MinkiSan

I need help

4 posts in this topic

I get the vanilla exile server up and working, add infiSTAR and then DMS, I even got the titles working in DMS as I wanted but that is pretty much where everything starts to go wrong every time. I've been at this for three days straight and at the moment the trader NPC characters are not showing up. They are missing, I am not sure if they have gone home for the night or if they have been abducted. Either way, they are gone, just when I got the toasts working!

I specifically bought a server so that my friends and I could play Exile with cool stuff happening and it seems like I cannot get there. Is there anyone that is willing to help me get the server running how I want. I don't want someone to do it for me but I would like to be able to get someone to check my work and maybe talk with me on TS as they watch me do things on Teamviewer and can tell me what I have been doing wrong. 

Its almost 1am and I need to sleep now but if you are around tomorrow and can help I would love to talk with you about what I am getting wrong. 

Thanks for looking. 

MinkiSan

Hello MikiSan,

It sounds like you have screwed up one or more, of the files.  File A can trash File B when loaded as an example.

Your BEST BET, is to start over.  Add something and BACK IT UP!  Test it, if it works, then add next thing, and then BACK THAT UP, etc.

ALWAYS keep MULTIPLE COPIES of these backups.

Example:  Exile.BU, Exile-VMF.BU, Exile-VMF-DMS.BU, Exile VMF-DMS-Tow.BU, etc.

If something does not work, you can 'roll back' the files to what did work and re-examine what you did/just added.

As it is now, it sounds like a big mess that I am afraid someone will not be able to tell you 'oh go to line 57 and that is the issue'.

Good luck!

:)

Advertisement
55 minutes ago, Z80CPU said:

Hello MikiSan,

It sounds like you have screwed up one or more, of the files.  File A can trash File B when loaded as an example.

Your BEST BET, is to start over.  Add something and BACK IT UP!  Test it, if it works, then add next thing, and then BACK THAT UP, etc.

ALWAYS keep MULTIPLE COPIES of these backups.

Example:  Exile.BU, Exile-VMF.BU, Exile-VMF-DMS.BU, Exile VMF-DMS-Tow.BU, etc.

If something does not work, you can 'roll back' the files to what did work and re-examine what you did/just added.

As it is now, it sounds like a big mess that I am afraid someone will not be able to tell you 'oh go to line 57 and that is the issue'.

Good luck!

Thank you, I have been pretty organised, I have a working PBO and can go back to it but I cannot move forward at the moment.

Here is the ultimate plan:

WHATS IN

Malden Silver
infiSTAR
DMS
ZCP

WHAT I AM WORKING ON NOW

Updated XM8 with Virtual Garage, halo parachute, Grinding, Hacking, igiload , deployable vehicles (bike and quad).

Monkeys Toast System.

WHATS NEXT 

Zombies on the radiation Island
A trader on the Radiation island that sells all helicopters, high end gear (No other traders will stock this stuff) 
Updated XM8 with Virtual Garage, halo parachute, Grinding, Hacking, igiload, deployable vehicles (bike and quad)

SOON

A trader on the Radiation island that sells all helicopters, high end gear (No other traders will stock this stuff) and no access to the island via boat except at one point at the end nearest the main island.
customisable status bar,

LATER
Scratch Cards
Occupation
Exile Expansion items and install. 
No access to the island via boat except at one point at the end nearest the main island.

Possibly
No Vehicles to Spawn on the Radiation Island
A bank that can be robbed with a message being sent to the server, the bank will have pop tabs in a safe that will need to be hacked and there will need to be a security force guarding the bank permanently. 
Deployable heli

Where I am stuck is that the instructions aren't specific enough for me. For example, the instructions for Monkeys toasts give me an error in the rpt that says it found a '.' instead of a '=', however, looking at the specific file and the text (I know the error line number is out) I cannot see a '.'. 

I am having issues with everything I am adding. This is my fourth day and I am still no further forwards.

MinkiSan

That is what I mean by 'File A' messing with 'File B'.

You have a typo somewhere.  This why you must roll-back to a working set of files and start from there.  If you cannot get the Monkeys toasts  to work then:

Do not use them

OR

Use something else

OR

Contact the author

I also just looked at his GitHub, the install is about as easy as you can get. 

1. If you do not have one already, copy the entire custom folder to your Exile.mapname folder, if you do, drag MWT into the custom folder etc.
  2. Copy code from the initPlayerLocal.sqf into yours (Must be positioned like mine.)
  3. Cope code from config.cpp into yours too. (Thanks Kuplion for the help on the override)
  4. Edit welcometoasts.sqf to suit your server. It's pretty straight forward so follow it's layout.
  5. Re-pack your PBO and launch the server to admire your new messages!

I do not know what to tell you.  IF you followed the instructions EXACTLY, then some other file is screwed up.  If you look at Monkey's page talking about this, it would appear that you are the only one with this error too.

Are you SURE you have the LATEST version?

Also he states CLEARLY:  "... if you have questions, come and ask me on TeamSpeak: ts3.gamingatdeathsdoor.com or www.gamingatdeathsdoor.com on my forums..."

This is in the README file.

I would recommend you do that.

Advertisement