cannibalmerk

status bar install question

6 posts in this topic

So I followed the instructions to install a status bar (created an addons folder and an init.sqf file) put the status bar folder (unzipped) into the addons folder, added the 2 bits of coding into the init.sqf and description files. Started up the server and it work. Though for some reason It didn't recognize me as owning my territory anymore. Sell prices were 0. Traders had nothing to sell. couldn't pull tabs from the locker.... Basically broke the server. Does anyone know what might cause this? I'm very new to server scripting (have only tweaked rep requirments, loot spawn chance percentages, AI skill levels, nothing major) so I know I screwed up somewhere.

Hello Cannobalmerk,

What has happened is you have a 'typo' SOMEWHERE.  Too many:  ; : , [  ] { }  Or not enough!

NO ONE can tell you 'Hey on line 271, you need to add a semi-colon!' sadly.

Rule #1:  ALWAYS MAKE A BACK-UP ON ANY FILE YOU WILL BE MODIFYING!  ALWAYS!

Now, you can see why this rule is NUMBER ONE!  In your case, you could revert to the original files and 're-do' it.  This also INCLUDES THE DATABASE!  You can back this up via a program such as MySQL Workbench.  I have seen a weapons mod corrupt a DB before.  With a back up, you can restore the DB and not WIPE the DB as this person had to do!

Rule #2:  Use a program like NotePad++ for things.

In your case, there should always be a semi-colon at the end of every line (SQF files require it, SQS do not require this).  Count lines then count semi-colons - Should be the SAME number!

If you have 10 '{', then you SHOULD have 10 '}'.  Again, by using the 'count' feature within NotePad++.  All brackets ({} []) must be the SAME NUMBER.  5 lefts = 5 rights.  37 lefts = 37 rights.  44 lefts <> 43 rights.

Rule #3:  Sent you a PM on #3

Rule #4:  NEVER test on a 'live server'

If there are ANY ISSUES, your 'customers' will be PISSED!  Test on a 'test server'.  Have a few people log into it and help you test what ever you have installed.  IF it works, then make a BACK-UP of the LIVE SERVER FILES BEFORE REPLACING!  Maintain a running back-up of the 'different revisions' you have.  MAKE SURE you give each one a revision number- VERY IMPORTANT!  When you can, download those files to you local PC for safety.

:)

Edited by Z80CPU
1 person likes this

Advertisement

Thanks for the info. I just copy pasted from the forums here so I likely missed something. I had a really rough first day with the server (my firezilla was corrupting the fire transfers back onto the server). Luckily this is a test server, it's just me and my friend on it making sure everything works and testing out the tweaks made so far. I'm already using notepad++ which has been extremely useful and I already have a "clean" backup of my @exileserver and mpmissions folders on my computer with "changed" backups of those as well in case something goes wrong (like the status bar) so I can get it back going again quickly.

You're welcome.

Just make sure you backup everything.  This one thing can make all the difference in the world!

:)

Rule #5: Always post a server RPT so we can find the actual error.

Thanks kuplion, next time I run into something ill try to remember to post the RPT. I tried again last night and it didn't break the server, but it still doesn't work. The only odd thing in the RPT was a huge list about missing bones for skeleton... don't know what thats about.

I can't post it now since I'm at work but I'll try to snag it when I get home

Edited by cannibalmerk

Advertisement