Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Choppra

Custom Modular Launcher for Communties - Thoughts?

10 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I've created a custom launcher for a community (ATD).  It does not have downloading (without a proper CDN its just not worth it and Exile is a small mod and easy to install).

What's the point you ask?

1) You can refresh the current player list and see who's online.

2) The app can check into a remote server and download new launch params, update server lists, and display a message of the day.

3) You can customize the app background, clan logo/site logo, title, icon and name of the launcher and much much more.

4) I will also give a template to create your own custom installer using a free version of a program.

Now, I'm still finishing up the minor details and honestly, I don't even know if i would release it.  I moonlight as a programmer so this isn't something I normally work on.

P.S - Yes, I know A3 Launcher exists and does a very good job but this was made for a single community (ATD) and now that I've made it Modular - you can use it for your own community.  The point is not to find a new server.  The point is to let your active community members get news, updates and see whos online.

Is there any interest?  If not, I won't bother releasing it.

2WcFy66.png

Example of the Server Config:

[servers]
count=5

name1=Arma 2 DayZ Epoch Chernarus
type1=arma2
ip1=5.39.72.122
port1=3800
qport1=8011
launchparams1=@Dayz_Epoch;

name2=Arma 2 DayZ Overpoch Taviana
type2=arma2
ip2=5.39.72.122
port2=3068
qport2=8021
launchparams2=@Taviana;@DayzOverwatch;@Dayz_Epoch;

name3=Arma 3 ExileZ Chernarus
type3=arma3
ip3=5.39.72.122
port3=2400
qport3=2401
launchparams3=@Exile;@Ryanzombies;@allinarmaterrainpack;

name4=Arma 3 ExileZ Taviana
type4=arma3
ip4=5.39.72.122
port4=2500
qport4=2501
launchparams4=@Exile;@Ryanzombies;@CUP_Weapons;@ASDG_JR;@NATO_Rus_Vehicle;@TavianaA3;@allinarmaterrainpack;

[message]
display=1
message=A3 ExileZ Taviana server updated to Taviana A3 Map 0.3.8.1. Check the website for details!

Edited by Choppra
2 people like this

Dam.. that's awesome dude.

Reminds me of something CCG had for the short period of time I bothered playing on their servers.  Didn't care for their server though.. Seem like a haven for the glitchers but that's another story.

Would be cool if you have a placement for a clan/server logo.  On the right side of the buttons maybe so that anyone who acquired it can put their server/clan logo on it.

I love the fact that the servers are manually entered into a config file and not dependant on a query that sometimes doesn't update in a timely fashion.

Edited by Brez

Advertisement

Thanks!

Yeah so all the logos/background images, title is all customizable.

There is another config file where you define all that and when the launcher loads, it loads all those params.

I'm going to create a wiki for it with instructions on how to customize it.  I may add a download mods feature but i'm not 100% sure yet.  I have that part of the code completed its a pain in the ass.

So essentially, if you don't use any images it will just be all grey.

I think this could be very useful for some players.  It could also be a pain for other players who tend to frequent multiple servers.  If this tool catches on and lots of communities use it then players will have a dozen or so different launchers to use for different servers, which could get cumbersome and confusing.  However, if communities have the option to use it I think it would be a big help for players who have trouble figuring out how launchers and mods work.  The pluses may outweigh the minuses in this case.  

thanks for that input!  Yeah, honestly with these types of persistent mods - players tend to stick around for a long time.  ATD has a huge population of players that live there.  Many have been banned or move don but i still play with a few of the same guys.. i've lost count of the years.

1 person likes this

No, no point. A3Launcher does it perfectly fine.  Also, most of the mods now you can subscribe to the Workshop.  Also, Exile is small enough where anyone can download it quickly.

9 minutes ago, Choppra said:

No, no point. A3Launcher does it perfectly fine.  Also, most of the mods now you can subscribe to the Workshop.  Also, Exile is small enough where anyone can download it quickly.

Ok Thats Right. ;)  

Advertisement