team kills are left at default levels as that's typically accidental.
  • Vehicles safe from damage at restart if locked and inside a territory

The only thing I've come across that is problematic on PvE servers at times is people roaming around when admins aren't on and destroying any player vehicles they can find outside a territory.

1 hour ago, Riker2335 said:

Couple of things I've seen on past servers I've played on (obviously not all could be implemented on the same server);

• Dedicated PvP zone (like a specific island or "ringfenced" area for those times people feel like duking it out in a designated area, worked well on big maps)
  • Disabled the flag stealing and other base raiding functionality
  • Extreme negative respect for killing other players, team kills are left at default levels as that's typically accidental.
  • Vehicles safe from damage at restart if locked and inside a territory

The only thing I've come across that is problematic on PvE servers at times is people roaming around when admins aren't on and destroying any player vehicles they can find outside a territory.

The vehicle protection is a great idea!

Yeah, I have set it so that PvP gets a punishment, big hit in rep, but that won't stop the people who say screw it and go on a rampage....  But I don't want to disable PvP damage, I want everyone to have to "check their fire" and know exactly what they're shooting at before pulling the trigger...  With PvP damage disabled there's no risk or penalty for making a mistake.

1 person likes this

Yeah, I don't like the idea of disabling PvP damage all the time either. For special events before they start?  Yeah, sure, but not all the time. As you said, there's no penalty for making the mistake of killing their buddy.... I remember shooting team mates thinking they were AI on my early days of Overpoch on a PvE server, the retribution was usually severe. You learn quickly.

Something else that might help but would need some coding is a change of the kill message for PvP. By default, it just says X player killed Y player. Maybe look into the killfeed mods and see if you can add a grid reference for the shooter or something.... might allow people to hunt anyone on a rampage?

Vehicle protection scripts are available on the forums here, just do a search :)  I haven't played on a server with them in quite some time and they were a bit buggy when I did so see how you go. I'm sure they are much better now.

Advertisement