Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caatalyst

PUBG - Exile mod

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Razzmatazz said:

The thinking "mod Exile into Game X because Game X is really popular right now" isn't really viable. PUBG is a round-based last man standing arena shooter, not a survival game. A survival game involves scavenging basic supplies (food, water, etc.) that you need in order to survive. The environment itself (and not only other players) poses a threat to the player. A survival game usually is slower-paced than most FPS games. They can involve long stretches of scavenging for supplies when not a lot of exciting action happens. PVP may not even be necessary in a survival game.

Last man standing arena shooters have become popular recently because they distill many survival game elements into a streamlined package. Yes, you loot for weapons and gear. Yes, you encounter other players and attempt to kill each other. But those elements are focused on in a different way than in survival games. The environment itself isn't really a danger to the player (to the extent it is a danger, it's only a means to the end of forcing players together to drive the PVP action). The goal is to kill other players, not overcome the adversity of the environment. Their round-based nature ensures that looted gear is temporary, and both victories and losses are fleeting. Because everything is reset after the end of the current round, there are no long-term goals. There is only the current match.

The essence of last man standing arena shooters is the narrowing down of players until only the victor remains, and then everything is reset. That type of game is fundamentally incompatible with the base building and permanence required for Exile. As such, PUBG is not a suitable platform for an Exile-style mod. Expect PUBG mods to focus on tweaking and refining the round-based nature of that game as that's its core competency. The fact that PUBG is popular doesn't make any difference. Overwatch is popular and developing an Exile mod for Overwatch (once modding support is added) would be absurd.

If you're going to mod a vehicle into a race car, you wouldn't choose to start with a lawn mower. You start with an already fast car (or at least a normal car) and make it faster. Some games are a more general platform than others. Arma is a very general platform, like a mainstream car. You can mod it in lots of ways that can make it perform many different roles. PUBG is a more specialized game, like a lawnmower. Sure, will likely be able to mod it in many different ways, but the platform is inherently more limited than if you were modding a car. Of course, someone could spend tons of time modding it so that it's not even recognizable as a lawn mower; but why would anyone spend the time doing that when they could expend less effort by starting with a more suitable platform at the beginning?

You do realise that Arma 3 also isn't a survival game ha? It was also never a LIFE game. The community modded those things in.

PUBG has all the same ingredients there as Arma although i definitely agree the combat / pace leans more to an arcade play style. Let's see what the PUBG community comes up with when modding drops then I guess. 

Edited by Caatalyst
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Caatalyst said:

You do realise that Arma 3 also isn't a survival game ha? It was also never a LIFE game. The community modded those things in.

PUBG has all the same ingredients there as Arma although i definitely agree the combat / pace leans more to an arcade play style. Let's see what the PUBG community comes up with when modding drops then I guess. 

Yes, the community modded those things in because Arma 3 is a very general platform, as I said above.

3 people like this

Advertisement
On 8/5/2017 at 9:32 PM, Arcarsenal said:

Had a look around some forums, and basically other modders ARE going to make an exile style mod for PUBG when it's open to modding, which is coming soon.

Not to teach the exile devs how to suck eggs, but if you don't get in there first, you will be ripped off, which would be a shame as I love Exile.

They just better be careful because we do have stuff copyrighted :P

2 people like this

5 hours ago, Flosstradamus said:

They just better be careful because we do have stuff copyrighted :P

Glad to hear.

I know it's been brought up before, but you guys should so do a stand alone :D!! I think there's a hell of a lot of gamers out there waiting for that one survival game to come along that ticks all the boxes. I think that Exile, with streamlined mechanics and a better looking engine would be that game. I mean, the entire current Exile community would buy it on early access. That's a pretty good start, I don't doubt it would gain a lot of interest 

Topic locked to much bantering... Exile is Exile.... PUBG is PUBG and we shall leave it at that.

1 person likes this

Advertisement