Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ephox

How to make Custom Launchers for gameserver?

9 posts in this topic

First of all, i don't know if this is the right place to post this. Second of all.

Hi! I'm wondering if it is possible to "easily" make a custom launcher for my server which can download the mods it uses (i can host the files myself.) and change parameter settings and login to the server. Would that be especially hard? I'm planning on putting quite a bit of mods on my server likes vehicles, weapons, clothing and some other stuff. I'd hate for the players to have to go to a bunch of websites to slowly download the mods and instead download it with good speed through a custom launcher. Could anyone help me with that?

"easily" really depends on the quality you want.

A really basic custom launcher, just downloading the scripts, can be made through java pretty easily, with all you having to do is pretty much google "how to download a zip file from a website with java".

Not really sure how fast it would be compared to a browser though, but I am sure if you looked you could find some code to do it fast.

If you are use eclipse, I believe the latest versions all come with a window builder built in, so creating a basic GUI would be easy.

Advertisement

"easily" really depends on the quality you want.

A really basic custom launcher, just downloading the scripts, can be made through java pretty easily, with all you having to do is pretty much google "how to download a zip file from a website with java".

Not really sure how fast it would be compared to a browser though, but I am sure if you looked you could find some code to do it fast.

If you are use eclipse, I believe the latest versions all come with a window builder built in, so creating a basic GUI would be easy.

What about those that for example CCG has? I've seen several custom launchers where they download the mods from a source. put it in the right folder (you choose.) Get a server list and has paramaters for for example -enableht ect which has a button on the side to toggle on/off. doesn't need to look so good. just basic gui with "category" buttons like (MODS) (SERVERS) (PARAMATERS) (FOLDER) or similar at the top and a bit of customization for colours and logos ect. I have no clue how people do this so help would greatly be appriciated!

Java has a class called Process, which is like a command prompt. You can supply the location of the .exe, and any mods for it to start.

You can get the user to input the folder location, which is easy, you just need to alter the download code, so it will download where the user chooses instead.

Googling "java unzip" will give you code on how to unzip a file.

For toggling on and off, you can use code to search through the folders looking for folders that start with @, and then add the name to an array, and let the user choose to turn it on or off.

Java has a class called Process, which is like a command prompt. You can supply the location of the .exe, and any mods for it to start.

You can get the user to input the folder location, which is easy, you just need to alter the download code, so it will download where the user chooses instead.

Googling "java unzip" will give you code on how to unzip a file.

For toggling on and off, you can use code to search through the folders looking for folders that start with @, and then add the name to an array, and let the user choose to turn it on or off.

I want a GUI/exe file not some command prompt thingy. Like A3Launcher, but not as advanced. 

You misunderstood what I said, but if your going to make a Custom Launcher, you got to be decent at coding, and you should of probably picked up on my wording.

There is a Class in Java called Process, which you can make it execute commands like a command prompt, e.g. pass it a command to run Arma3. it is not a command prompt, you can make the Process get created once you actually press "play".

Java is powerful, it can do pretty much everything that any other language can do, not sure how much experience you have had in programming, but maybe you should not aim to make a Custom Launcher yet.

You misunderstood what I said, but if your going to make a Custom Launcher, you got to be decent at coding, and you should of probably picked up on my wording.

There is a Class in Java called Process, which you can make it execute commands like a command prompt, e.g. pass it a command to run Arma3. it is not a command prompt, you can make the Process get created once you actually press "play".

Java is powerful, it can do pretty much everything that any other language can do, not sure how much experience you have had in programming, but maybe you should not aim to make a Custom Launcher yet.

Oh i see! I was kinda hoping there was like a launcher creator somewhere hidden out there or somone had a template or something.

This could maby be somthing like the one you are looking for... he has a guide showing what you need to change to make it work for yourself :-)

We are looking for exactly the same as you are...and i have zero experince in codeing, but try give it a shoot as i did :-D

BTW stille working on setting it up to what we need :-D

This could maby be somthing like the one you are looking for... he has a guide showing what you need to change to make it work for yourself :-)

We are looking for exactly the same as you are...and i have zero experince in codeing, but try give it a shoot as i did :-D

BTW stille working on setting it up to what we need :-D

Thanks! this is exactly what i was looking for. Im gonna go ahead and try the same!

1 person likes this

Advertisement