[HG] About_69_Ninjas™

Static IP Issue

Question

So on my previous routers when I set my computer on a static ip it made the public ip static as well. However with my current modem it does not. If my modem is restarted it changes. I have entered the modem settings and attempted to change the modem itself to static but this did not work. Changing it to static only made my wifi stop working beacuse it couldn't reach the dns, or that's what it said at least. I tried using Google's dns (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). I read that you have to purchase a static public ip from your ISP but I wanted to ask here and see of there are any other options or if im doing something wrong. Thanks

Edited by [HG] About_69_Ninjas™

4 answers to this question

Hello,

Setting a static ip on your router does NOT make your ISP give you a 'static ip'.  Most residental ISP's in the USA, utilize DYNAMIC IP ADDRESSES.  Every time your cable modem is rebooted and/or you change the MAC on the router, you will get a NEW IP ADDRESS.

There is NO 'fixing' this outside of buying a static IP from your ISP

OR

using a 'Dynamic DNS Service'  (most routers support this feature)

Capture.JPG

That's it!

:)

21 minutes ago, Z80CPU said:

Hello,

Setting a static ip on your router does NOT make your ISP give you a 'static ip'.  Most residental ISP's in the USA, utilize DYNAMIC IP ADDRESSES.  Every time your cable modem is rebooted and/or you change the MAC on the router, you will get a NEW IP ADDRESS.

There is NO 'fixing' this outside of buying a static IP from your ISP

OR

using a 'Dynamic DNS Service'  (most routers support this feature)

Capture.JPG

That's it!

:)

That's what I figured. Im trying to setup no-ip.com right now. I doubt theres anyway to make it show up on a3l with this option tho.

Advertisement

It also depends on who your provider is.   Mine is Charter Spectrum and my IP hasn't changed through numerous reboots.  It depends on their lease time.  Most should remain intact through a restart and retain the IP.  

1 hour ago, [HG] About_69_Ninjas™ said:

I doubt theres anyway to make it show up on a3l with this option

I have a server on a Dynamic IP and it does show up on the ARMA 3 launcher. However, if the IP changes between server restarts due to an internet dropout or modem crash, no one can connect until the next restart. I believe A3L works in the same way so yes, it should show up but there will be some odd behaviour.

Also, you can't really favourite the server in the launcher as that feature is IP based so it disappears from people's favorite lists pretty quickly.

So, yeah, only way to resolve it is to get a static IP from your ISP if they'll let you.

Advertisement