Spartan

The Endgame, or Long Term Gameplay Strategies

6 posts in this topic

I think the number one issue game and mod developers, server admins, and players have to struggle with to achieve long term success and interest is focusing on the end game. I love Exile and all that the developers and modders have done here. I enjoy playing it. I enjoy customizing our server to make it more interesting for the players. The devs have a roadmap they are working towards and have created excellent content. We as a community need to look forward strategically and figure out what features will make the game enjoyable to play long term. It can't just be loot up, get rich, build a big base and stuff it with vehicles and gear, and shoot each other. I mean, I like that stuff, but it gets boring. Heck, that happens with all games I guess, but I would like Exile to live long and prosper!

One strategy to keep players involved longer is making the good vehicles and gear more expensive. That's an interim fix at best.

Clans and base wars seems to be one longer term gameplay strategy the devs are working on, and that's cool. I mostly like what they are doing there. That will keep some people's interests for a while. But people play for different reasons and have different interests.

Expanding the crafting options might interest other people and keep them playing.

But what are some other things we can add to keep players interested long-term?

One idea is to play on the survival theme and actually reward players for staying alive as long as possible. Perhaps an "alive for" score or rewards tied to staying alive. (I'm aware Arma glitches can rob you of your life in an instant, but still). Someone else on these threads mentioned having a beard that grew the longer you were alive. Maybe it could also start turning grey. So, if you met someone in a trader with a Duck Dynasty style beard that had turned grey, you knew that dude had survived for a long time. When the player dies, they go back go a clean-shaven baby faced bambi. Maybe you could slowly earn respect by staying alive and that could accelerate as time went on. Maybe you could get discounted prices at the traders for being a "senior citizen" (having the mafia respect you because you were a hardcore survivor). For this to be meaningful, there might need to be a leaderboard that identifies those who have been alive the longest historically or who are currently alive the longest on the server. This could also generate interest to end that particular survivor's streak and give the needed motivation to the PVP guys.

Another idea might be to implement a player economy and tone down the superstore effect the traders have. That could tie into crafting as a viable longer term strategy. A player could open a hardware store and keep it stocked by taking the time to loot hardware items, chop wood, and craft base parts, if they enjoyed that method of gameplay and money making over gearing up and killing AI or other players. 

Perhaps separating out the traders so they weren't such a one stop shop. We could emphasize the looting aspect more, making it special to find that sweet sniper rifle or LMG instead of being able to buy them at the trader and fully kit up if you lose all your gear. This might also tie into the survival strategy, meaning you have something to lose when you die if your gear is not easily replaceable.

I know all of this is a lot of work, and one of more of these strategies might be actively in development; I'm not criticizing anyone by throwing this out. Just sharing some thoughts. I would love to hear other people's ideas for longer term game play.

Edited by Spartan
added idea; fixed typos
4 people like this

i have thought about this also.

there should be some evacutiation option on which you get some money or respect and then restart, so players will try more to survive and archieve the things needed for this instead of shooting every running something.

1 person likes this

Advertisement

there should be some evacutiation option on which you get some money or respect and then restart, so players will try more to survive and archieve the things needed for this instead of shooting every running something.

I could see something like a server message "hieve escaped from Exile with 24,000 respect and 38,560 poptabs, having survived for 62 hours and 13 minutes. We'll see how long he stays on the outside!"

I could see something like a server message "hieve escaped from Exile with 24,000 respect and 38,560 poptabs, having survived for 62 hours and 13 minutes. We'll see how long he stays on the outside!"

sounds nice, give this a rankboard and players will fight each other who survives longer :>  

I think for first they need to balance the prices of all weapons and equipment. It cant be true that you make 2 missions and have enough money to buy 6 times a full set of endgame gear. Because alot Servers use the standard exile prices.  

Advertisement