Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
THE RaVeN

Making Videos of Editing your server

11 posts in this topic

I am wondering if any one who has there own Exile Server is planing to release a few videos oh how to add and make changes to there server. For example installing infiSTAR or putting in an add-on or putting in a custom script. I would love for someone to teach me how to add vehicles and weapons to the traders for players to buy and sell tanks and rocket launchers. The problem I normally have is I am a visual learner and reading a wall of text is not something I can learn form. I see lot of videos of people that do it for Arma 3 Epoch but none yet for Exile.

Edited by THE RaVeN

Advertisement

Stopping the youtube movie and repeating what the guys did is not even close to breaking down an config manual step-by-step and copy/paste the commands.

The only advantage is the visual location of the files, but that's quick to learn since only a few matter. Typing a few changes in a text file is for admins also very much easier then sitting down for an hour an make a proper video.. starting over because you clicked something wrong is bad in movies, but easy in text files.

Get used to it. Break down installation files into easy steps, and grow from there. You will actually LEARN from it, instead of being a copy monkey repeating what the master showed you.

Edited by NedFox

I also like videos and they can come in handy sometimes. But in this case I find text instructions much better. For something like modding a server there are just too many variables and a video will likely leave you stuck because your setup doesn't match the one they have. Different hosts, operating systems, versions, file locations. etc etc.

Once you do it (and ultimately break it) a few times you start to get it and then you can adapt any written instructions to your needs. I'm still learning but I have learned a lot since I started several weeks back. And it was all from reading and not videos. Hell, I'm even writing Battleye filters now. =P

It just takes time. If you really get stuck on something then post in the Exile forum. The people here have helped me a lot. 

I disagree. A Lot of people such as myself are visual learners. And watching other people do there job is a great way to learn what to do and not do to. With some on talking in the background explaining how they got to this point and what will happen if you do it wrong. Back when I served in the Navy my job was to take apart jet engines then repair or replace damaged parts then put the engine back together. I learned more from watching someone and have them explain what they are doing then reading the manual. Reading text guides sometimes leave little to the imagination and not everyone is good at explaining in text on how to do something as complicated as editing a server.

I made this quick video. Have not had much interest in making more however.

Thanks for sharing John. I'm still learning - but I have two missions I am attempting to build myself (with the help and guidance of people here, of course!)... I enjoy making videos, but I have some small issues with getting footage (laptop, so no desktop capture with Shadowplay, only specific windows with OBS)... I might try to do a video if I can plan a design and I see a need for it...

The problem I have with text instructions is, as well intended and even as well produced as some ARE, others are not nearly as thought out and carefully communicated. I wonder sometimes how people can be responsible for functional code and scripts when the readme.txt's are so butchered lol... Also, there is a language barrier often times - though even as thick of an accent as someone like ShayGman has - I can SEE what he is doing with MCC enough to learn how to do it myself, where as I'm almost certain with a txt written by him - I would be lost. Awesome Creator, Great Skill, but without a video MCC would be useless for me. Just as an example.

We kinda do need some good flicks about things like trader customization, installing popular addons / tools, setting up custom servers with watermarks and the whole shabang... If we give 200 normal server owners the tools to get up to speed quickly - who knows what 10 of them might come up with - ya know?! ... I don't think it would be a waste of effort :D

Edited by Uncle Boom
4matting

Id love to see one on battleye filters... I've looked at the guides on here, and just dont know where to put the != and /n

On 13/11/2015, 21:54:59, spdghost said:

Id love to see one on battleye filters... I've looked at the guides on here, and just dont know where to put the != and /n

When I do my bE filters all i do is before every " you put a \ 

E:G  

7 loadFile !="loadFile \"\A3\animals_f\Snakes\scripts\randomize.sqf"

Would look like 

7 loadFile !=\"loadFile \"\A3\animals_f\Snakes\scripts\randomize.sqf\"

Its that simple. 

Just remember if you get #46 you need to add 2 and filter line 48.

Edited by kidesh

Advertisement