Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wasti

Feedback Request: WIP: Beaver Island Terrain

Beaver Island Development Questions   17 members have voted

1. 1. Which option do you like best for the outlaying islands?

• Option 1, try to make it like the real place
    • Option 2, give us space to build stuff
    • Option 2_B, give us space but we don't want to starve
    • Option 3, let there be cities
  2. 2. Should Additional Building/Structure mods be used?

• No, use only arma 3 buildings, it makes the download small, and loot just works.
    • Yes, we love extra buildings, they add depth to the map and we don't mind the extra ~3GB download for extra structures.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been tossing ideas around in my head on how this terrain should be done and I have a few options that I think would be viable.

Let me start off by saying in real life, the outlaying islands are basically trees, with very few buildings on them. This makes the sub islands pretty much useless and very boring for standard game play in Arma.

However, it is possible to spice things up a bit and just put some cities and roads out there. (not even going to try to make a big bridge across though, unless people REALLY want it lol)

OR, it's also possible to not put cities out there, but instead make a few open paths and open fields on them, to allow for player added bases/buildings/tradingposts/cities/ect.

Here are a few screen shots, and some concept shots to try to better describe the 3 options.

Option beaver_1: LEAVE BEAVER ALONE!!!! basically try to keep the map somewhat resembling the real life place and don't add anything to those outlaying islands.

Option beaver_2: if you look at the mask image below (the yellow one) you'll notice I've already carved out some grasslands in the forest. This area would largely remain untouched, however open space would be available for server operators to add in any custom stuff/buildings, and allow players dedicated space to build bases in game. From the server side, I guess it would be possible to have the main island a 'pvp zone' and the outlaying islands a safe zone for base building, or have teleport. or leave it alone and then people have to find boats to get there ;)

Option beaver_2_option_B_WTF?!: so option 2 but I'll add in just a few buildings on the outlaying islands just so that loot spawns for players that are on those islands.

Option 3: this is supposed to be the future and maybe this set of islands had a lot of construction resulting in a lot of cities and towns on the outlaying islands. I don't have any concept art for this option, but basically I would put a city or 2 per outlaying island and they would just become very similar to the main island.

beaver_1.jpg

beaver_2_mask.jpg

Shameless self bump, please don't hate me lol. It's been almost a month and only one person has voted... :(
I've been working on another project but that's almost done and I will have more time to come back to working on this map, please vote and leave comments :)

Advertisement

Well my other project is taking longer than expected. (who would have thought that coding drivers in C for linux for i2c and 1-wire IC's would be difficult? )

Anyway, I'm glad to see a bit more response to the poll, and unless the results of the poll change dramatically from people voting - I will be using most if not all of the building addons possible. (Big shoutout/thanks to Aussie for posting his building's on steam workshop separately from his terrain.)

The first public version probably won't be for a few weeks at least unless I find some more time, or finish my other project earlier than expected.

personally am not liking the shape of the islands or size . its tough task to take and a lot of work i would hate if you were to do it all and people don't like the size or islands, i think you should spend more time getting feedback on how the terrain would look get more options and go with the most popular choice.

I'm not sure that I understand what your asking Aggro, what about the shape/size of the islands don't you like? I'm open to hear opinions, just don't expect me to completely redo the islands' height field unless there is a lot of support for it ;)

I imported the height field from satellite data obtained from NASA. Beaver islands are a real place, part of Michigan USA. The population was 551 in year 2000.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Beaver+Island,+MI/@45.6657709,-85.6983488,11z

Oh real place that makes a difference then I guess, my initial thoughts are too many islands not connected together water to land ratio looks high and in favor of water. Its cool that you are basing it on a real place, good look with your project .

Advertisement