Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedQA

PC Specs needed to run Arma Exile server ?

Question

PC Specs needed to run Arma Exile server ?

I have old dual core laptop would it be enough ?!

4 answers to this question

Hello RedQA,

Well, I use a dual core cpu for testing.  It can handle a few players.  But, this is not what you should be asking yourself.

#1 - how many people will play (max) at one time.

#2 - will my internet be able handle the up AND down stream traffic? (remember, all players are UPSTREAM traffic to you/server)

#3 - will my ISP even ALLOW this?  (most ISP's in the US forbid running any private server on a 'home account')

#4 - how many FPS's do you wish to have at any given moment?

#5 - how much 'up time' can you/do you have with the proposed ISP?

#6 - do you have stuff such as a power supply (UPS) for the laptop when the power goes out?

#7 - do you have any sort of backup plans in case of the laptop's failure?

:)

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Z80CPU said:

#1 - how many people will play (max) at one time.

i guess i will have to test when the lagg start and then limit the number

#2 - will my internet be able handle the up AND down stream traffic? (remember, all players are UPSTREAM traffic to you/server)

no issue 4 me

#3 - will my ISP even ALLOW this?  (most ISP's in the US forbid running any private server on a 'home account')

no issue 4 me

#4 - how many FPS's do you wish to have at any given moment?

60fps

#5 - how much 'up time' can you/do you have with the proposed ISP?

100% 24/7 360

#6 - do you have stuff such as a power supply (UPS) for the laptop when the power goes out?

yes

#7 - do you have any sort of backup plans in case of the laptop's failure?

maybe, i have other laptop that i use for QA tests

which guide you used to install all this stuff on your dual core?

Advertisement

If it's just for you and your friends an old dual core laptop will probably do it's job.
If you want to run a popular game server you probably want:

• very powerfull CPU: Intel CPU with a very good single thread performance, highest clock speed as possible
  • 8GB RAM should do
  • Lots of network bandwith; at least 100MBit Up/Down
  • SSD is optional, mostly helps with server boot times
  • Anti DDoS (best variant you can get)

^^

1 person likes this

I agree with Golova as well.  60 fps from a dual core?  It is NOT going to happen!  Most servers/players on those servers say about 30 fps is about it AVERAGE.  SP?  That is different.  MP server on a dual core and 60 fps?  Sorry!

Also, I would really consider the '100% uptime' statement too.  I have never seen an ISP state such.  As an example, they have no control over people who they get THEIR internet from, such as Tata, Cogent, or Level 3.  If your ISP is stating such, they are lying to you.  Or in a simpler way, I could not speak for you as to what you could or could not do at any time.

The problem with "...lagg start and then limit the number ..." is that when this happens, players will say 'screw this' and go to another server and never come back.  This is no different that you going to a new store that says they sell coke.  You get there and they are out of coke.  What do you do?  You LEAVE and take your business elsewhere.  That will be what will happen with you.

When you server is ON, 'play time/test time' is OVER.  It is the REAL DEAL.  'Test' with people and you will have a empty server.

You have to remember, if you're trying to 'attract' players, you are going up against many servers that have been around for a good while.  What are you going to offer that 50 other server are NOT?  'Testing' while live will not work.

Be unique, offer something that others do not, and have your server operational BEFORE launch.  By doing these things, you can ensure a good start to things!

:)

Advertisement