Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
<UGA>justinnicholson8

rumour mill concerning piece restriction for building

11 posts in this topic

There is a rumour circulating at the moment that bases will be restricted by Exile mod and not just individual servers.I have looked around on the forum and not seen anything written so if this could be either confirmed or denied in order to stop this sort of thing spreading.

Should this be true it will be a serious game killer for a large number of players who enjoy this aspect, I for one will be seriously miffed should this happen and would more than likely effect my willingness to continue with this mod.

This 'restriction' was temporarily placed on the server I play on and it caused a HUGE uproar with players leaving in numbers due to bases being destroyed when trying to move pieces etc. You can well imagine that this restriction was lifted on the very next server restart and seen to be completely detrimental to the game itself.

I can say this from what I have seen on that certain server is, should this be implemented, i would expect to see a drop in player base not your fly by night PvPers but dedicated players and groups that have been playing from the start.

Edited by <UGA>justinnicholson8
slight change

There needs to be a good middle ground. IMO this isn't minecraft. Players making super huge bases is unnecessary and puts extra frivolous load on the server. On the other hand, building keeps people occupied and allows them to expend their creative juices so they dont get bored as easily. How big was your base? Do you know what the number for the piece restriction was set to? You can offload constructions in the settings but I havent seen any posts on whether or not it is effective.

Edited by READTHESCROLL

Advertisement

Restrictions and limitations on building (building part limitations) is necessary if you want performance. With a full server (80-100 people) the building parts can come up to 11000-14000, which leads to huge lag for every player on the server, even if the server hardware is latest gen. processor architecture and clock speed, etc. - arma buckles and lags, and should the mod add a limit to building parts, that is to keep the mod running within acceptable limits.

You should really complain to BIS, because it's an engine issue that might force devs to consider this.

1 person likes this

The size was ridiculously restrictive 30 pieces for initial outlay then 60 pieces etc etc and for the cost in respect its just totally unrealistic to have such size restrictions especially when with a large group.

Agreed there needs to be a middle ground but taking away what I and many others enjoy a lot in the game is just going to piss people off, because lets face it, restrictions like that its pointless even building in the first place.

Also why would I complain to BIS when this is a rumour that Exile is carrying this out, therefore, it should be for the Exile devs to either confirm or deny such a rumour.

Edited by <UGA>justinnicholson8

I haven't heard anything from the exile dev team about any of this and it would seem rather stupid for them to restrict server owners as the whole reason exile was created was to have server owners have as much freedom as they like and change what they need to make a truly custom server. I think whoever told you this rumor is just an idiot and to create widespread panic. If a server owner placed a ridiculous cutoff point for buildables then just go find another server that doesn't have it as bad. Exile shits the bed at around 10k objects so some servers that are more popular do put in restrictions but they aren't as bad as some of the others that I have seen

If Exile ever did add something like this server owners could remove/configure it themselves. No need for any panicking. 

I do have a limit system on my server and feel it is necessary as some players have bases exceeding 700 objects and the 14,000+ total objects are starting to kill performance. No point to having giant bases if Arma becomes unplayable.

3 people like this

As Vishpala said, if we add something likes this, server owners can adjust this setting. So there is no need to rumor or freak out about this ;)

1 person likes this

Many thanks for the reply.

It was neither a freak out, panic or to rumour but rather the opposite if you had read my post correctly. The problem with rumours being allowed to gather momentum is that they can often become further and further from the often grain of truth that may have started them getting blown out of all proportions, which, eventually does what the majority of rumours do best and cause more problems for more people.

This is why I decided to post concerning this in order to get real clarification on the matter from the dev team

Keep up the outstanding work.

1 person likes this

Many thanks for the reply.

It was neither a freak out, panic or to rumour but rather the opposite if you had read my post correctly. The problem with rumours being allowed to gather momentum is that they can often become further and further from the often grain of truth that may have started them getting blown out of all proportions, which, eventually does what the majority of rumours do best and cause more problems for more people.

This is why I decided to post concerning this in order to get real clarification on the matter from the dev team

Keep up the outstanding work.

Justin,

Yeah, as we play on the same server, I've heard this too. I don't think it's an Exile thing, I think the server owners are doing this. It's not the first time they've implemented a change and said it was Exile and not them. I don't think the "blame" of where this change comes from is meant to be pointed at the Exile Devs, it's just the info has been handed around between Admins and Devs on the server and people aren't all straight in their understanding of what is going on.

I thought the radius being limited by respect was intended to combat this, but obviously players still op to build up rather than out. Could this not be used in a kind of dome way to restrict building upwards too?

I like that there is no limits to the number of items per flag presently and even like the idea of expansion being tied to respect/clan respect (or even currency), but I could see it being a problem for larger servers long-term. I don't think I'd be too opposed to a numerical  restriction of parts being applied to each players flagpole (set by server admins), not if it was all in the interest of keeping servers stable. 

Edited by Boxman80

Advertisement